Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Gimbal pan using LH wheel only works in gimbal free mode

Reaction score
For a single person flight, the ability to tilt and pan the camera gimbal using the left-hand thumb wheel on the Inspire 1 was invaluable for creating smooth and controlled camera movements.

For the I2, the pan option only works when the gimbal is set to 'free' and does nothing when the gimbal is set to 'FPV'.

My guess is that DJI thought this was the right thing to do now that we have the forward facing second camera but to be honest I much prefer the way it worked on the I1.

Come on DJI - give us an option to emulate the I1 way of working on this one!

Why would it matter if it were In free mode vs fpv mode? What's the benefit of being able to use the left wheel to lab while in fpv mode? Doesn't seem like a big deal just to switch to free mode which makes more sense....

Why would it matter if it were In free mode vs fpv mode? What's the benefit of being able to use the left wheel to lab while in fpv mode? Doesn't seem like a big deal just to switch to free mode which makes more sense....

Maneuvering with the gimbal in free mode is not as fast or intuitive as FPV mode so either you need to keep alternating between free and FPV mode or you need to keep alternating between the X5S display and the forward facing FPV camera.

Either way it just slows you down and after a couple of years using the I1 it's a PITA to have this mode of working removed. Like I said, a user selectable option would be nice.

a simple read of your manual will allow you to figure this out before you take off. if you are in FPV mode, the gimbal is locked on the nose... therefore... the gimbal yaw button combination does not function. Your tilt function should still operate as advertised.

a simple read of your manual will allow you to figure this out before you take off. if you are in FPV mode, the gimbal is locked on the nose... therefore... the gimbal yaw button combination does not function. Your tilt function should still operate as advertised.

This might be how it is intended to work on the Inspire 2 but personally I much prefer the way it works on the Inspire 1, which I have grown accustomed to over the last couple of years of intense use.

It feels a bit like a car manufacturer swapping the brake & clutch pedals over on their new model - unnecessary.

I guess I just need to retrain my muscle memory and make sure I select the correct version depending upon which aircraft I am flying!

Reactions: ReesAerials
This might be how it is intended to work on the Inspire 2 but personally I much prefer the way it works on the Inspire 1, which I have grown accustomed to over the last couple of years of intense use.

It feels a bit like a car manufacturer swapping the brake & clutch pedals over on their new model - unnecessary.

I guess I just need to retrain my muscle memory and make sure I select the correct version depending upon which aircraft I am flying!
There is a LOT of getting used to this new bird. I am taking baby steps. I did however, read the manual from cover to cover to get acquainted with those nuances early.

Reactions: deltalimatango
@ReesAerials - the point being the functionality was part of the I1 which had the same gimbal modes. The gimbal wheel could be programmed to toggle between pitch and yaw, regardless of the gimbal mode. And it most certainly worked that way. I almost exclusively operated in Follow Mode and had my C buttons programmed for gimbal/pitch toggle and yaw reset. By adding in the extra step in changing gimbal mode, it ruins the workflow.

I'm with @MrTVR - bring back the original functionality.

I don't disagree with anything that you have mentioned here @KyleIRYS, my point in making the post that I did is that I have seen several threads on here of people complaining that "X" didn't work, when a simple read of the manual before they actually flew the bird to begin with would have let them know that it was not a function on this bird. You say "bring it back" when in fact it was never an option on this bird. I flew my Inspire 1 with the exact same setup that you mentioned, but I did not buy an Inspire 2 because I wanted it to be the Inspire 1 with a better camera. I bought the Inspire 2 because it is a better bird period. I will learn to adapt my workflow and hope that DJI takes my suggestions for upgrades. Just my $0.02

@ReesAerials - the point being the functionality was part of the I1 which had the same gimbal modes. The gimbal wheel could be programmed to toggle between pitch and yaw, regardless of the gimbal mode. And it most certainly worked that way. I almost exclusively operated in Follow Mode and had my C buttons programmed for gimbal/pitch toggle and yaw reset. By adding in the extra step in changing gimbal mode, it ruins the workflow.

I'm with @MrTVR - bring back the original functionality.
Just another thought, since there is an SDK published, someone out there may be able to modify the software code to do exactly what you want. I don't know if there are any code junkies in the audience, but they may be able to help. The code should be relatively easy to copy and paste into this flight mode. I am not a programmer, so please forgive me if I am speaking out of my rectum.

I don't disagree with anything that you have mentioned here @KyleIRYS, my point in making the post that I did is that I have seen several threads on here of people complaining that "X" didn't work, when a simple read of the manual before they actually flew the bird to begin with would have let them know that it was not a function on this bird. You say "bring it back" when in fact it was never an option on this bird. I flew my Inspire 1 with the exact same setup that you mentioned, but I did not buy an Inspire 2 because I wanted it to be the Inspire 1 with a better camera. I bought the Inspire 2 because it is a better bird period. I will learn to adapt my workflow and hope that DJI takes my suggestions for upgrades. Just my $0.02
Either you're on an "I read the manual" high-horse, or you are supporting DJI in changing features which to it's users are to the detriment of the product and usability (to which you declared you agree). DJI had a good thing going on the I1 and they've changed it on the I2. Rewrite the manual.

Either you're on an "I read the manual" high-horse, or you are supporting DJI in changing features which to it's users are to the detriment of the product and usability (to which you declared you agree). DJI had a good thing going on the I1 and they've changed it on the I2. Rewrite the manual.
Wow! Take a breath snowflake. The sky is not falling.

Reactions: deltalimatango
Maybe I have the only Inspire 2 in the world that does this but please try my settings. My I2 does not care if it is in free or follow. Set the C1 button for "Gimbal Yaw Reset", after that no matter what mode your gimbal is in you should be able to move the pitch of the gimbal by simply rotating the left dial wheel. If you want to adjust the yaw of the gimbal simply press and HOLD the C1 switch while rotating the gimbal dial switch, and the gimbal will yaw.

Maybe I have the only Inspire 2 in the world that does this but please try my settings. My I2 does not care if it is in free or follow. Set the C1 button for "Gimbal Yaw Reset", after that no matter what mode your gimbal is in you should be able to move the pitch of the gimbal by simply rotating the left dial wheel. If you want to adjust the yaw of the gimbal simply press and HOLD the C1 switch while rotating the gimbal dial switch, and the gimbal will yaw.
The hold C1 to enable gimbal yaw only works in Free mode. It works in other modes when on the ground (or possibly when landing gear is down), but I have had zero success in getting it to work in Follow mode in-flight.

Reactions: SanCap
The hold C1 to enable gimbal yaw only works in Free mode. It works in other modes when on the ground (or possibly when landing gear is down), but I have had zero success in getting it to work in Follow mode in-flight.

Not on my I2, it works flawlessly in both free and follow modes with the landing gear up or down. I must have a special needs I2.

Wow! Take a breath snowflake. The sky is not falling.
And there's the blatant superiority complex o_O

You're not wrong in what the manual says, but you're not right either.
Pg10 of the I1 User Manual - Gimbal Dial: Use this dial to control the tilt of the gimbal.
Pg10 of the I2 User Manual - Control Dial (Gimbal/FPV): Use this dial to control the tilt of the gimbal. In gimbal's free mode, press and hold on the C1 Button and rotate the control dial to adjust the yaw of the gimbal.

The I1 only says that the gimbal dial can be used to control yaw in a sub-section about the C button programming. And the I2 manual explicitly states that both Follow Mode and Free Mode still shouldn't give the master controller pan functionality (Pg50). You need a second controller for that. But you can using the C1 hold? But the manual says........ And the I2 manual has no section for the Intelligent Orientation Controls, under which some existing (Course Lock) and inexplicably not-yet-available functionalities (POI) are present for use in DJI GO4.

Point being - who cares about the manual if it doesn't reflect the product accurately. Everyone who owns an I1 and wants/has purchased an I2 expects these sorts of things to stay the same. Change the hardware, increase functionality, remove bloated UI, etc. Like @MrTVR said:

Not on my I2, it works flawlessly in both free and follow modes with the landing gear up or down. I must have a special needs I2.
That's a good time right there! I wonder what the difference is?

I didn't like the change to hold C1 instead of just a toggle, but if I could have it I'd take it! I'll keep investigating.;)

Reactions: aquamor
That's a good time right there! I wonder what the difference is?

I didn't like the change to hold C1 instead of just a toggle, but if I could have it I'd take it! I'll keep investigating.;)

I actually like the change because on the I1 I never new if I was going to adjust the pitch or the yaw If I had made recent changes. With the I2 I know it will pitch without touching the C1 and I know it will yaw if I hold C1

I actually like the change because on the I1 I never new if I was going to adjust the pitch or the yaw If I had made recent changes. With the I2 I know it will pitch without touching the C1 and I know it will yaw if I hold C1
Yeah that was always a bind. I figured a little icon next to the pitch angle monitor that would just toggle between them and let you know which axis you were in would have been handy. Any other benefits of C1 hold?

Well spotted SanCap.

I'm traveling (without my I2 [emoji853]) for the next three weeks but I am already looking forward to trying it when I get back.

Can the RTFM police confirm if this feature is documented in the wonderfully concise way that we have come to expect from DJI. [emoji848]

(Remove tongue from cheek now)

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

Back home, excited to try out the 'hold C1' to pan feature and ...

... it doesn't work SanCap, so disappointed :-(

Reactions: SanCap

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters