Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

First Wedding Video - ALL Drone footage plus Things I Learned

Reaction score
Hey drone flyers! I tried out my very first wedding video plus it's fully shot by drone. I did it for free as my friend asked me to, but because of that I couldn't really give directions to people as to what I wanted them to do or where to go. I listed the things that I learned and hopefully you'd find them useful! Thanks for watching and congratulations to the couple!

Things I Learned:
1. Drones can work handheld but may be jittery at times and even over-compensate with it's stabilizer when swinging the drone left to right.
2. I prefer controlling with the RC rather than wi-fi because you really can't pitch up and down smoothly without the RC.
3. Setting up a drone can take time. Swapping ND filters because clouds suddenly cover the sun takes time. Switching to 1080p for 60 or 96fps for slow-mo also takes time.
4. Prop sounds are very audible so choose when you should fly, preferably before the ceremony or after.
5. Drones make sounds too when handheld and running. I didn't want to bother any of the guests so I kept away if I could.
6. Finding free wedding songs is somewhat impossible. Any sites would be welcome!
7. I don't have close-ups during the actual wedding because I wasn't getting paid and felt bad for getting in there.
8. Working solo can get you to miss stuff that happen only once in a wedding. I had to drive to where the bride was prepping, then the groom, then back to the bride, straight to the venue, etc. so it was a lot of work.
9. I was starving and really had to pee the whole time. I kept holding it in because I would have missed some shots.
10. My positioning could have been better, but I didn't want to go where the professional photographers were hanging around in.
11. I enjoyed doing this wedding and am sure I can do a better job next time!

Nicely done! I love #9 "I was starving and really had to pee the whole time. I kept holding it in because I would have missed some shots". Have totally been in that situation but first priority, GET. THE. SHOT.

All good information, thank you for sharing. Pack some snacks next time to nibble on, and maybe drink less fluids? :p Safe flying.

Nicely done! I love #9 "I was starving and really had to pee the whole time. I kept holding it in because I would have missed some shots". Have totally been in that situation but first priority, GET. THE. SHOT.

All good information, thank you for sharing. Pack some snacks next time to nibble on, and maybe drink less fluids? :p Safe flying.

That's why you keep trail mix in your gear bag and wear dark clothes. :)

Nice! I just filmed my first one a couple of weeks ago. It turned out much better than I thought it would, but it took a lot of time to complete from filming and the editing. Now I know why they are so pricy.

Reactions: Raincast
I planned to pee in the groom's place but I was short on time (and actually forgot to take a video of the rings!). When I drove back to the bride's, they were locking up the house as their ride was approaching. So, I decided maybe the venue. When I got there, everyone was ready to go already, and I had to do some aerial shots before the ceremony began! Now, I know how nurses feel!

Thanks for watching!

Reactions: Advexure
It is stressful trying to plan and improvise while not missing anything! And, certain things only happen once. If this was a church wedding, there would've been a lot to cover. Thanks for checking it out!

Nice shots. I've down a few weddings with traditional camera and was stressed the whole time. No opportunity for do overs.

It is a lot of work! Back in my home country (Philippines), for the price of a photographer in North America you get...

4 photographers, 3 videographers, 1 editor
Same day edit - 5 minute video that gets played around 2-3 hours after your church ceremony, all about the ceremony plus photoshoot before reception plus the beginning of reception until before dinner, usually with aerial shots, time lapses, vows on mic, etc
Half hour edit of the wedding and reception, plus all raw video footage on a hard disk
2 small photo albums for both parents, 1 big album of all edited pictures that you pick
Pre-wedding photos and wedding photos, all raw and edited
Video of pre-wedding photos, growing up photos and edited wedding photos
Table with decorations and pics and guestbook album
Pre-wedding photo gallery on canvas
Photobooth

Honestly, I don't think one wedding should be the cost of one's equipment but that's just me. Because of the high cost, people end up just hiring one photographer and no videographer, for such a very special day!

Nice! I just filmed my first one a couple of weeks ago. It turned out much better than I thought it would, but it took a lot of time to complete from filming and the editing. Now I know why they are so pricy.

Reactions: Raphael Dahan
Really enjoyed the video. It was good to see that you took mostly 'ground based' footage (Albeit with the drone) with enough close ups and just the few necessary aerial 'Drone shots'. You took some really good interesting shots from various angles which looked great. The points you listed are very valid and which I totally agree with. I reckon your friend would have been really impressed and pleased with your work, well done.

I wish I had some close-up footage during the actual ceremony, as I was overly cautious of disturbing people just because they're not paying me. I also wish a new Osmo would come out already so people don't look at me funny holding a drone haha

They really loved it! Thanks for checking it out!

necessary
Really enjoyed the video. It was good to see that you took mostly 'ground based' footage (Albeit with the drone) with enough close ups and just the few necessary aerial 'Drone shots'. You took some really good interesting shots from various angles which looked great. The points you listed are very valid and which I totally agree with. I reckon your friend would have been really impressed and pleased with your work, well done.

Reactions: ringolong
Yes, I have done the 'Holding the drone' routine, gets the job done but isn't ideal. I am just in the process of buying a Panasonic GH5 and a Zhihun crane for the 'ground based ' stuff so should make my life easier.

Have you tried out the crane? I've always been curious if the weight gets decently distributed depending on which camera you mount because it is a one-grip type. The GH5 is pretty awesome, just not in my price range haha.

Yes, I have done the 'Holding the drone' routine, gets the job done but isn't ideal. I am just in the process of buying a Panasonic GH5 and a Zhihun crane for the 'ground based ' stuff so should make my life easier.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44