Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

GEO System - UK Airports made Restricted Zones

Reaction score
Website
www.moraysky.co.uk
Most of the UK's major airports now appear on the DJI GEO unlock map as Restricted Zones (see DJI GEO System - Unlock Areas For Authorized Access). This will mean that those who thought they would be able to fly with ATC approval will not be able to unlock these areas. This is despite the fact that those areas designated as Prohibited Areas (Faslane/Coulport, Harwell, Dounreay) and other no fly areas (eg. nuclear power stations and prisons) are not restricted.

Most of the UK's major airports now appear on the DJI GEO unlock map as Restricted Zones (see DJI GEO System - Unlock Areas For Authorized Access). This will mean that those who thought they would be able to fly with ATC approval will not be able to unlock these areas. This is despite the fact that those areas designated as Prohibited Areas (Faslane/Coulport, Harwell, Dounreay) and other no fly areas (eg. nuclear power stations and prisons) are not restricted.
They just cannot seem to get it right can they?
Unfortunately, by going this route (again) makes the platform useless as a professional tool going forward.

Just out of interest does anybody know whether the A3 has Nanny Zones? @FlyHighUSA - Ralph, have you test flown an A3 yet to see how it performs?

Scrolling around the UK map the airports affected includes: Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton, Stansted, London City, Southampton, East Midlands, Birmingham, Leeds/Bradford, Newcastle, Glasgow and others I may have missed. All are high usage airports. The Restricted Zones vary in size to cover the airport and runways. One reason for this is probably that its is too easy to unlock the Authorisation Zones. Maybe the CAA has had an input.

I think that in the next future companies and/or people can buy a license at DJI to get DJI drones away from their property.Or something like this.

Unfortunately, by going this route (again) makes the platform useless as a professional tool going forward.

Just out of interest does anybody know whether the A3 has Nanny Zones? @FlyHighUSA - Ralph, have you test flown an A3 yet to see how it performs?
The Matrice 600 is using the same bloody app as our I1. And it's using A3.
So.....hmm.
But DJI can still do things differently in the A3 firmware. I cross my fingers that they really have the commercial/professional users in mind this time.

The Matrice 600 is using the same bloody app as our I1. And it's using A3.
So.....hmm.
Ohhh.....that doesn't sound good. Are the NFZ's actually implemented though or are they switched off?

Still, on the plus side at least if you invest in the A3 you still get to use the excellent video editor and social media sharing within the app. That's got to be worth the investment alone!! :rolleyes:

Reactions: slim.slamma

The A3 is performing flawlessly so far, I am very happy with the stability, it seems much more stable than the A2 or the N1. I have only flown it in my particular area so far. So far so good!!!

Main GEO System Web page has lost its beta caveats and many more UK airports, airfields and military bases are now marked as red Restricted Zones (DJI GEO System - Unlock Areas For Authorized Access). Those users hoping that DJI wouls provide the ability to fly with permission at airports will be deeply disappointed. There is no indication when the DJI GO app will be added to exploit the GEO System; the firmware 1.9 is GEO enabled.

Main GEO System Web page has lost its beta caveats and many more UK airports, airfields and military bases are now marked as red Restricted Zones (DJI GEO System - Unlock Areas For Authorized Access). Those users hoping that DJI wouls provide the ability to fly with permission at airports will be deeply disappointed. There is no indication when the DJI GO app will be added to exploit the GEO System; the firmware 1.9 is GEO enabled.

Android v2.8.2 appears to have it and IOS coming soon according to this:

GEO is now available on Android, IOS soon

My iOS app updated yesterday say it now has Geo. just need to update the inspire and hopefully geo is functional and I can finally do a job I've been needing to do for two months.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool