Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 FPV camera broken - DJI RMA assistance NIGHTMARE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I've been owning an Inspire 2 for some time now (almost from the launch), and recently I experienced a strange behaviour with the FPV camera.
I need to premise that I already returned the X5S for a vibration on the yaw axis, a TB50 battery for unbalance at 1 month and 11 charges (!), and replaced many sets of gimbal rubber dampeners, as they become chewing gum in some days under the sun. Everything under warranty. Oh and the quick release mounts too, they got so hard to operate that I needed a new set.

Last week I sent in the aircraft to DJI Netherlands as the FPV camera has been going crazy for the last month, doing every kind of strange movement and not stabilising the video at all.
It basically does the initialisation dance, but then turns fully upward and rolls completely to the left and stays there. Unusable in any way.
I had some work to do, that I could in some way perform, but the pucker factor of having the piloting camera skewed is something I would not recommend anyone on a 10k$ drone.

So a phone call with DJI assistance confirmed me that they would perform the repair at no cost, under RMA that is valid until March 2019.

Then I received a nice email from them when they state I have to pay 429 EURO to repair the drone!!!
dji rma.png

They state that the drone has been modified, it crashed and these are the "proof" they claim:

e338a024-45a0-473d-9451-389a253f6ed4.jpg7a79587a-802e-4c04-b0ac-32b8c77fc962.jpgec36e87b-0613-43b3-8d8d-e6c518668417.jpgfc2857e3-d18a-4366-aacc-78c98f0e60ed.jpg

So basically, the drone NEVER CRASHED, but they think so.
The motor is scratched by handling, but its working perfectly. Zero need to replace it.
The quick lock mounts are missing because I bought a new set to replace the old ones, that are too hard to operate due to wear.
They stated they quoted me for the quick lock "because we need them for flight test. "
Oh boy. Seriously? You are the only DJI authorised service center in Europe, and you do not have 20€ worth of parts at your disposal to test customers' 10k€ drones?

The rubber dampener are some custom ones that I placed after being TIRED of their s°°t ones, that became too soft after one week each set, and that keep a 4k$ camera attached to the drone in such a flimsy way... These are proper ones, that do dampen vibration perfectly, and are hollow, so a safety ziptie can be inserted...
And on top of that, they found a fantomatic "skewed arm" that requires 76 euro plus labour to fix.

WHAT - ON - EARTH

I contacted them many times by phone, but the answer are always the same, like I didn't already read their email. No helpful at all.

I replied multiple times to their email address, only to be accused of crashing the drone myself. Totally unacceptable.

At this point I am very tempted to take a plane, fly to Netherlands and go visit this repair shop in person.
There is no way I'll pay 500 euro to repair something that basically IS NOT BROKEN, and also to have the FPV camera fixed after IT SOFTWARE-BROKE UNDER WARRANTY!!!

Thanks DJI, this is the last time I'll deal with you.

There's a nice ZCAM E2 coming out, with 4k 120p on 10 bit H265 for 1999$
I'll set up a nice 6 or 8 motor PixHawk based drone, like in the old days, even if the only benefit would be being able to solve the problems by myself!

Hello everybody,
I've been owning an Inspire 2 for some time now (almost from the launch), and recently I experienced a strange behaviour with the FPV camera.
I need to premise that I already returned the X5S for a vibration on the yaw axis, a TB50 battery for unbalance at 1 month and 11 charges (!), and replaced many sets of gimbal rubber dampeners, as they become chewing gum in some days under the sun. Everything under warranty. Oh and the quick release mounts too, they got so hard to operate that I needed a new set.

Last week I sent in the aircraft to DJI Netherlands as the FPV camera has been going crazy for the last month, doing every kind of strange movement and not stabilising the video at all.
It basically does the initialisation dance, but then turns fully upward and rolls completely to the left and stays there. Unusable in any way.
I had some work to do, that I could in some way perform, but the pucker factor of having the piloting camera skewed is something I would not recommend anyone on a 10k$ drone.

So a phone call with DJI assistance confirmed me that they would perform the repair at no cost, under RMA that is valid until March 2019.

Then I received a nice email from them when they state I have to pay 429 EURO to repair the drone!!!
View attachment 22332

They state that the drone has been modified, it crashed and these are the "proof" they claim:

View attachment 22333View attachment 22334View attachment 22335View attachment 22336

So basically, the drone NEVER CRASHED, but they think so.
The motor is scratched by handling, but its working perfectly. Zero need to replace it.
The quick lock mounts are missing because I bought a new set to replace the old ones, that are too hard to operate due to wear.
They stated they quoted me for the quick lock "because we need them for flight test. "
Oh boy. Seriously? You are the only DJI authorised service center in Europe, and you do not have 20€ worth of parts at your disposal to test customers' 10k€ drones?

The rubber dampener are some custom ones that I placed after being TIRED of their s°°t ones, that became too soft after one week each set, and that keep a 4k$ camera attached to the drone in such a flimsy way... These are proper ones, that do dampen vibration perfectly, and are hollow, so a safety ziptie can be inserted...
And on top of that, they found a fantomatic "skewed arm" that requires 76 euro plus labour to fix.

WHAT - ON - EARTH

I contacted them many times by phone, but the answer are always the same, like I didn't already read their email. No helpful at all.

I replied multiple times to their email address, only to be accused of crashing the drone myself. Totally unacceptable.

At this point I am very tempted to take a plane, fly to Netherlands and go visit this repair shop in person.
There is no way I'll pay 500 euro to repair something that basically IS NOT BROKEN, and also to have the FPV camera fixed after IT SOFTWARE-BROKE UNDER WARRANTY!!!

Thanks DJI, this is the last time I'll deal with you.

There's a nice ZCAM E2 coming out, with 4k 120p on 10 bit H265 for 1999$
I'll set up a nice 6 or 8 motor PixHawk based drone, like in the old days, even if the only benefit would be being able to solve the problems by myself!

I’m not quite sure what the purpose of this thread is, except to have a rant. However, as this is an ongoing dispute directly with DJI can I please remind you of our forum rules:

Manufacturer/Distributor/Vendor and Customer Disputes

This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about manufacturers, distributors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and distributors through other means but not through our community.

Thank You

This is a form of warning and problem reporting that other customers should be informed of.
Isn't a forum a place where people share experiences and opinions about their passion/job/life?
This is my story, what happened to me, and I feel obligated to share with others.
On facebook many appreciated this, contributed with their opinions and also asked for suggestions.
Hope the same can happen in this forum too.

Cheers

This is a form of warning and problem reporting that other customers should be informed of.
Isn't a forum a place where people share experiences and opinions about their passion/job/life?
This is my story, what happened to me, and I feel obligated to share with others.
On facebook many appreciated this, contributed with their opinions and also asked for suggestions.
Hope the same can happen in this forum too.

Cheers
Yes, but be mindful of our forum rules (the pertinent one being quoted above). This is currently an ongoing dispute between you and DJI.
We have had a plethora of bemoaning DJI threads over the years.

Fact is - DJI is both market leader and worst customer service.
Why not creating a dedicated section of the forum for complaints?
So everything can be placed here... at own risk of the conscious visitor... :)

I2 fpv camera need to be recalibrated. it's easy if your I2 have old firmware like 0330 (march 2017). You need an old ASSISTANT version to force Debug mode and see calibrating FPV camera ;-) search I2 hack on google.

Reactions: Drone_Video

That is a great suggestion from you, and I appreciate it, but I am NOT going to hack something that is under warranty, and that did broke by itself basically.
I will keep this in mind for future reference though :cool:

I had this exact issue with the FPV camera. The local dealer did the calibration for me. Took them 60 seconds. They had to log into DJI assistant with a special account that then activated the FPV calibration submenu.

They also had a tool that holds the FPV camera level while it calibrates. They said they use to hold the camera by hand but after some time DJI sent them a tool to hold it level while it calibrated.

I think the hacking being referred to here is to expose the calibration sub menu in DJI assistant. If that’s what it is I would not be worried about doing it. If you have a local repair shop that can do it let them. But don’t pay 500 bucks ! This was literally a 60 second fix.

Fact is - DJI is both market leader and worst customer service.
Why not creating a dedicated section of the forum for complaints?
So everything can be placed here... at own risk of the conscious visitor... :)

This forum doesn’t need a complaints section for interactions with DJI . DJI has a forum you can use for direct dialog with them.

As for any potential buyers they can do research and come to their own conclusions. Overall the inspire 2 is good platform that is not without issues and yes DJI support is not the best. But eventually things get done and where they don’t we turn to guys like thunderdrone to get stuff done.

I think if your looking for advice on how to handle a difficult engagement with DJI I think it’s within the rules of the forum and you will find some good people that are willing to share both their advice and experiences.

I trust you will take my commenting for what it’s intended, constructive and positive dialog.

That is a great suggestion from you, and I appreciate it, but I am NOT going to hack something that is under warranty, and that did broke by itself basically.
I will keep this in mind for future reference though :cool:

The hack he is referring to is to enable the FPV calibration menu. Your not “hacking” the aircraft or the firmware. This would just trick the software into revealing the hidden menu that for some likely really silly reason DJI has chooses to hide when all other calibration menus are available direct to the end user.

The weirdest part of the FPV calibration is you have to hold the FPV camera in its proper level position diving against the gimbal motors while it Calibrates. I saw them so this last week to mine and with the tool it’s easy but without the tool the hardest part will be figuring out how to hold it level while the 60 second calibration process runs.

This forum doesn’t need a complaints section for interactions with DJI . DJI has a forum you can use for direct dialog with them.

Yeah I appreciate, but trying to expose an issue on DJI forums results in immediate ban... been there, done that.
So this seems quite a safe platform to discuss without worries.

The hack he is referring to is to enable the FPV calibration menu. Your not “hacking” the aircraft or the firmware. This would just trick the software into revealing the hidden menu that for some likely really silly reason DJI has chooses to hide when all other calibration menus are available direct to the end user.

Well, explain this to DJI when trying to RMA it...
They accused me of modifying the drone without me even touching it, I can imagine what happens if they find out such a calibration has been attempted by the user :D

Yeah I appreciate, but trying to expose an issue on DJI forums results in immediate ban... been there, done that.
So this seems quite a safe platform to discuss without worries.

It’s too bad their skin is so thin. I do understand your situation. This forum is one of the more pleasant ones I’m on and I think the moderators try really hard to keep that way. If your asking for advice you will find it here.

Reactions: Ragnar51
Well, explain this to DJI when trying to RMA it...
They accused me of modifying the drone without me even touching it, I can imagine what happens if they find out such a calibration has been attempted by the user [emoji1]

I’m not saying I support it or even that you should do it. I am just offering you some additional information to inform your decision.

It’s too bad you don’t have someone more local that was authorized to do this very simple calibration. Having that tool makes it really easy.

Yeah that would have been nice... but I'm OK with DJI NL dealing with it, as long as it under warranty!!

BTW after my numerous complaints on their Facebook pages and forums, they finally escalated the case.
Let's wait and see...

I finally got back my Inspire 2, but this was NOT a pretty thing.

After many, many emails with Stefan van den Berk from DJI support NL, I managed to get it shipped back without they touching it any further.
They basically admitted that from the log, it is true that the drone never crashed; they reckoned that the quick lock mounts missing were not a problem, they did not question the proper functioning of the motors anymore, but still wanted to be payed to fix the camera, adding that this would anyway be voiding the warranty and that they will not even perform a flight test, since this would be a non authorised procedure.

To keep it short, I requested the drone back, and they sent it as it was, untouched.

I immediately checked all the things they pointed out that in their mind they need to fix.
As you can see, there are absolutely no issue with arms alignment, and the scratches on the motor they wanted to replace are just minimal.

20181023_221037.jpg

20181023_221013.jpg

20181023_221157.jpg

20181023_221227.jpg

20181023_221714.jpg

20181023_221730.jpg

I then downloaded DJI Assistant 2 version 1.1.2, performed some tweaks as per online guides you find easily, and got the deep configuration menus available.
As you guys suggested, the FPV camera calibration was just a matter of clicking "Calibrate" and holding it still for a minute or so.

Assistant 1.png

Assistant 2.png

No need to say that now it works properly, without the need to spend a single cent.
So again, DJI wanted me to pay almost 500 USD to perform completely unnecessary repairs on a drone that was working perfectly, and to fix a problem that came by itself and MUST have been solved under warranty.

20181024_112756.jpg

Guys, try to do your best to NOT deal with DJI Support / DJI Netherlands.
They will just suck your money out for no reason at all.

Thank you very much to all you guys that helped me and many others that are reading to solve a huge issue and save us a lot of money.
I do owe you a beer.

And BTW we are getting rid of any DJI equipment in our possession, switching to some proper custom ArduCopter drones, and with parts from honest companies like Gremsy, ZCAM, Connex and so.

So in case you need one, I have a DJI Inspire 2 for sale, with X5S, 10x TB50 batteries, 256g SSD etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engko