Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 Controller Firmware Roll Back.

Which controller do you have? I believe the "C" is not downgrade-able.

D
I have two I1s, my original V2, and a V1 I bought used as a backup. This gives me 2 Cs and a B, and PO used the B as a slave. I need to try a few things that just occurred to me with the B before we talk much about it. Currently it powers on but doesn’t connect to anything, including the mobile device. PO said when I bought it that it was probably due to firmware. I haven’t tried to pair it to the V1 since the downgrade though, so I’ll do some experimenting with that today.

I am about to purchase a new, old stock model C controller! It has never been turned on, let alone updated, so I’m about to have that going for me. I’m thinking connecting this C to my current iPad/ Go3 app may be a bad idea. I don’t trust DJI any longer.

If it won't connect to anything, it might just be the USB/HDMI interface at the back of the controller. Unfortunately those are almost as expensive as buying a used controller.

I wouldn't worry about connecting a controller to your tablet. There is little they can do there, especially if you use 3.1.1 legacy application. I do not know if the legacy app will do proper firmware updates to the RC though. I have had to use the latest apps to get firmware updates to work, but I am also using Android.

But I own 2 "A" controllers, 2 "C" controllers and a "B" controller. The "A" controllers were used with the Inspire 1 V1 and the "B" came with the Inspire 1 Pro I bought. I sourced the "C" controllers after the fact.

All downrevved to 1.6.0 except for a single "C" controller. That would give the "Encryption Error" on anything but 1.7.6/1.7.8 and I have no idea if it will work as a slave either.

I did postulate that the "C" controller would work better as a "master" for the V2 Inspires, and the "B" better as a "slave", but I have yet to get to those tests personally.

Thanks Brian, so I’m guess that it would be wiser, or at least easier, for me to get an Android tablet to run 3.1.1, rather than mess with the iPad system?

Thanks Brian, so I’m guess that it would be wiser, or at least easier, for me to get an Android tablet to run 3.1.1, rather than mess with the iPad system?
Oh, I don't know if that would be the case (easier or wiser), as in I don't use iOS products.

Your iPad system may be perfectly fine for doing this stuff. I would imagine as long as the controller communicates fine and the iPad works well, you should be able to do firmware downgrades just fine. I don't think I have ever read where someone complained that their iPad wouldn't do the basic functions of DJI Go or DJI Go 4.

I would get things going and roll back the firmwares to 1.8.1.0 AC and 1.6.0 RC and then worry about going abck to an earlier version of the application. (Primarily for the non-nagging aspect of DJI's latter offerings)

Reactions: Imagesmith
Oh, I don't know if that would be the case (easier or wiser), as in I don't use iOS products.

Your iPad system may be perfectly fine for doing this stuff. I would imagine as long as the controller communicates fine and the iPad works well, you should be able to do firmware downgrades just fine. I don't think I have ever read where someone complained that their iPad wouldn't do the basic functions of DJI Go or DJI Go 4.
My concern is that when there’s a major iOS update (ie. iOS 13.0 replacing iOS 12.x) then apps usually need to be updated to work on the new iOS, or else they won’t open. I doubt anyone is performing these kinds of app updates to 3.1.1. My understanding is that Android systems don’t do this. As in 3.1.1 will run on any version of Android.

My purchase of a C model RC fell through. Can a GL858A from a Matrice 600 be used with an I1?

My purchase of a C model RC fell through. Can a GL858A from a Matrice 600 be used with an I1?
Yes, any of the controllers will work with any of the aircraft.

Honestly, here is how *I* look at it, based on everything I have read and know about the tech:

"A" controllers are originally sold with T600 aircraft. Everything is paired and it works well. Reference standard.
"B" controllers come out as a redesign with slightly lower power.
"C" controllers come out as a higher powered design for use with the T601 aircraft (v2/Pro/RAW) that has also a higher powered radio in it. Power is so much that pairing "C" controllers for Master/Slave has "issues" with the 5.8GHz feed used between controllers and thus issues ensue (primarily because they 5.8GHz antenna is the left antenna with part of the 2.4GHz system (can't remember if it is receiver or transmitting antenna), thus you end up having issues if two "C" controllers are used. The "workaround" for this is to pair a "B" controller "slave" with a "C" controller "master" to negate the issues.

Now, the higher power aspect was totally "cut off" by firmware updates from DJI, so much so that basically all three versions have near-equivalent power output with the latest firmware.

Ultimately, you can use a "A" controller with a T600 or T601 aircraft radio, same with a "B" controller and a "C" controller. They are all the same frequencies and protocols.

But, personally, the "C" controller as master with the right firmware on a T601 radio aircraft with the right firmware and you have a VERY powerful, long-range setup.

I think the majority of issues came into play with "B" controllers being used on T600 and T601 aircraft with "latest firmwares". Even then I know plenty of people using "B" controllers with the right firmware and having zero issues.

Ultimately, for my use I will probably keep the two "A" controllers with the V1 I have as master/slave. I will use a "C" controller as "master" with my V2 and use the "B" controller as a "slave" to the "C" controller.

My concern is that when there’s a major iOS update (ie. iOS 13.0 replacing iOS 12.x) then apps usually need to be updated to work on the new iOS, or else they won’t open. I doubt anyone is performing these kinds of app updates to 3.1.1. My understanding is that Android systems don’t do this. As in 3.1.1 will run on any version of Android.
In that case you are right, Android devices get dropped for OS updates all the time and just operate as they are forever. If that is what you want to do, that would probably make sense.

It is just a whole can of worms you are opening up on choosing an Android device for use with a drone. Lots of options (most not so good, some have known issues, others require hacked firmware), and it can get quite spendy.

I just purchased a TriplTek Pro a month and a half ago... Great display, 1200nits brightness (only Crystalsky Ultra is brighter), Android OS 9, massive battery (10,000mAh lasts for days), anti-glare screen protector already applied and VERY rugged. I use it for the Inspires, P4P, Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom, Mavic Air v1 and even the Parrot Anafi I own.

As backups I have older Samsung tablets and LG smartphones (Tablet Pro 8.4 with custom rom, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition, Fire HDX tablet, LG G5, LG V20) and find no issues with any for drone use.

Reactions: Imagesmith
Yes, any of the controllers will work with any of the aircraft.

Honestly, here is how *I* look at it, based on everything I have read and know about the tech:

"A" controllers are originally sold with T600 aircraft. Everything is paired and it works well. Reference standard.
"B" controllers come out as a redesign with slightly lower power.
"C" controllers come out as a higher powered design for use with the T601 aircraft (v2/Pro/RAW) that has also a higher powered radio in it. Power is so much that pairing "C" controllers for Master/Slave has "issues" with the 5.8GHz feed used between controllers and thus issues ensue (primarily because they 5.8GHz antenna is the left antenna with part of the 2.4GHz system (can't remember if it is receiver or transmitting antenna), thus you end up having issues if two "C" controllers are used. The "workaround" for this is to pair a "B" controller "slave" with a "C" controller "master" to negate the issues.

Now, the higher power aspect was totally "cut off" by firmware updates from DJI, so much so that basically all three versions have near-equivalent power output with the latest firmware.

Ultimately, you can use a "A" controller with a T600 or T601 aircraft radio, same with a "B" controller and a "C" controller. They are all the same frequencies and protocols.

But, personally, the "C" controller as master with the right firmware on a T601 radio aircraft with the right firmware and you have a VERY powerful, long-range setup.

I think the majority of issues came into play with "B" controllers being used on T600 and T601 aircraft with "latest firmwares". Even then I know plenty of people using "B" controllers with the right firmware and having zero issues.

Ultimately, for my use I will probably keep the two "A" controllers with the V1 I have as master/slave. I will use a "C" controller as "master" with my V2 and use the "B" controller as a "slave" to the "C" controller.
For clarity, the I1 remotes are GL658a/b/c, but I was asking about a GL868a that came with the enterprise class Matrice M600.

There is no 658a from an Inspire in my collection.

If I’m understanding everything you & Donnie have said, my two 658c remotes cannot be downgraded. And it sounds like my one 658b is broken, due to not working with my iPad... which basically means I’m screwed.

Have any opinions between a Yuneeq H520E or the Autel Evo II line up?

Well, quite honestly, I would think it is jumping the gun a bit to say the two GL658C remotes you have cannot be downgraded.

I can downgrade my problem one, but I just get a "Encryption" error. But it does downgrade.

Until you get to that point, I would consider your controllers to be downgradable. It is just a matter of going through the process of doing it successfully with the proper hardware.

Alas, I would source a cheap android phone/tablet, something running android OS 8 or 9 at the very least. It shouldn't cost more than $30-60 or so. Then get it loaded with the latest DJI Go and go through the process of seeing if your "B" controller will connect, and if you can downgrade the "C" controllers.

If you want, you could package up the controllers and send them to me and I can look at them. Just pay for shipping both ways and give me a week (lots of stuff going on around here all the time) to check them out and I am sure I could either get them done or a solid "knowing" of what is what.

I have done the flashing procedure at least 2-3 dozen times, so I am well aware of how the app acts. I even know when to unplug the controller as part of the procedure to "unbrick" a controller that is stuck on the mint-green LED status, as well as how to get the controller into blue LED "firmware upgrade status" when it is stuck and won't on it's own.
How do you do this?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry