Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Head tracking setup for second FPV camera

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been asked to post a build thread on my current build involving a second pilot camera for the DJI inspire 1 with headtracking functionality. I also thought I'd post it for future google searches, and members of this forum. This is what I have so far for my build, I'll post the other stuff as it shows up in the mail. I'll be problem solving as I go, so I'll im sticking to listing what I have so far.

1) Gopro tripod mount and other misc mounts I had laying around $10 -walmart
2) Fatshark Dominator HD's with headtracking module $550 new I bought used - Thanks Turbodronepilot!
3) Scotch 10LB double sided tape. Looks like gopros, grey and red tape- walmart $5
4) Fatshark tilt/pan servo assembly with fatshark 600tvl camera mounted. -bought from local dealer but you can find them on Hobbyking for around $50

The other stuff on the way will be mounted to the inspire as well. My goal is to make everything removable and have it fit in the stock travel case it came with. I've seen a lot of people do a build, or mount a camera inside the nose cone but I wanted to keep everything external as my compass is already sensitive enough as is. Anyways, this setup does not have to headtrack! you can use any other camera that will fit on the gopro arms. In order for the headtracking to work, I'll have to be have the dominators plugged into my DX8, and have a small receiver on board the inspire along with the other micro transmitters, battery, and antenna. The camera setup comes off easily for travel or storage, as you just remove a wingnut on the small gopro arm. Everything completely clears the props, even when the camera is tilted, and its entering flight mode. With this setup, I'll still be able to use the map feature from my tablet, while the camera operator gets the shots. 20150513_154403.jpg

Attachments

• 20150513_154355.jpg
    20150513_154355.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 128
  • 20150513_154355.jpg
    20150513_154355.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 94
  • 20150513_154414.jpg
    20150513_154414.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 104
  • 20150513_154558.jpg
    20150513_154558.jpg
    955.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 20150513_155609.jpg
    20150513_155609.jpg
    1,000.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 20150513_160002.jpg
    20150513_160002.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 108
  • 20150513_160832(0).jpg
    20150513_160832(0).jpg
    910 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Kinda ugly but...

giphy.gif

Ryan-Reynolds-Drooling-Reaction-Gif.gif

drool-o.gif

Lmfao I'll hang out with her, but im not inviting her to easter brunch with the parents if you know what I mean Haha. She's every bit as beautiful as my favorite A-10 warthog if you ask me :) Hopefully these No drone zone'rs wont think i'm over here with a pea shooter mounted on the thing like : 3897808587.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have been asked to post a build thread on my current build involving a second pilot camera for the DJI inspire 1 with headtracking functionality. I also thought I'd post it for future google searches, and members of this forum. This is what I have so far for my build, I'll post the other stuff as it shows up in the mail. I'll be problem solving as I go, so I'll im sticking to listing what I have so far.

2) Fatshark Dominator HD's with headtracking module $550 new I bought used - Thanks Turbodronepilot!
3) Scotch 10LB double sided tape. Looks like gopros, grey and red tape- walmart $5
4) Fatshark tilt/pan servo assembly with fatshark 600tvl camera mounted. -bought from local dealer but you can find them on Hobbyking for around $50

The other stuff on the way will be mounted to the inspire as well. My goal is to make everything removable and have it fit in the stock travel case it came with. I've seen a lot of people do a build, or mount a camera inside the nose cone but I wanted to keep everything external as my compass is already sensitive enough as is. Anyways, this setup does not have to headtrack! you can use any other camera that will fit on the gopro arms. In order for the headtracking to work, I'll have to be have the dominators plugged into my DX8, and have a small receiver on board the inspire along with the other micro transmitters, battery, and antenna. The camera setup comes off easily for travel or storage, as you just remove a wingnut on the small gopro arm. Everything completely clears the props, even when the camera is tilted, and its entering flight mode. With this setup, I'll still be able to use the map feature from my tablet, while the camera operator gets the shots. View attachment 1716
Are you thinking to use another 2.4 Ghz radio along with Inspire 1 ? DX8 is 2.4 GHz, it is no no, because of DJI lightbridge technology works on 2.4 GHz, and blast lot of information.

The other stuff on the way will be mounted to the inspire as well. My goal is to make everything removable and have it fit in the stock travel case it came with. I've seen a lot of people do a build, or mount a camera inside the nose cone but I wanted to keep everything external as my compass is already sensitive enough as is. Anyways, this setup does not have to headtrack! you can use any other camera that will fit on the gopro arms. In order for the headtracking to work, I'll have to be have the dominators plugged into my DX8, and have a small receiver on board the inspire along with the other micro transmitters, battery, and antenna. The camera setup comes off easily for travel or storage, as you just remove a wingnut on the small gopro arm. Everything completely clears the props, even when the camera is tilted, and its entering flight mode. With this setup, I'll still be able to use the map feature from my tablet, while the camera operator gets the shots. View attachment 1716

My God, it is possible? Ugly

As a former Cav Scout, the purrrr of that kitty is pure music!
As for FPV setup, small steps to midigate serious issues as much as posible.
See, if you bled the blue of the infantry, people would care about what you had to say...

Just kidding bro.

Ugly & 100 percent removable down to the tiny round gopro mount stuck under the nose. So where's the harm? I like having the dominators too anyways I plug into the HDMI out on the controller often without the use of the small camera. At this point it's more of a, Can it be pulled off? I appreciate the thoughts on this, ones like the 2.4ghz wont work, and go with the 5.8 etc. My thought on this was (I'm preparing to be schooled by super drone nerds here haha) is how come it's possible for so many 2.4ghz to be in one flying park at the same time? I didnt think there would be an issue based on that fact. I'd like to hear from the pros the best possible setup to be plugged into. if I can change the module on the TX like the Turnigy 9XR I could go with a 400mhz but I think it's illegal here in the US. Also for those dudes that want a fixed camera it would be way smaller and cleaner.

Cavsout was talking about the sound of that gun on the a10. Where do you think the warthog got its name?

Last edited:
Hey soflms!!
That's a intimidating setup brother. .
I love it when guys like you are creating cool mods like this!!
I'm still learning about all of the ghz stuff so I like reading about what it takes to get it all to work..
nice design from what I can tell!!
I like that all your gear is external so it doesn't effect the warranty. .pretty tricky !!
Nice job!!
Let us know how it turns out when you work out the bugs!!

Turbo. ...

Ugly & 100 percent removable down to the tiny round gopro mount stuck under the nose. So where's the harm? I like having the dominators too anyways I plug into the HDMI out on the controller often without the use of the small camera. At this point it's more of a, Can it be pulled off? I appreciate the thoughts on this, ones like the 2.4ghz wont work, and go with the 5.8 etc. My thought on this was (I'm preparing to be schooled by super drone nerds here haha) is how come it's possible for so many 2.4ghz to be in one flying park at the same time? I didnt think there would be an issue based on that fact. I'd like to hear from the pros the best possible setup to be plugged into. if I can change the module on the TX like the Turnigy 9XR I could go with a 400mhz but I think it's illegal here in the US. Also for those dudes that want a fixed camera it would be way smaller and cleaner.

Cavsout was talking about the sound of that gun on the a10. Where do you think the warthog got its name?
Sofilms, I think this is a great mod. Please let us know if you make it work, and if so a little tutorial video and links for the parts would be awesome. Pretty sure you would help a lot of people.

Reactions: Soflms
Sofilms, I think this is a great mod. Please let us know if you make it work, and if so a little tutorial video and links for the parts would be awesome. Pretty sure you would help a lot of people.
I'll for sure do a qucik video and list every part used at the end, once I have them all together. Right now im stuck on trying to figure out how to split up all the frequencies. Primarily plugging in the dominators to a transmitter and having the small reciever on the inspire for the servo control of the headtrack setup on the front. for example, the inspire needs 2.4 (controller lightbridge) and my fat sharks need 5.8ghz. I'm by no means an expert in the RC world when your start to dig deep. So heres where i'm stuck and would be happy if anyone that really knows could chime in. How do all 2.4ghz controllers work next to eachother in the flying field, but my 2.4ghz added to the inspire just for servo control on the headtracking mount wont work? My friends and I all fly normal rc stuff at the frield all running 2.4 at the same time. So how is this any different?

Last edited:
Reactions: IanSir-L
Because when many of you fly at the field all the transmitters are far from the recievers (airplanes in flight). Here your 2.4GHz receiver is a couple of cm away from the aircraft's powerful video transmitter that works in te same band, and is completely "blinded" by it.

Common FPV knowledge, if a receiver has to be close to a transmitter they should work on frequency bands that are as far apart as possible, and definitely not the same.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop