Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 Settings for Smooth Flight and Video Control

Reaction score
Now that we're starting to receive the I2's. I'm looking for some advice.. I'm a bit new to video capture on a drone, but want to learn the proper way to keep my video looking smooth and professional. For example, it appears to me that the Yaw speed it quite fast. It's great for flying and just having fun, but if I'm trying to record smooth professional looking video I would think this would need to be slowed down from the factory settings. Same with the tilt. Not to mention the several camera settings that I am just learning how to perfect.

But having seen some amazing video from people here in this forum, I can see that there are some of you that have some amazing skill and I'm hoping that you might offer a novice some advice based on your vast experience on how I should modify the various settings on the bird and camera to help make my videos appear much better than I really am.. :)

I know this is a broad topic, but perhaps just a few of your favorite tips and tricks.

My current setup: Inspire 2, X5S

Thank you in advance.

Now that we're starting to receive the I2's. I'm looking for some advice.. I'm a bit new to video capture on a drone, but want to learn the proper way to keep my video looking smooth and professional. For example, it appears to me that the Yaw speed it quite fast. It's great for flying and just having fun, but if I'm trying to record smooth professional looking video I would think this would need to be slowed down from the factory settings. Same with the tilt. Not to mention the several camera settings that I am just learning how to perfect.

But having seen some amazing video from people here in this forum, I can see that there are some of you that have some amazing skill and I'm hoping that you might offer a novice some advice based on your vast experience on how I should modify the various settings on the bird and camera to help make my videos appear much better than I really am.. :)

I know this is a broad topic, but perhaps just a few of your favorite tips and tricks.

Thank you in advance.
You can go into settings and reduce the gain setting to close to 50%. Also, remember that flying for photo/video work is completely different than for fun. Important things like alignment, smooth flight, interesting framing of the subject, etc are forgotten. Scour the internet for tutorials and watch them. Become a camera geek and get to know the interface in the app so that it's all subconscious and zen. Become a drone geek and know how to fly your craft in any setting and condition (not just the GPS mode). Never use auto take off, landing or RTH. You fly this airframe...

You can go into settings and reduce the gain setting to close to 50%. Also, remember that flying for photo/video work is completely different than for fun. Important things like alignment, smooth flight, interesting framing of the subject, etc are forgotten. Scour the internet for tutorials and watch them. Become a camera geek and get to know the interface in the app so that it's all subconscious and zen. Become a drone geek and know how to fly your craft in any setting and condition (not just the GPS mode). Never use auto take off, landing or RTH. You fly this airframe...

Please don't hand out bad advice like this. It can result in some unwanted surprises as the craft will become dangerously unresponsive! Have you done this yourself, or did you just misspeak and meant adjusting attitude, braking sensitivity and yaw to a lower value? Gains OTOH are absolute adjustments and no-one I know recommends flying with 50% gain settings.

As far as the rest of your advice to get to know your craft, I have no quarrel.

Reactions: marctronixx
Please don't hand out bad advice like this. It can result in some unwanted surprises as the craft will become dangerously unresponsive! Have you done this yourself, or did you just misspeak and meant adjusting attitude, braking sensitivity and yaw to a lower value? Gains OTOH are absolute adjustments and no-one I know recommends flying with 50% gain settings.

As far as the rest of your advice to get to know your craft, I have no quarrel.
Yes I have. Again, this isn't flying for fun and entertainment. Slow and steady is the rule. This is flying for $$$

Yes I have. Again, this isn't flying for fun and entertainment. Slow and steady is the rule. This is flying for $$$

Look, there are an almost infinite variety of adjustments to make the bird respond like you want them to. To expo, attitude, braking and yaw adjustments have been added Cinematic and Tripod modes. Gains, on the other hand, should be the last thing to adjust, and then only in 5-10% increments.

What you are recommending to a noob is to essentially cut the responsiveness of the craft in half, and all in one fell swoop. If that is what you are really recommending, then I have to question what kind of $$$ you've been making. :eek:

Look, there are an almost infinite variety of adjustments to make the bird respond like you want them to. To expo, attitude, braking and yaw adjustments have been added Cinematic and Tripod modes. Gains, on the other hand, should be the last thing to adjust, and then only in 5-10% increments.

What you are recommending to a noob is to essentially cut the responsiveness of the craft in half, and all in one fell swoop. If that is what you are really recommending, then I have to question what kind of $$$ you've been making. :eek:
So, think about this. I'm suggesting cutting the responsiveness in half at the same time as saying know everything about your craft, know how to fly in all modes, and know your camera cold. Fly slow, smooth and with a purpose. What's your beef?

Reactions: droneseyeview

Thank you in advance.
Maverik --- I'd recommend knowing the various lenses and their strengths and weaknesses as a key first step. Also understanding manual camera settings is key. You mention new to video . . . make sure your shutter speed and frame rate are constant and purely as techinque (some will argue its not necessary) when you know the shot you want, I always turn off auto-exposure . . . more times than not (and I still forget sometimes) that can turn a clip into a bad lighting situation. My $.02 ~

Hi Mav,

Your settings will have a huge impact on the way your product looks at every pilot ability level. The I2 offers a staggering amount of adjustment and I think the core of your topic would be a very valuable discussion. A few suggestions:

Tripod mode is wonderful for certain shots.

EXP has a Gentle and a Normal setting (both of which can be adjusted via curves). Gentle appears to be the value you would get if you changed Normal to .10. These settings change the response curve from the sticks and allow you to "ease in". You will get the most bang for your buck here. To test what this will do for you, take off and toggle between gentle and normal. Feel the differences. Those are the extremes and both can be nuanced with the curves. Somewhere around .34 feels great to me. Still playing with it.

You also get 3 saved configurations for Gimbal settings (both pitch and yaw). I just started messing with this but it will be critical to smooth camera motions. I would love to hear what you guys are using there.

I truly believe that practicing in an open area to get oriented with your drone is the best way to start. You must position yourself mentally inside the drone so you can get the most accurate control. Leave yourself a large area for error and be real slow wit your movements. Changing expo settings are oriented for faster acrobatic movements which you won't really be doing at least not for starters and definitely not for smooth video. It also can put you in a bad situation in the event you need to move fast out of a situation. You'll find yourself getting into trouble if you change or tamper with those settings. Personally, I don't recommend this action but thats just my 2 cents.

Thank you in advance.

As has been said - practice in a big field. Reducing the braking might be your first adjustment. Say 10% at a time. Also consider ATTI mode which is a bit like flying on ice. It is very smooth. Again in a big field without much wind till you get used to it.

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

Actually expo settings are one of the first and most important settings to smooth out the flight characteristics, if you've ever flown RC Helis (or any RC flying model) for any length of time you would all know that, it seems that because people are flying drones with no previous flying ability a lot of rubbish is spouted on these forums, first learn to fly properly unassisted without the likes of GPS and then use it as an aid but not to rely on it, then learn all the aspects of filming techniques, if you can't fly the bird without GPS you shouldn't fly in the first place especially over people or property, if you have to consciously think which way to move the sticks then you need more practice. One of the best pieces of advice is to get a small hand held drone and fly that every minute you get. If you do change any of the control settings change them in small increments and then practice, right down any settings youve changed and the amount you changed them by, use the simulator as much as you can, it responds to any changes you make to give you an idea of what difference it makes.

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

Actually expo settings are one of the first and most important settings to smooth out the flight characteristics, if you've ever flown RC Helis (or any RC flying model) for any length of time you would all know that, it seems that because people are flying drones with no previous flying ability a lot of rubbish is spouted on these forums, first learn to fly properly unassisted without the likes of GPS and then use it as an aid but not to rely on it, then learn all the aspects of filming techniques, if you can't fly the bird without GPS you shouldn't fly in the first place especially over people or property, if you have to consciously think which way to move the sticks then you need more practice. One of the best pieces of advice is to get a small hand held drone and fly that every minute you get. If you do change any of the control settings change them in small increments and then practice, right down any settings youve changed and the amount you changed them by, use the simulator as much as you can, it responds to any changes you make to give you an idea of what difference it makes.

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots
100% with you on all counts. The gains would be the last on my list to change and only if I felt the craft was too floaty or too jittery. But 100% gains is about right for I2, and I dare to say 99% of people will never need or want to change it. Expo on the other hand is a perfect tool for changing and adjusting the sensitivity of the sticks and thus responsivness of the craft to stick movement. For beginners the curve should be pretty S shaped with large portion around center horizontal and then gradually ascending to the right top corner and descending to the left bottom corner. Once you get comfy with controling the craft, you can start straightening the S curve to almost a striaght line running diagonaly from bottom left corner to top right corner.

100% with you on all counts. The gains would be the last on my list to change and only if I felt the craft was too floaty or too jittery. But 100% gains is about right for I2, and I dare to say 99% of people will never need or want to change it. Expo on the other hand is a perfect tool for changing and adjusting the sensitivity of the sticks and thus responsivness of the craft to stick movement. For beginners the curve should be pretty S shaped with large portion around center horizontal and then gradually ascending to the right top corner and descending to the left bottom corner. Once you get comfy with controling the craft, you can start straightening the S curve to almost a striaght line running diagonaly from bottom left corner to top right corner.
Do you have, like, a graphic or photo of this? Thanks.

So, what Expo settings do you recommend?
The ones that are right for you. (Everyone's flying techniques and styles are different). Some people thumb some pinch. Muscle memory and fine motor (muscle) control varies from person to person.
Have a search on Google regarding exactly what expo does and why it is used and how it alters stick sensitivity around center logarithmically. Then adjust and try.....then tweak to your liking.
Throttle response is far better linear though so I would advise not dialling in throttle expo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide