Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Drone Location Determination

Reaction score
Is there anyway to determine the GPS location of the I2 when hovering? My work involves locating objects on the ground and reporting the locations to others. I was hoping to hover over the object and somehow determine the coordinates.

There is an app called "EXIF Tool" that you can download and put on your desktop (Windows). If you drag any unedited MP4, JPG, or DNG file off the drone onto the EXIF Tool desktop icon it will open an old DOS window and show you all the data in that file including the GPS location info. Works best with the original JPG/DNG file shot at each waypoint as the MP4 is generalized (Home point?).

It doesn't work with a MOV file for some reason (Apple security perhaps?) nor a later edited file that may omit the GPS info, but for the others it does.

While in flight / hovering:
I fly with Autopilot software. You have a more or less detailed (user selectable) flight dashboard with telemetry data.
You see in realtime onscreen the required Infos like lat/long.

Here a typical screen of the dashboard:
upload_2017-11-17_17-31-22.png

Of the photos that I have put on my computer, I can right click on the photo, select properties, then scroll down and find longitude and latitude. I am using Windows 10.

I've written a couple of DJI apps that moves telemetry data in real time to other systems such as a pc. The reverse can also be done - take a location and feed that back to the DJI drone to get the drone to move to a new location.
It is a bit trickier to accomplish - but an object can be located not where the drone is located but where the camera is pointing. This way the drone does not have to be located directly over the object(s) of interest but the camera just has to be pointed at the object. Of course this is a lot easier to accomplish with a flat ground surface.

Last edited:
Reactions: Keule

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips