Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

HD monitor

Reaction score
Im looking at getting a larger monitor for my HDMI output in the field (for spectators). Im thinking of just using a computer monitor with HDMI input, running of a portable power supply. A monitor with its own battery would be my preference, but I cant seem to be able to find a decent solution for this. Im looking at something that is at least 15".
Is anyone else doing this? What equipment are you using?

Thanks

Im looking at getting a larger monitor for my HDMI output in the field (for spectators). Im thinking of just using a computer monitor with HDMI input, running of a portable power supply. A monitor with its own battery would be my preference, but I cant seem to be able to find a decent solution for this. Im looking at something that is at least 15".
Is anyone else doing this? What equipment are you using?

Thanks
Transvideo do some very good field monitors up to 12" from memory and they will run off any Anton Bauer compatible battery.
Price for larger monitors can be steep though.
All depends on your budget.

Thanks for that.
Very nice monitors but nearly $7000 AUD for a 15" monitor is a little rich for me. Would be nice though

I bought a 24" Walmart TV name brand started with an E for 124.00, hdmi input prolly better refresh rate than a monitor and it works great for spectators. running off a 350 watt car inverter that also charges my batteries.

I think I'm going to use a decent computer monitor with hdmi input and use a car battery and inverter.
Just watch the native resolution if you are going that route as some up/down scaling will occur since PC monitors are not usually native HD resolutions. And PC monitors are .of great at displaying video.
Better to use a TV as some have suggested if you do not want to go the dedicated field monitor way.
Remember the remote HDMI only outputs 720p so you do not have to go to the expense of a full HD screen if you don't want to - there would be no advantage at 15" in any case.

so you can do this very simply. Not sure what your budget is but here is how you can figure out what you can power and then find what you can do.

Just think of your favorite PIE... This is Ohm's Law (well a variation but same ballpark)

P is Power or Watts
I is Current or Amps
E is Voltage

So for example this Samsung TV has a maximum power consumption of 37 Watts, meaning that the most it will draw (normally on start up) would be 37 Watts.

A power inverted that runs off your car battery (12 volts) Coverts this to 120 Volts (household power) - ( I would recommend this being professionally installed so the right gauge wire would be used).

Using our Formula we would take P = 37 Amps (I) * 12 Volts (E) >> P = 444 Watts. A good rule of thumb is to take this up by a third which would be 590. You could install a 600 Watt power inverter in your car and run this 40" HD (HDMI compatible) TV off of an extension cord.

Hope this helps

Are you perhaps confusing watts & amps? (or am I (;>) )

If a telly uses 37 watts, surely it uses 37 watts at whatever voltage.....?
Using your rule of thumb, and taking it up a third, 50watts would be sufficient for the inverter..... I'd tend to go a little higher though, not sure on the efficiency of these units.

Are you perhaps confusing watts & amps? (or am I (;>) )

If a telly uses 37 watts, surely it uses 37 watts at whatever voltage.....?
Using your rule of thumb, and taking it up a third, 50watts would be sufficient for the inverter..... I'd tend to go a little higher though, not sure on the efficiency of these units.

The old 6 pack will do that to a person :)

You are correct I made a mistake with my post. Please see my corrected post below:

Just think of your favorite PIE... This is Ohm's Law (well a variation but same ballpark)

P is Power or Watts
I is Current or Amps
E is Voltage

So for example this Samsung TV has a maximum power consumption of 92 Watts, (37 Continuous Watts) meaning that the most it will draw (normally on start up) would be 92 Watts.

A power inverted that runs off your car battery (12 volts) Coverts this to 120 Volts (household power) - ( I would recommend this being professionally installed so the right gauge wire would be used).

Using our Formula we would take 92 Watts (Power) = I (Current) * 12 Volts (E). Use algebra here so that you get I (Current) alone. You multiply each side by 12 Volts (E) so it cancels out the 12 Volts on the right side and now makes the equation 92 Watts / 12 Volts = I (Current). Your I (Current) would be a 7.67 Amps.

So as AllanM showed you could run this of a 150 Watt inverted and make sure that you can sustain a current draw of 8 Amps.

Thanks for correcting my mistake there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont