Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

GPS dropping

Reaction score
Is anyone having problems with GPS dropping during flight? Until today I've had many great flights with my i1. Today I've flown 4 times and each time I started with full bars on GPS and shortly after getting airborne I'm losing all satellites and the ready to fly bar says "ready to fly no GPS" if I continue to fly the sattlite strength bar will change back and forth from GPS to no gps. Anyone have any ideas? I've got 4 years experience flying Droidworx hex and 3 different phantom models.

Reactions: TransArctic
Is anyone having problems with GPS dropping during flight? Until today I've had many great flights with my i1. Today I've flown 4 times and each time I started with full bars on GPS and shortly after getting airborne I'm losing all satellites and the ready to fly bar says "ready to fly no GPS" if I continue to fly the sattlite strength bar will change back and forth from GPS to no gps. Anyone have any ideas? I've got 4 years experience flying Droidworx hex and 3 different phantom models.
Are you using IOS or android APP ?

Are you using IOS or android APP ?
Thanks for the response. I'm using IOS. This is a brand new issue for me. I will fly again tomorrow and see if it continues. The GPS signal strength indicator turns red with one red bar and intermittently switches back and forth between full white bars.

I had some issues with my GPS when the IMU wasn't properly calibrated but after it was within spec I haven't had a problem with it since.
IMU Was checked prior to each flight and is within spec's. Also have latest firmware. This occurred 4 times today and has never done this on previous flights. Thanks for the response.

Suggest just leave it on the ground NO FLYING, lock on to all satellites on the ground and time how long they stay consent. See if you loose any over time or is it a false notice on the IOS app it self. I have been flying now every other day, short flights and did see some IOS issues loosing all video and telemetry data, then i reloaded the remote controller firmware in the controller via the Inspire Cam using the latest v.16 FW and calibrated the sticks and now the LIGHT BRIDGE seems to be 100% better. This is just a suggestion and a guess the reloading the remote controller firmware mite help whit your GPS issues, it's a guess. Since we have to relay on the APP for all internal Inspire 1 craft information, i keep thinking the remote controller has a ton or information to process and could be misleading us if something go's wrong with this controller in flight. Like the phantom, i have 4, i keep my eyes on the LED's telling me i have GPS lock... I also switched my Phantoms to the NAZA mode.

Reason for just sitting on the ground and connecting to all the satellites is to see if there is a thermal issue with the GPS receiver over time. #1, #2, then see if the Remote is the cause. it's just my basic troubleshooting steps. Then is if fails, try to reload the latest v.16 FW into the remote controller, recalbrate the sticks and repeat the ground GPS test over time before flight.

Let us know your success. Good luck!

Steve

I've had the same problem. I'll take off and then lose GPS for a few seconds. It seems to be ok when it reconnects but during the timeout period I get bad drifting. Luckily I've only been in open areas at the time. Seems to have just started recently.

Loosing GPS is a DJI-problem. Have it sometimes both on my Phantom 2 with Naza v2 and my hexacopter with A2.

For the most part when it happens it´s in the beginning, when you have just lift of. Although it has been on the ground for a moment before lifting and have good GPS signal.
I let them hover/driftin around for a while, then they regains the signal and everything is fine.

Loosing GPS is a DJI-problem. Have it sometimes both on my Phantom 2 with Naza v2 and my hexacopter with A2.

For the most part when it happens it´s in the beginning, when you have just lift of. Although it has been on the ground for a moment before lifting and have good GPS signal.
I let them hover/driftin around for a while, then they regains the signal and everything is fine.

Thanks DaBone
I have flown many flights since reporting this problem. I also have owned and flown phantoms, Wookong M on a hexa and I'm building a new Droidworx hexa with A-2 Controler. GPS drop is not a big deal when flying in open areas, but can cause problems when flying in tight areas or to a new pilot who suddenly feels the craft is getting away. All we can do at this point is make everyone aware of this issue and hope DJI will work on it. Thanks again for the response.

I fly both Phantom 3's and Inspire One's in my fire department, on some occasions during hovers, I have lost GPS lock even though I had 13 Sats up. Needless to say, the drones fly away with the wind until I grab control in manual mode. With my heart in my throat I some how get them back to home point, land, and recalibrate them several times.
My flying environments are unique, I may be just hovering over a house fire, or doing search and rescue operations, I do not feel secure flying dji drones. After I calibrate my inspire one and take off, the bird should hover at 3 ft. Sometimes it hovers at 5 ft. saying it's 3 ft. If this happens I immediately land and recalibrate everything, IMU, Compasses, etc. and try again. My finger always sits on the gps atti mode switch when I fly for I do not trust these drones anymore. I am in the spotlight always, since I am the Chief Drone Pilot for my fire department, if something goes wrong, I will make the news and the future of Fire Department drone use will falter.

Anyone have any suggestions that I can try in regards to GPS loss and how to regain my confidence back in DJI products?

Thanks.
Rick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido