Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Focus issues with video DLOG/CINE - out of focus. VIDEO

Reaction score
Website
www.airflix.dk
Focus issues with your X5?

I have calibrated my lens (Oly 12mm) over and over and checked focus is ok when shooting photos. But as soon as you shoot video in DLOG or CINE, something weird happens. Attached is a JPG (f/6.3) - close, but not the sharpest aperture but serves the purpose here - it's clear that the lens is calibrated and the subject building (sorry, boring I know) is in focus. So far, so good. I can take focused photos.

But when I switch to video mode (infinity focus, f/6.3) things go south... When you choose DLOG and CINE, the image looks soft and mushy. But as soon as you choose NONE, it goes back to being in focus again like the JPG?!?! - See screenshot.

Attached is examples taken minuts apart from same position after the same calibration. All shot in MF, ISO100, f/6.3, Auto WB, (-1, -1, -1). Latest FW on everything.

Here's a video that clearly shows the X5 go from out of focus in DLOG and CINE and going back in focus when switched to NONE:

Attachments

• 65_photo.png
    65_photo.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 40
  • Focus_X5.png
    Focus_X5.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Reactions: softjoy
yep a well known issue with the current firmware and DJi know this and hopefully will rectify the issues sooner rather than later. For now it's best like you mentioned to shoot in NONE

Reactions: softjoy
yep a well known issue with the current firmware and DJi know this and hopefully will rectify the issues sooner rather than later. For now it's best like you mentioned to shoot in NONE

What about 1080p - will that also look soft?

Yep I had this same problem. Super weird. Shooting in 'none' is just fine.
What I did find is that I believe it has something to do with the dlog and cinelike sharpness values. If you go through each custom sharpness value 0 and above, they are all identical.... Except +3, which looks like 0 used to be. So it is functional if you must shoot in dlog, you just need to crank the sharpness all the way

Reactions: DrMrdalj and dronie
I've found simular results but hasn't been too bad. Have been able to bring back the sharpness in post with no problems and still keeping it clean.

Reply from DJI support confirms the issue:

QQ%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%8720140922094634.jpg

Carol Zheng (DJI)

1月26日 15:31

Dear Tony,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

Sorry,this is a bug which can't be fixed right now.We will fix it with new firmware as soon as possible.

Thank you for choosing DJI.

Best Regards,

Carol

DJI Product Application Technical Support
Office Hours:Monday to Friday 9:00 AM to 18:00 PM( HongKong Time GMT+8:00)

Reply from DJI support confirms the issue:

QQ%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%8720140922094634.jpg

Carol Zheng (DJI)

1月26日 15:31

Dear Tony,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

Sorry,this is a bug which can't be fixed right now.We will fix it with new firmware as soon as possible.

Thank you for choosing DJI.

Best Regards,

Carol

DJI Product Application Technical Support
Office Hours:Monday to Friday 9:00 AM to 18:00 PM( HongKong Time GMT+8:00)
Cheers for sharing that Dronie

Reactions: dronie
Use the X3 with D log till the new firmware comes out lol jk i just ordered the X5 and im disapointed a bit because i always shoot D log but still cant wait to try it!

Oh, your post made it sound you had it and actually tried it. Get it and then come back with your opinions. I had it since day one and, off the current options, NONE provides the best results.

Oh, your post made it sound you had it and actually tried it. Get it and then come back with your opinions. I had it since day one and, off the current options, NONE provides the best results.
Def will and supose to be here monday so will be testing it out.

Have settings at 0, -2, -3 to compensate.

Did a quick calibration today but did not have time to fly started snowing... But was able to go out tonight and shoot a quick test! Did my calibration work out? I think its clean but not the sharpest and its straight from the camera nothing done except white balance shot with None picture style. 1-50 f1.7 iso1600 24fps 4k

Did a quick calibration today but did not have time to fly started snowing... But was able to go out tonight and shoot a quick test! Did my calibration work out? I think its clean but not the sharpest and its straight from the camera nothing done except white balance shot with None picture style. 1-50 f1.7 iso1600 24fps 4k

Did you attempt to recalibrate it at the 0:35 sec mark? If so it looked more in focus before you did that.
Night time is tricky, the sensitivity on these camera's is still pretty bad and results in night time stuff looking pretty mushy at the best of times... Only real way to test calibration is during the day when you have some nice contrasting lines to really be able to judge your focus.
Try shooting on iso800, I found that worked the best for getting decent exposure while losing the mushiness of high iso. It is still there for sure but a little better in my opinion.
Try taking some night time photos as well, the camera can handle those a lot better!

Did you attempt to recalibrate it at the 0:35 sec mark? If so it looked more in focus before you did that.
Night time is tricky, the sensitivity on these camera's is still pretty bad and results in night time stuff looking pretty mushy at the best of times... Only real way to test calibration is during the day when you have some nice contrasting lines to really be able to judge your focus.
Try shooting on iso800, I found that worked the best for getting decent exposure while losing the mushiness of high iso. It is still there for sure but a little better in my opinion.
Try taking some night time photos as well, the camera can handle those a lot better!

Was setting my focus point at the horizon but did not work as planned lol yeah i did a quick calibration but the weather is horrible lately around here. Will take my time as soon it gets warmer but i am doing some tests with my Osmo and i am happy with the results so far just need my Heliopan graduated filter asap.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 8
You had it since day one and you shoot None since day one i guess you do not shoot anything comercially like music videos or serious production with footage you cannot color grade. yeah its fine for flying in your backyard but guys like me actually make money with footage we shoot and we have to provide flat footage for the Colorist to do his magic.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry