Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI CrystalSky Monitor Owner Discussion by Advexure

Picked up my 5.5" CS from Advexure today which believe it or not has been sitting there waiting for me to pickup for over a week! What's the story for FW? Should I update or leave it where it's at?... already got prompted for an update available

Reactions: Advexure
Picked up my 5.5" CS from Advexure today which believe it or not has been sitting there waiting for me to pickup for over a week! What's the story for FW? Should I update or leave it where it's at?... already got prompted for an update available

Pretty sure it's good to update it. Updates the apps and the OS.

Reactions: Advexure
Anyone tested the Crystalsky in the heat, versus the useless Ipads?

Well @licensed pilot, we took your request and put a CrystalSky in the hands of a good friend of ours and sent him off to Baker, CA – home of the world's tallest thermometer, just south of Death Valley, where the record for the hottest temperature in the entire WORLD has been recorded at 134°F.

Advexure-CrystalSky-Temp-Test.jpg

From Robert, "Temps up to 118 degs! Everything was so hot you could not touch it, but never lost picture once! When I get back home and settled I'll provide more info"

**DJI has the CrystalSky spec'd at a max operating temperature of 104℉.

More information to follow...

Last edited:
Well here are the results from a CrystalSky Heat Performance Test from Mr. Robert Starling. Valuable information that all us SW United States drone pilots have been waiting for! How does the CrystalSky perform in scorching heat???

DJI CrystalSky Monitor Heat Test & Review
by Las Vegas Drone Operator Robert Starling, SOC

First, a huge shout out to our amazing UAV system support team partners at Advexure for the demo unit!

DATE: July 15, 2017 - 3:10pm PST
TEMP: 115-118 degs F - 9% Humidity
AIRCRAFT: Inspire 2
CAMERA: X5S with Olympus Zuiko 25mm lens
TABLET: 2017 iPad Pro
PHONE: 2017 iPhone 7 Plus

PROCEDURE:
Both the iPad Pro and the DJI CrsytalSky 5.5" monitor were placed in the back of my pickup truck camper top with windows open in Los Angeles and made the 2.5 hour trip across the Mojave desert until we at were at full ambient temperature of approx 115-118 degs in Baker, CA to assure neither system had the advantage of being cooled in the cab of the truck prior to the test. Our personal iPhones used to film this had been inside the truck with us. This is for us here a real world scenario of a typical day of heat / work.

RESULTS:
The first filming iPhone 7 overheated during the first take in under two minutes despite coming straight out of the AC cooled truck interior. The second filming iPhone lasted about four minutes before overheating despite coming out of the cooled truck interior. The "preheated" iPad Pro used in the heat test overheated before we could test it despite sitting in the shade. The "preheated" DJI CrystalSky 5.5" monitor operated normally as advertised for about 40 minutes with no signs of faulting but my assistant and I were personally overheating and ended the test / review to get cooled off in the truck and re-hydrate. Even our shoes got super hot.

COMMENTS:
I am fully aware these temperatures are likely outside the normal recommended operating temperatures of the tablets, phones, Inspire 2 and DJI CrystalSky monitor. These temps are also deadly for humans as well. The reality is that working in Las Vegas / Desert Southwest means we shoot when the clients need us and our clients don't always plan for times of year when we have more reasonable temperatures and weather.

OPINION:
Based on today's test results I feel very confident that the DJI CrystalSky 5.5" monitor can, with some care and attention work in even the most extreme heat we are faced with for a full day.

Robert Starling, SOC
Las Vegas, Nevada
FAA Licensed Drone Operator

Well here are the results from a CrystalSky Heat Performance Test from Mr. Robert Starling. Valuable information that all us SW United States drone pilots have been waiting for! How does the CrystalSky perform in scorching heat???

DJI CrystalSky Monitor Heat Test & Review
by Las Vegas Drone Operator Robert Starling, SOC

First, a huge shout out to our amazing UAV system support team partners at Advexure for the demo unit!

DATE: July 15, 2017 - 3:10pm PST
TEMP: 115-118 degs F - 9% Humidity
AIRCRAFT: Inspire 2
CAMERA: X5S with Olympus Zuiko 25mm lens
TABLET: 2017 iPad Pro
PHONE: 2017 iPhone 7 Plus

PROCEDURE:
Both the iPad Pro and the DJI CrsytalSky 5.5" monitor were placed in the back of my pickup truck camper top with windows open in Los Angeles and made the 2.5 hour trip across the Mojave desert until we at were at full ambient temperature of approx 115-118 degs in Baker, CA to assure neither system had the advantage of being cooled in the cab of the truck prior to the test. Our personal iPhones used to film this had been inside the truck with us. This is for us here a real world scenario of a typical day of heat / work.

RESULTS:
The first filming iPhone 7 overheated during the first take in under two minutes despite coming straight out of the AC cooled truck interior. The second filming iPhone lasted about four minutes before overheating despite coming out of the cooled truck interior. The "preheated" iPad Pro used in the heat test overheated before we could test it despite sitting in the shade. The "preheated" DJI CrystalSky 5.5" monitor operated normally as advertised for about 40 minutes with no signs of faulting but my assistant and I were personally overheating and ended the test / review to get cooled off in the truck and re-hydrate. Even our shoes got super hot.

COMMENTS:
I am fully aware these temperatures are likely outside the normal recommended operating temperatures of the tablets, phones, Inspire 2 and DJI CrystalSky monitor. These temps are also deadly for humans as well. The reality is that working in Las Vegas / Desert Southwest means we shoot when the clients need us and our clients don't always plan for times of year when we have more reasonable temperatures and weather.

OPINION:
Based on today's test results I feel very confident that the DJI CrystalSky 5.5" monitor can, with some care and attention work in even the most extreme heat we are faced with for a full day.

Robert Starling, SOC
Las Vegas, Nevada
FAA Licensed Drone Operator

Very nice. Good info and cool dude. Wonder if the 7.85 model of CS will have the same robustness to heat, especially the brighter one.

Any date on extra CS batteries? @Advexure

A nice comparison exhibiting the CrystalSky in full sun and in shade. This is the CrystalSky 7.85" High Brightness (1000-nit).

CrystalSky - Sun.jpg

CrystalSky - Shade.jpg
Compliments and credit to Tony Sewell. Thanks for sharing, Tony.

A nice comparison exhibiting the CrystalSky in full sun and in shade. This is the CrystalSky 7.85" High Brightness (1000-nit).

View attachment 14930

View attachment 14931
Compliments and credit to Tony Sewell. Thanks for sharing, Tony.

Not sure what that proves. The camera that took the shot would have been exposing for the screen so it will look the same? Unless the photographer kept the camera on manual and kept the settings the same for both shots.

Reactions: cvanhoose
Just a quick one - the DJI app for iOS has been updated - how does this translate to updates for the apps on the CS? Will they be pushed via the 'system update' setting or is there a way to get them another way? I understand this is an Android device but as and when the updates do come is the 'system update' the only official place to get them from?

Just a quick one - the DJI app for iOS has been updated - how does this translate to updates for the apps on the CS? Will they be pushed via the 'system update' setting or is there a way to get them another way? I understand this is an Android device but as and when the updates do come is the 'system update' the only official place to get them from?

I believe the updates will always notify you with more or less a push notification on the CrystalSky unit.

I believe the updates will always notify you with more or less a push notification on the CrystalSky unit.

Ah ok. It's just that it seems others are on newer versions of the dji go app on their CS devices. I'm 4.1.0 on the 5.5 screen

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu