Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Increasing Range of Inspire 1 Lightbridge system

Reaction score
2 km is pretty sick, but... We always want more more more. I was doing some research on the Lightbridge component which is separately sold as well and apparently "there will be a patch antenna available later that will extend the range to 3km."

I'm wondering whether this antenna will also come available for Inspire 1's Lightbridge system or whether we will be able to extend range even further than 3 km (perhaps with custom antenna mods).

I'm not an expert on antennas and such, so what do you guys think?

Its top speed is 60mph for up to 22 minutes. This gives it an effective range of 10 miles out and back from take off point.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
[Quote = "catware, post: 933, medlem: 16590"] Dens toppfart er 60mph for opp til 22 minutter. Dette gir det en effektiv rekkevidde på 10 miles ut og tilbake fra å ta av punkt. [/ Quote]
You should have visual contact with Drona when flying, What if you bump into another aircraft. So know you should have. Only fools who engage in such. I am even pilot

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Increased range and posing a hazard to other aircraft are not directly correlated with each other. The predominant factor in increasing risk for a collision is AGL height, not distance from take-off location. Regardless, there are many legitimate uses for wanting increased range, and for that matter also the ability to fly 1000' or higher from the take-off point. Take for example my video below, in which I am a mile from my take-off point and 1200' high, yet there is absolutely zero chance of a full-sized aircraft being in the area I am flying in:

Last edited:
Increased range and posing a hazard to other aircraft are not directly correlated with each other. The predominant factor in increasing risk for a collision is AGL height, not distance from take-off location. Regardless, there are many legitimate uses for wanting increased range, and for that matter also the ability to fly 1000' or higher from the take-off point. Take for example my video below, in which I am a mile from my take-off point and 1200' high, yet there is absolutely zero chance of a full-sized aircraft being in the area I am flying in:

Beautifully done catware!

I think it will drop out of the sky from a dead battery before it could return for 3k anyway. Lol.
In Atti mode the I1 can fly at more than 1km/minute so easily can make 3kms and back. As a matter of fact i have seen someone do a mod and youtube and then they flew 5 kms and back.

Its top speed is 60mph for up to 22 minutes. This gives it an effective range of 10 miles out and back from take off point.

ive never got over 16 min on a battery myself so id love to know how you think you can get 22 minutes but i did follow it with my vehicle while flying in a straight line and flew for 10.7 miles before i had to land, so flights up to at least 5 miles depending on wind speed are definitely possible. Seen plenty of people modifying antennas in order to achieve this.

Reactions: 3space
In stock in stock form, I have flown out to 4.5km, got back with 15% battery left for round trip distance of over 9km on a TB47.

With a homemade windsurfer attachment(all stock otherwise), I got out to 5.25km before turning back towards home. Hit some headwind on the way back, ate into my margin and landed my inspire with 1% battery left. Total distance of 10.5km round trip(spent about 45 seconds at max range taking pics and video). I hit 10% critical battery and the inspire legs lowered when it was still 700m away from home point. Talk about getting away with one and feeling "alive" after almost not making it back.

So, in stock form with clear signal line of sight, the stock Inspire had plenty of range. What we need is better penetration when there is no clear signal line of sight, I.e when blocked by trees, etc...

I have one TB-47 and 4 TB-48s. Wondering how far people have flown with TB-48 without losing transmitter connectivity (control, not video). Most of my flying is over water.

In stock in stock form, I have flown out to 4.5km, got back with 15% battery left for round trip distance of over 9km on a TB47.

With a homemade windsurfer attachment(all stock otherwise), I got out to 5.25km before turning back towards home. Hit some headwind on the way back, ate into my margin and landed my inspire with 1% battery left. Total distance of 10.5km round trip(spent about 45 seconds at max range taking pics and video). I hit 10% critical battery and the inspire legs lowered when it was still 700m away from home point. Talk about getting away with one and feeling "alive" after almost not making it back.

So, in stock form with clear signal line of sight, the stock Inspire had plenty of range. What we need is better penetration when there is no clear signal line of sight, I.e when blocked by trees, etc...
So completely stock? No refectors or anything other than what it came with?
Did you still have video at 5 kms out?

So completely stock? No refectors or anything other than what it came with?
Did you still have video at 5 kms out?
Yes, completely stock. At 5km out, I had to make sure antennas were pointed squarely at the Inspire. Had both video feed and rc. Was able to hang around for 45 seconds taking videos and pics. Range of 5.25km with windsurfer reflectors and 4.75km without.

Frank Tan: So, it sounds like my operating the Inspire 1 at 500m distance and 90m height, over water, should not be of concern to me. Would you agree? Would you also agree with no concern for 800m distance at 90m height, over water?

Frank Tan: So, it sounds like my operating the Inspire 1 at 500m distance and 90m height, over water, should not be of concern to me. Would you agree? Would you also agree with no concern for 800m distance at 90m height, over water?
Welcome to your new addiction. ..and to inspirepilots.com.
A half mile isn't far at all for an inspire. .
a good flying stock inspire can easily reach 2 miles. ..
I suggest using a getter back recovery system if you're going to fly over water...
one one each side of the inspire. .
turb ..

Definitely not an issue, Inspire has plenty of range beyond that - as long as there is a clear signal line of sight that is not blocked by trees, etc...

Additionally, i have found that if you flew over water, the signal reception is better - could be because the signals are not blocked and could bounce off the water surface, giving you a better signal coverage.

I did 4.5km in pure stock form over water at a max height of about only 85m, for total distance round trip of about 9km.

Welcome to your new addiction. ..and to inspirepilots.com.
A half mile isn't far at all for an inspire. .
a good flying stock inspire can easily reach 2 miles. ..
I suggest using a getter back recovery system if you're going to fly over water...
one one each side of the inspire. .
turb ..

Thanks turbodronepilot, I'll follow your suggestion.

Definitely not an issue, Inspire has plenty of range beyond that - as long as there is a clear signal line of sight that is not blocked by trees, etc...

Additionally, i have found that if you flew over water, the signal reception is better - could be because the signals are not blocked and could bounce off the water surface, giving you a better signal coverage.

I did 4.5km in pure stock form over water at a max height of about only 85m, for total distance round trip of about 9km.

That's amazing. I think I'll venture out a bit farther then! Thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84