Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

First time in atti mode...

Reaction score
I've hear it was good practice to fly in atti, so I thought I would give it a go. It does drift in different directions, but does not "dart" in different directions. I found it quite easy to fly this way, and would highly recommend this to sharpen your skills. This is my first quad, but have plenty of RC plane experience. I can understand though, that if you rely on GPS 100%, and it falls out, the drift may seem like a dart in on direction or the other because your brain cannot predict when it's going to happen, and you freeze, and or throw the controls in a panic direction that has no plan. Fly on my friends!, and be safe!

Last edited:
Yup - Always advocate practice in Atti so that users are comfortable with it.
Also, if you are starting out and have not previously experienced flying in this mode, I would pick a day with VERY little wind. If it's gusty and you are not used to it your craft can get away from you pretty quick as it drifts with the wind and once out over 150meters orientation can become an issue, then panic and then........well, you get the idea?
First time out...... choose a calm day.
When you are more confident, practice nose in flying in Atti.
Then get confident flying figure of 8's with the nose always pointing in the direction of travel.......

am i right in thinking that, if GPS reception is good, but you're in atti, that the craft will still stop itself on the outer limit of your max range setting?

my dream would be able to look at the map, draw with your finger a safe fly zone (which avoids trees) and upload that to the inspire. Then I would feel happy in atti all the time, as I know that the GPS will look after me not drifting into trees, but I can have the preferable flight characteristics of atti for video.

I am fine in atti, and used to use it all the time when GPS was less good on the Naza. I still need the practice though. People who've not used older quadcopters probably don't realise that it was extremely common to lose a '6 satellites' lock with the old Nazas, and the craft would regularly just start drifting without warning. with that though, all you had was a green or yellow (which look the same at distance) single LED on the craft to work with - and if you're at a decent distance then good luck. the problem with gps on the inspire is it's so locked in that you forget that the FC is constantly putting in corrective measures (not just when holding position). Even when buzzing along in straight line at 30mph, the GPS is still controlling the pitch and roll to keep it travelling on a straight line.

that's why @Editor's recommendation of fig 8s is good - because they are a **** sight harder to do in atti than in GPS. it's comparable to trying to drive round in circles in a car on an ice rink.

Reactions: Highrpm955
The Editor is spot on about learning on a calm day.
After practicing squares nose in (on advice from the Editor in another post), I got a little cocky and switch to Atti mode for the first time. Wow stant still will you! Ended up getting flustered and took the easy way out and landed on the dirt track next to the oval.
Back to full GPS for me until I learn to be at one with controlling the bird.
The Editor is also correct on distances over 150 metres being hard for orintation, as today was another milestone in my out of control Inspire life. Off went the distance limit and away into no-man's land I went. Decided to turn it around and come home as I had been practicing nose in flying. After a couple of turns and movements I panicked and hit the return to home button. Funny what panic can do (I was only a couple of hundred metres away) and not sure which way the small movements I was performing was going, so I panicked instead of looking down at the screen where all the information was probably being displayed. Another reason why I will learn to fly in full GPS first. Baby steps for this newbie, maybe I should purchase a cheap *** drone to learn on so if I stack it, I won't cry.
Just a couple of quick questions.
  1. Could I have just flicked it back into full GPS on the remote and it would have put the brakes on?
  2. Will the return to home still work if I panic in Atti mode?
  3. The figure 8's you mention Editor, are they vertical or horizontal?
This forum is a great learning tool. Thanks all...

Yt2, I have had my Inspire since February 6 and have not yet put the props on it. (Bad weather here up to now). But when I do, I think I will have the same experience as you. I look forward to it, but am a little apprehensive at the same time.

The Editor is spot on about learning on a calm day.
After practicing squares nose in (on advice from the Editor in another post), I got a little cocky and switch to Atti mode for the first time. Wow stant still will you! Ended up getting flustered and took the easy way out and landed on the dirt track next to the oval.
Back to full GPS for me until I learn to be at one with controlling the bird.
The Editor is also correct on distances over 150 metres being hard for orintation, as today was another milestone in my out of control Inspire life. Off went the distance limit and away into no-man's land I went. Decided to turn it around and come home as I had been practicing nose in flying. After a couple of turns and movements I panicked and hit the return to home button. Funny what panic can do (I was only a couple of hundred metres away) and not sure which way the small movements I was performing was going, so I panicked instead of looking down at the screen where all the information was probably being displayed. Another reason why I will learn to fly in full GPS first. Baby steps for this newbie, maybe I should purchase a cheap *** drone to learn on so if I stack it, I won't cry.
Just a couple of quick questions.
  1. Could I have just flicked it back into full GPS on the remote and it would have put the brakes on?
  2. Will the return to home still work if I panic in Atti mode?
  3. The figure 8's you mention Editor, are they vertical or horizontal?
This forum is a great learning tool. Thanks all...

To answer your questions:
1. Yup.... if you get panicky, just flick your switch up to P-GPS and the Inspire will slam on the breaks and hold in hover (assuming you have let go of the sticks)
2. Yes - as long as home point has been set when you take off the RTH will work in either mode
3. Oh horizontal... vertical is wayyyy too easy :)... Imagine you were flying your Inspire at 50 ft up and you were positioned 100 ft up above it. As you look down you would see the shape of a figure as the route you should be flying - but with the nose always pointing in the direction of travel.
Like this (although it's on a heli you will get the idea ->

Oh..... and don't worry about the inverted figure eights !!!!;) - It can't be done on a quad unless it has collective pitch and not fixed pitch like the Inspire..... so ignore that bit.
And yes... panic can do nasty things to the adrenaline levels and the heart rate :p. Just remember, if you loose orientation (and it is easy to do at distance), just flick to GPS, regain your composure, bring the bird back to you and start again.
One thing about distance is once you get to a certain footage away from you it becomes very difficult to tell if the craft is moving towards you or away from you. There are some tricks you can learn to regain your orientation and tell exactly what direction the craft is pointing at distance but I'd get confident first at Atti flying.
Also, as you say..... there is a lot of information available to you on the screen and you always have that straight line that points direct to where you are standing (home point) as well as the radar screen in the corner that will give you an indication of which way to turn to get back home (you are the center of that radar screen)
Keep at it.... It will click and you will have a big grin on you face that you can do nose in flying comfortably without worry :)

Last edited:
Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Hey Pops,

you must be getting itchy feet by now. Bugger, I would be going nuts! I don't have a Apple so no simulator for me, but I think that would be a good way to get the hang of nose in or sideways flying. Stick to the security of gps until every time you move the sticks and it goes in the direction you moved. When I can do that, I will have another go at atti as it looks like fun...

Sorry about that chief (from get smart), it was in the "Newbie needs stick input help!" post. Not sure how to insert a quote.
I also stand corrected it was sirnikolas who said about practicing squares.
Not only new to flying, but also new to posting. The get smart reference gives the game away on the age department, as I watched that when I was a kid...
Cheers...

Last edited:
am i right in thinking that, if GPS reception is good, but you're in atti, that the craft will still stop itself on the outer limit of your max range setting?]

me
i believe so, i have slammed into the invisible wall in atti mode when i forgot it was on. like "the Dome"

I just started test flying in ATTI mode. I equate it to driving without brakes. GPS uses brakes. Gotta admit heart was beating a little faster, but flying was much smoother, and a blast. Didn't push it out beyond 50-75 yards, or above 100ft. I don't think I looked down at the monitor... Lol

Reactions: Highrpm955
I just started test flying in ATTI mode. I equate it to driving without brakes. GPS uses brakes. Gotta admit heart was beating a little faster, but flying was much smoother, and a blast. Didn't push it out beyond 50-75 yards, or above 100ft. I don't think I looked down at the monitor... Lol
Or blinked!! :p.....It's a little daunting at first but you get more confident as you put in the stick hours.
BTW.....nice Border Collies........ The best breed in the world! ;)

To answer your questions:
1. Yup.... if you get panicky, just flick your switch up to P-GPS and the Inspire will slam on the breaks and hold in hover (assuming you have let go of the sticks)
2. Yes - as long as home point has been set when you take off the RTH will work in either mode
3. Oh horizontal... vertical is wayyyy too easy :)... Imagine you were flying your Inspire at 50 ft up and you were positioned 100 ft up above it. As you look down you would see the shape of a figure as the route you should be flying - but with the nose always pointing in the direction of travel.
Like this (although it's on a heli you will get the idea ->

Oh..... and don't worry about the inverted figure eights !!!!;) - It can't be done on a quad unless it has collective pitch and not fixed pitch like the Inspire..... so ignore that bit.
And yes... panic can do nasty things to the adrenaline levels and the heart rate :p. Just remember, if you loose orientation (and it is easy to do at distance), just flick to GPS, regain your composure, bring the bird back to you and start again.
One thing about distance is once you get to a certain footage away from you it becomes very difficult to tell if the craft is moving towards you or away from you. There are some tricks you can learn to regain your orientation and tell exactly what direction the craft is pointing at distance but I'd get confident first at Atti flying.
Also, as you say..... there is a lot of information available to you on the screen and you always have that straight line that points direct to where you are standing (home point) as well as the radar screen in the corner that will give you an indication of which way to turn to get back home (you are the center of that radar screen)
Keep at it.... It will click and you will have a big grin on you face that you can do nose in flying comfortably without worry :)

Showin off again with the heli:)

I have tried ATTI with my PTV2 many, many times. No Problem. But every single time I land in ATTI mode,she tips over...new props. I am going to be very, very careful landing in ATTI with the I1..scary.

I have tried ATTI with my PTV2 many, many times. No Problem. But every single time I land in ATTI mode,she tips over...new props. I am going to be very, very careful landing in ATTI with the I1..scary.
I used to have the occasional tip with my phantoms as well. They are much more prone to tip since the landing gear is so high and placed so close to the center of gravity. The Inspire is so wide that tipping only happens with an error from the inspire which would be uncommon or from a very sketchy landing. I have yet to come even close to tipping mine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry