Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Does the X5R use standard 2.5" SSDs?

Oh the images it seems pretty obviously narrower than standard microSATA, so it strongly suggests a proprietary form factor.

Because the Phantoms don't need to pump up to 2.4Gbps of data into it. This exceeds the capabilities of a standard microSATA drive, and off the shelf alternatives that are capable of it are either significantly larger or not designed for frequent insertion/removal - hence the need to make their own to ensure reliability both mechanically and in terms of transfer speeds.

They did, but it's on the other side and thus (probably intentionally) hidden on that particular one.

That's likely nothing more than an invalid autogenerated suggestion because there's SSD in the description. Especially given it's actually 2.5" and definitely won't fit in there.
my guess is still a micro ssd. most ones today are sata3 with 6Gbps which is way more than needed for the system and you can get them off the shelf. propriatery would just be another thing to be special. micro sd cards weren't reinvented... everybody cooks with water and so is DJI. some things need to go through the - make or buy thinking- and micro ssd would dumb to reinvent. embossing the logo on them is like making a keychain for your company workers so the buy a s**t load and let them put the logo / rebrand them on. like with the lenses for the x5 series. rebranded olympus or panasonic lens...
:)
cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my guess is still a micro ssd. most ones today are sata3 with 6Gbps which is way more than needed for the system and you can get them off the shelf.
Yet those I find with the matching interface/form factor are firstly rare, and only seem to have about 200MB/s write performance at best (the X5R needs 300+, sustained).
Interface speed and what the memory can actually "absorb" are different things. Then doing so reliably and consistently is yet another... see portable video recorders. Those that allow off the shelf media to be used have to maintain lists of drives that work, drives that may skip/stop on you unpredicatably, those that are pretty much guaranteed to cause you to lose all your data at least once a week, those that delay system boot by a minute for no reason, etc. The others make their own media that is reliable at a professional level and "just works" even if it costs 4x more, and that's typically how DJI does things so I don't expect it to be different here.

Oh the images it seems pretty obviously narrower than standard microSATA, so it strongly suggests a proprietary form factor.

Because the Phantoms don't need to pump up to 2.4Gbps of data into it. This exceeds the capabilities of a standard microSATA drive, and off the shelf alternatives that are capable of it are either significantly larger or not designed for frequent insertion/removal - hence the need to make their own to ensure reliability both mechanically and in terms of transfer speeds.

They did, but it's on the other side and thus (probably intentionally) hidden on that particular one.

That's likely nothing more than an invalid autogenerated suggestion because there's SSD in the description. Especially given it's actually 2.5" and definitely won't fit in there.

Ah yes, it was on an OSMO, thus upside down.

The other side shows the SSD. And anyway I don't think it's going to be released anytime soon! Still so many problems with the X5.

The other side shows the SSD. And anyway I don't think it's going to be released anytime soon! Still so many problems with the X5.[/QU

Lets hope they figured out to go with a dedicated processor that has its own video out channel instead of tapping in the data stream causing clocking rate issues. It cant cost more than a couple dollars more for the correct processor, I looked them up but never checked price point. They have nearly an identical footprint.

Oh perhaps I know something !:p
Thanks for your kind words but........ take another look at any pictures you can find on the internet at the X5R with SSD in place. The media has 'DJI' embossed on the enclosure. :cool:
Of course these are Pre-Production images but...................

My apologies for my snarky comment earlier, and an admission that you were right, both on the fact that it will be a proprietary form factor wrapped around a microSATA III board, and because the price will be north of most guesses in this thread. :eek:

This after a private conversation with someone who has been beta testing them.

Reactions: The Editor
My apologies for my snarky comment earlier, and an admission that you were right, both on the fact that it will be a proprietary form factor wrapped around a microSATA III board, and because the price will be north of most guesses in this thread. :eek:

This after a private conversation with someone who has been beta testing them.
No worries. :)
I have a pretty good relationship into DJI and sometimes see/hear things that might be deemed even 'pre beta'.
However, I also have a completely separate and distinct NDA in place outside of the usual beta/Centrecode agreements.
I always share what I am able to on this forum. :)
Thanks for coming back on this one - it's appreciated.

Reactions: Quadpilot
No worries. :)
I have a pretty good relationship into DJI and sometimes see/hear things that might be deemed even 'pre beta'.
However, I also have a completely separate and distinct NDA in place outside of the usual beta/Centrecode agreements.
I always share what I am able to on this forum. :)
Thanks for coming back on this one - it's appreciated.

Even for the lord of the rings the crown weighs heavy for an eloquent King

Last edited:
Reactions: damoncooper
d266def.jpg

I don't know what kind of crack DJI is smoking with these prices!

Someone will surely ID the OE vendor and 3D print a caddy for it. It's likely NVMe M.2 SSD which can support a 1.6GB/s continuous write speed.

The Samsung 950 pro 512Gb sells for $350 and you can get it same day delivered on Amazon!

Jesus, $1500 for the SSD? That's ridiculous. Tough to justify that cost especially considering SSDs are available for fractions of the price...
Unless they lower the prices substantially I can confidently say I will not be buying the X5R and instead waiting and hoping for something middle-ground in a new camera (read: ProRes record to SD/microSD)

with people like damon me and others around there will be made ways to use other 1-1.8" ssd for a normal price which are usable. there is also no need to get that reader for a 100bucks just a normal USB 3 docking staion will do i am sure.

with people like damon me and others around there will be made ways to use other 1-1.8" ssd for a normal price which are usable. there is also no need to get that reader for a 100bucks just a normal USB 3 docking staion will do i am sure.

I would like to include myself with this, I have 2 Flashforge Pro's ready to print.... This is unbelievable price gouging. I would not be surprised if DJI implemented some protective firmware to make sure only their SSD will work.

I would like to include myself with this, I have 2 Flashforge Pro's ready to print.... This is unbelievable price gouging. I would not be surprised if DJI implemented some protective firmware to make sure only their SSD will work.
that is what I was talking about. Also why I said others (don´t know everyone by their name). I also have a 3D printer ready for stuff if needed. :)
I have an Objet 30 :)
I don´t think there will be a special FW for the SSD as for the SD cards... would backfire when needed to format or test. what if I want to have a 1TB SDD for more storage and possibility... will they charge me 2000 for it? that would be ridiculous.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk