Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Drone Headset: VR or FPV?

Reaction score
They come in all sizes and features. Fatshark makes one. So does Spectrum. For those not familiar with the FPV product, goggles are considered an upgrade due to a more immersive view that is unaffected by sunlight. Even those who have shortsightedness can use the goggles provided that they can see an object clearly enough from 2-3 meters away.

Personally, I have never had an experience with goggles for a simple reason, I am too consumed at looking at the drone in the air to make sure I am not hitting anything. I am sure there are those who would claim that flying with the goggles would be safe enough. However, I have never been completely sold on this fact.

Goggles are divided into two categories: FPV (for racing) and VR for Consumer Drones. Here is what is said about both:

goggles-jpg.73740

I agree with you on needing to keep your eye on the bird in the air.. Besides.. FPV does not meet the FAA's criteria for "See and Avoid".

Reactions: licensed pilot
I would love to see an updated Google glass that allows for keeping an eye on the bird in the air and an occasional "peek" at the fpv as confirmation.

Have you guys seen the epson movario bt300. Runs on android, no need for a tablet since you can run the DJI go app right from the goggles through a small handheld controller and and and you can maintain los because the glass is clear. $800 is a lot of money but I am very very curious on how they perform

About to ask the same question. Am i incorrect to believe VR benefits are the following like better resale worth, more flexible, greater engagement, more assistance, greater resolution?

Have been using the BT300's on an Inspire 1 Pro for the last 2 months and after initial teething problems with comfort I would not go back to a screen on controller mode. I need eye correction glasses so managed to fit lense's into the supplied plastic cups which worked great. I have a clear - very clear view of the fpv and can see the drone los as well.
Just acquired the Rochester Sovereign shield thigummy that adds an elasticated holder for your head. That works ok but fitting it together was a nightmare and if you want to change the sunglass don't expect a two minute change. You need lots of patience.

Have been using the BT300's on an Inspire 1 Pro for the last 2 months and after initial teething problems with comfort I would not go back to a screen on controller mode. I need eye correction glasses so managed to fit lense's into the supplied plastic cups which worked great. I have a clear - very clear view of the fpv and can see the drone los as well.
Just acquired the Rochester Sovereign shield thigummy that adds an elasticated holder for your head. That works ok but fitting it together was a nightmare and if you want to change the sunglass don't expect a two minute change. You need lots of patience.

Interesting Can you cash maps in the back ground or do you need the internet ?

Interesting question. - It caches with the X5 but not the X3 - have not figured out why yet. Something I am doing wrong I am sure. May be because you need internet connection whenever your in a specific area and download the map data and then it works !!

Do you need glasses for near sight or far sight ? I'm a little of both ???? Just wondering if they will work for me ?

Presume so. I wear glasses and have adapted the BT300's with some lenses and they work perfectly. Bit of a fiddle but very worth while. ;-)

I see a lot of older post on the Glyph headset and I'm on the fence if should or should not buy them. The company is on to other things. So does any body have a pair and do you like them and how long do they last. The other thing is price some are cheap and others are expensive $160 to $375 is there cheap knockoffs to look out for ??????

Just joined recently, looking to see if there’s any new recommendations regarding what system to use with I2/x4s with regard to goggles or glass? Been trying to find a used pair of BT-300 glasses or perhaps a better experience in the newest 4-antenna DJI goggle or RE goggle? Guess I don’t have privileges yet to post WTB in classified yet. I do like the idea of full immersion but maybe the glasses are more usable (with big brother LOS rules and all). Probably not bad either way. I’m all ears...

You get what you pay for !!. Go cheap and get cheap quality and unreliabilty !! - My BT-300's have served me really well over the last year and were worth every penny. Being able to see everything the Inspire see's and able to maintain line of sight as well.
I have also added an FPV camera and 2nd screen so I can switch between the two when a camera person is operating the 2nd controller for the camera.
Should I sell my complete kit I am sure to get good value back as well.
Remember, if you are licensed for commercial operations, LOS (Line of sight) is part of your license. BT-300's give you that as well as a drone view.
Immerse googles do not !!.

You are flying an object of some weight in the sky which people on the ground may not be aware of. If all goes wrong - YOU are the pilot and the person responsible for ALL DAMAGE'S and INJURIES. ???

Be safe - fly safe - be responsible.
:)

They come in all sizes and features. Fatshark makes one. So does Spectrum. For those not familiar with the FPV product, goggles are considered an upgrade due to a more immersive view that is unaffected by sunlight. Even those who have shortsightedness can use the goggles provided that they can see an object clearly enough from 2-3 meters away.

Personally, I have never had an experience with goggles for a simple reason, I am too consumed at looking at the drone in the air to make sure I am not hitting anything. I am sure there are those who would claim that flying with the goggles would be safe enough. However, I have never been completely sold on this fact.

Goggles are divided into two categories: FPV (for racing) and VR for Consumer Drones. Here is what is said about both:

goggles-jpg.73740
You can't comply with 107.31 with goggles:
§ 107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

You can't comply with 107.31 with goggles:
§ 107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

I think you missed something, it says "unaided". The goggles do not aid your vision, and you can still maintain visual line of sight. That rule was meant so someone can't use binoculars to maintain line of sight. The problem I see with them is they limit your peripheral vision. I'm prefer a FPV so I do focus on the tablet more than the drone. Fact is I can tell more about what the drone is doing from a FPV verses watching it.

I think you missed something, it says "unaided". The goggles do not aid your vision, and you can still maintain visual line of sight. That rule was meant so someone can't use binoculars to maintain line of sight. The problem I see with them is they limit your peripheral vision. I'm prefer a FPV so I do focus on the tablet more than the drone. Fact is I can tell more about what the drone is doing from a FPV verses watching it.
perhaps we are talking past each other. The glasses do allow some ability to maintain LOS , not the goggles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phuketdivecenter