Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Flying in Egypt?

Reaction score
So soon I'll be taking a little trip to Egypt.

I'll be in Sharm el Sheikh and taking a little flight to the pyramids at some point too.

I'd love to fly and film a lot of what I'll be getting up to, but after reading a few negative stories about local authorities seizing drones I'm feeling maybe I should leave it at home and just film from the ground.

Does anyone have any thoughts or knowledge in taking drones to places like these that says if I should or shouldn't?

Don't think you should, I was in Eygpt 18 months ago and security was really tight at checkpoints and also the pyramid area, can you imagine what will happen if you start flying it they will either shoot it down or can you imagine trying to explain you are just carrying out your hobby... There is no hope in hell trying to get authorisation,

Same deal with the Myan pyramids in Mexico. Lots of Federalis with machine guns.

Probably not going to happen over any pyramids anywhere :)

I was approached for a job recently near sharm but it proved impossible to get anywhere with the permit side of things. I tried the official channels via the Egyptian CAA & got zero response. I had some advice from another forum from a guy who had done some bits of filming a few years back around the pyramids. Even with the correct paperwork they still found themselves in the local police station & kit confiscated along with passports. ( they did eventually get permission to fly but had an officer with them at all times)
Given the current security situation the authorities are probably even more paranoid so my advice would be forget it unless you like jail & losing your kit !

After reading CaptianG's post I would say if you're serious about this then the first thing you should do is go to the police station ahead of time and let them know of your intentions (just fly and take some photos.) And then REQUEST to have an officer with you during the flights both for your safety and their comfort.

That might fly...

Don't think you should, I was in Eygpt 18 months ago and security was really tight at checkpoints and also the pyramid area, can you imagine what will happen if you start flying it they will either shoot it down or can you imagine trying to explain you are just carrying out your hobby... There is no hope in hell trying to get authorisation,
Do they take away your drone at the airport of you are just not allowed to fly with it in the Country. Also is there like anywhere also you can pay to store it in the airport and retrieve it after when you are about to leave the Country ???

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry