Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

fly away

My flight just like that had zero power poles or antennas within miles and I was on my 6th battery from that spot. I hadn't preformed the dance since updating to .03FW. All my mods were perfect before every flight that day until I got her back on the ground. 1700's after landing, I wasn't screen recording and didn't think of Atti mode until after the fact. :-(. The second time I was less than 20 feet from power poles and 5 feet from my subject (friends Bar). But luckily she started her own "mission" a few seconds after take off and I brought her down to a skidding stop immediately. This time my compass went from 1520's beforehand to high 1300's!!wtf?? That was my third flight there of the day with solid mod values beforehand. I do believe it is compass issues and the FC trying to "correct" off of the corrupted data. How and why the glitch occur is still a mystery in mind. My best guess is not external sources but internal glitches but I can't prove either. Whatever the cause, I'm positive that it WAS NOT PILOT ERROR.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
No i don't pretend like I'm mission control launching a space shuttle every time I fly. So you think the compass calibrated itself some time during the 4 flights after the fly away?

I did a compass calibration w/ the last firmware a few flights ago & it's been flying great. I flew it again right after this incident about 10 miles away w/ the rest of the same battery and another one, no problems, did not recalibrate. video feed had a little lag from time to time tho but nothing crazy. Then I flew it again that evening, no problems, still no calibration. If the compass is fine and has no errors there is no need to calibrate every time. Ive driven a hundred miles away with every multi rotor I have owned and never had a problem. I can't see a bad compass calibration making it fly away at full speed like it did. I believe an outside signal was interfering in that location.
Here is my current values. Can you tell me what is optimal so I can check going fwd. View attachment 2362
Ya man..
im in California and right at 1500 is a good compass calibration. .not sure if that would change much since you're in New Jersey ..
everything else looks good..
turb...

Here is my current values. Can you tell me what is optimal so I can check going fwd. View attachment 2362
I would expect to see gyro mod value of 0.00 at rest.
It maybe an idea to redo your IMU calibration again.
I usually look for mod values of:
0.00 for gyro
0.99-1.01 for accelerometer
1500 for compass (but fluctuates usually around 1470-1530ish)

All the above values I check as the I1 is sitting on the deck but before I start the motors.
If any of them are not within those values......I do not take off.

Was able to get it back and land it but it fought me the entire time. Return to home did not work.
Firmware is updated and has flown a few times since with no problems.
I had a similar experience this week end.
Mod values all checked out and the pilot ap was reporting GPS good to go.
But the minute I lifted off it started to drift toward a bank of trees. I panic pushed up to get over the trees and immediately realized that I had not have GPS lock and was in Atti mode. It was a hand full but got it back on the ground. I had just started practicing in Atti mode a couple days prior. But it can quickly get away from you if you are not ready for this. When I got it back on the ground I felt that it was completely out of control. But after reviewing the event in my mind I think it was just me over controlling in Atti mode. All in all very scarey. My wife said my face was white a a sheet after ward.

Reactions: Djalma Ribeiro
Editor- I recalibrate when my location changes more than 40 miles. How often should I be recalibrating? I don't suppose my magnetic north changes too much in SoCal. Now if I flew back home which is almost in the Canadian Shield, the question is, would I recalibrate more often or less?

Once again, 2nd thread with erratic flight behavior. And once again flight video shows close proximity to power lines, and not just regular power lines but high voltage power lines. There are multiple warnings against flying close to power lines in the manual and tutorial videos. I can't be the only one that reads instructions?

I fly inspections of high voltage power lines, the large ones, I get extremely close.
I never experience any interference of any kind. No twitching, nothing, ever.
I am responsible for a 23 mile stretch which takes me thru all types of terrain from forest to farm to subdivisions and water treatment plants. It takes me 1 full day, and I do it once a month. I am never in fear of interference of any kind.
What I do fear is gusty conditions, (not windy conditions, gusty) because I cannot always see/film what I need to from the downwind side of the transformers, I fear getting "pushed" into them by a gust.

I'll admit I'm a newbie but I fly on remote farms and heavy urban areas. Always calibrate compass before flight. While doing an abandoned foundry survey the pilot app noted heavy EMF interference. Single transformer on pole 20 feet away. Walked 75 ft away and cleared up. I noticed in the video a pole with two transformers across from the lot were the inspire took off. Also a fine crop of light poles around the sports complex. May of those lights have transformers on the base or tower. Finally the 500 Kv lines a half mile away. I always get a good compass set and quick GPS lock on the farm but do a lot of dancing in the city. Guess I'll start looking at the mod values.

After 2764 flights with Vision 2 and Vision 2 plus v3 I had my first fly away yesterday in the middle of Algonquin Park the biggest park in Ontario Canada. I have been filming there since March this year and other locations. There is zero cell and power lines only trees for hundreds of square miles all around me. I canoe in for days to locations. I started up with normal compass cal and waited for min 7 sats.. all the norm for years, same routine. Was in complete hover at 100 feet direct above me taking pano shots. After 5 min it took off to the right at full speed. My spotter called out to ask what the hell am I doing, with zero input on control I looked up from the screen app and saw it take off over the tree line. I went to atti right away thinking sat signal issue. No response from control at all. No wind either. I turned off the controller and it went to rth right away and correctly. Once close Iturned back on and it went fly away again. Turned off control and it went rth and landed exactly at take off spot. Conclusion... The phantom was fine... It knew how to find home and it knew how to fly correctly without me. The controller was the thing messing it up so I am convinced it was the controller hardware / software that crashed not the Phantom. Went home and checked all on the computer link. Did a recal and forced existing updates to refresh. Have flown in my house 4 times since without any issue. Going to try outside again in a few days. It is real man, I had not seen it before in last few years of using dji so it is not very common but very real. It really does just take off and fly away and it is not the pilot !!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool