Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

FINALLY APPROVED ND-FILTERS !

Thank you. In the mean time. I just ordered some non approved Tiffen .9 and .6 ND screw on filters and Polarizer filter from BH with aluminum rings, thanks for the tip!! Also got a nice little case for them and a lens cap of the same size. You just have to put them on backwards (not sure if that kills the benefits of the pola). not sure on the weight.

I presume you're aware that you also run the very real risk of ruining the threads on the Inspire's camera lens.

Thanks for that tip IO. Should I assume they are not a thread pitch of 0.5 like the Tiffens? I couldn't find much info here from previous 3rd party filter testers but based on the title of this thread, there must be more issues than just thread like weight on the gimbal being paramount. I'll test it and let you know. Obviously I am not going to force it on. A filter should smoothly turn the entire way, free of binding.

There is a thread here somewhere that shows a CU of the threads. The Inspire's threads are much finer--more threads in the same space, if that makes any sense.

Yes. That helps. Now I understand why custom lenses are required. I thought they would use the prevailing thread standard for photography lenses. Maybe it's close, but until you try the lens, it's hit and miss.

For the new approved ND's I found the website. Looks like it's email for now?

Will there be a pre-order shopping cart?

Yes. That helps. Now I understand why custom lenses are required. I thought they would use the prevailing thread standard for photography lenses. Maybe it's close, but until you try the lens, it's hit and miss.

For the new approved ND's I found the website. Looks like it's email for now?

Will there be a pre-order shopping cart?

If you go to the head of this thread, there is a post that gives the email to contact. Then, using PayPal, you place your order. They are scheduled to sent out soon. Many of us have already placed our orders.

I took this from the FB Inspire page, tested it out and says it is a fit with no issues with the gimbal.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003USTMHG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bet you it doesn't! The thread pitch on the Inspire is totally different to the standard 'Photographic style filter thread' - They have probably done this on purpose.
That filter may fit of sorts but you will be cross threading/destroying the flimsy thread on the Inspire camera. Additionally, the reviews on that filter are not good (but then it isn't exactly a Heliopan!)
However, it is YOUR Inspire so you can try what you want but just a heads up on the thread difference on the I1 camera.

Last edited:
This is his posting.

Rob Feiner
32 mins · Edited
I can absolutely confirm that there is a CP Filter that will fit the I1. I used it yesterday and the gimbal had ZERO issues with the weight. MAKE SURE YOU ORDER 37mm. BOTH sides are threaded, you will effectively flip the filter and thread the wide side. It's threads perfectly. DO NOT force it, it threads smoothly.

I am now tempted to get the ND kit as those filters would be lighter than the CP so I believe that there shouldn't be any issues. I will say that with the CP it might not be necessary because you are bending the light and it's fairly dark, maybe a full stop or more. I will need a less grey day to fully check out and get more data but hey, for $8 bucks WTFN?

This is his posting.

Rob Feiner
32 mins · Edited
I can absolutely confirm that there is a CP Filter that will fit the I1. I used it yesterday and the gimbal had ZERO issues with the weight. MAKE SURE YOU ORDER 37mm. BOTH sides are threaded, you will effectively flip the filter and thread the wide side. It's threads perfectly. DO NOT force it, it threads smoothly.

I am now tempted to get the ND kit as those filters would be lighter than the CP so I believe that there shouldn't be any issues. I will say that with the CP it might not be necessary because you are bending the light and it's fairly dark, maybe a full stop or more. I will need a less grey day to fully check out and get more data but hey, for $8 bucks WTFN?

The CPL filter won't work mounted in reverse orientation.

I took this from the FB Inspire page, tested it out and says it is a fit with no issues with the gimbal.

Thanks, another very affordable option to test for polarizers. As a professional, I can say, a pola on your lens for exteriors is certainly a very good idea. As with any precision instruments, never force a thread. It should smoothly thread on with no binding. Value priced optics may be a little less forgiving.

I finally got my inspire 1 yesterday. I was digging around through my camera gear and found some old sony 37 mm ND and polarized filters, a little bulky but they screwed on just fine.

Yes you are right the CPL doesn't work reversed ,only linear polarizer will work either side.

LOL, I thought I remembered that. So until we get DJI approved pola's, go for 37mm Linear and Avoid "Circular" polarizers. (because they have to be put on backwards on the I1 cam) Sorry maybe we need to move this to a new thread about Polarizers. We could use some custom produced polas to go with the ND kit.

At one point every one will experience issue with a thread by frequent change of the filters ,because the front element on the camera is just plastic .
I didn't replace filter on my camera many times and I noticed the first couple threads are already wearing off . BTW I am very careful to line up the filter prier to screw it no .
I am just thinking to come with different way to attach the filter to my camera.

:p
Plaster_682_1003912a.jpg

Reactions: Rainbowers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla