Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 Shot down tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really sorry for your loss. I hope you can find a way to prove who did it. Offering a reward might be a good idea - someone might have heard the shot and saw this guy with a gun.
On the bright side, that news cast will alert/warn many people that think it is ok to shoot down a drone. I would definitely get the FAA involved - in fact, isn't it mandatory to report something like this to the FAA?

Well guys I was shot down tonight. Had been flying about 10-15 minutes was over a church that's across from me (about 500 ft from where I was standing) and I was hovering at 352 feet when I here a small caliber gun shot and then my bird spinning out of control. He clipped the rear motor on the left side of the bird and it spun to the ground. Destroyed my X4S camera, broke left side arm loose from AC. Damage wasn't real bad other than a very hard landing with Landing gear up.

Filed police report but don't expect much out of it. Just wish the Feds would come and handle the case and get this guy. He denied it to me but then said he hates those "****" things.

I'm very sad and depressed, but very mad as well.
18e1b5ef0964ab264e4aacd1ab9e44a3.jpg
2d8c8493331782e664d415510724fd44.jpg
e701c6fa6500b440a33a514ef672ee2c.jpg
Shouldn't be a problem. Your drone insurance policy will cover it!
You'll have a replacement shortly

You may have to goad the local authorities into doing their job.

If forensics determine the shot could have only come from one property, then, at the least, in a civil matter, the property owner should bear culpable liability.

Buona Fortuna, and keep us posted.

That's horrible, brother. According to my gun-savvy friends, discharging a firearm within city limits is against the law. I'm in N.M. Not sure about where you live.

In July of last year was taking some photos of a construction project for the construction company. I was flying an automated POI flight, while snapping photos manually (this process is now fully automated, but wasn't back then). I had just finished when this guy and he wife roll up in a pickup truck. He says, "What you're doing is illegal. And if I see that drone over my house again, I'm going to shoot it down." I explained to him why I was there, that my flight was perfectly legal, and that I had zero interest in his property. I offered to show him my flight path log file, which showed that my bird barely nicked the corner of his property, but also showed the bird facing AWAY from his property. I also offered to show him the photos I had taken to assure him I wasn't photographing his house. His typical knee-jerk response, "I don't care. If I see it over my property again, I'm shooting it down." I said, "Okay." I whipped out my cell phone, called 911, and called for a unit to come out. The guy took off. Once the cop arrived, I told him what I was doing and what the other guy had said. The cop said, "You're not doing anything illegal here." I gave him the make and model of the truck. And, unfortunately, apparently my GF had copied the license plate number incorrectly. The cop offered to stick around while I finished up, but unfortunately it had started raining. I asked him, "If I come back tomorrow, can I call a unit out to make sure I don't get any trouble." He asked, "For how long?" I said, "30 minutes." He said, "No problem."

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on one's perspective), the photos I had taken that day were good enough to create a point cloud, so I didn't have to go back.

I guess the point of all this is that some people are idiots and are just going to want to shoot our drones down regardless of how nice or in-the-right we are. The other point worth mentioning, is the FAA kind of shot themselves in the foot by making us register our drones. Because now our drones are entitled to all the same protections as full scale aviation. So this isn't a matter of simply "shooting down a toy." This is a matter of shooting down an FAA-registered vehicle, which should be a BIG F***ING DEAL.

So, yeah...talk to FSDO. Don't let this ******* get away with:

1) Shooting down an FAA-registered vehicle
2) Discharging a firearm within city limits

CLEARLY, discharging a firearm into the air is 1000x more dangerous than your drone will ever be.

Good luck!

Reactions: droneseyeview
That's horrible, brother. According to my gun-savvy friends, discharging a firearm within city limits is against the law. I'm in N.M. Not sure about where you live.

In July of last year was taking some photos of a construction project for the construction company. I was flying an automated POI flight, while snapping photos manually (this process is now fully automated, but wasn't back then). I had just finished when this guy and he wife roll up in a pickup truck. He says, "What you're doing is illegal. And if I see that drone over my house again, I'm going to shoot it down." I explained to him why I was there, that my flight was perfectly legal, and that I had zero interest in his property. I offered to show him my flight path log file, which showed that my bird barely nicked the corner of his property, but also showed the bird facing AWAY from his property. I also offered to show him the photos I had taken to assure him I wasn't photographing his house. His typical knee-jerk response, "I don't care. If I see it over my property again, I'm shooting it down." I said, "Okay." I whipped out my cell phone, called 911, and called for a unit to come out. The guy took off. Once the cop arrived, I told him what I was doing and what the other guy had said. The cop said, "You're not doing anything illegal here." I gave him the make and model of the truck. And, unfortunately, apparently my GF had copied the license plate number incorrectly. The cop offered to stick around while I finished up, but unfortunately it had started raining. I asked him, "If I come back tomorrow, can I call a unit out to make sure I don't get any trouble." He asked, "For how long?" I said, "30 minutes." He said, "No problem."

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on one's perspective), the photos I had taken that day were good enough to create a point cloud, so I didn't have to go back.

I guess the point of all this is that some people are idiots and are just going to want to shoot our drones down regardless of how nice or in-the-right we are. The other point worth mentioning, is the FAA kind of shot themselves in the foot by making us register our drones. Because now our drones are entitled to all the same protections as full scale aviation. So this isn't a matter of simply "shooting down a toy." This is a matter of shooting down an FAA-registered vehicle, which should be a BIG F***ING DEAL.

So, yeah...talk to FSDO. Don't let this ******* get away with:

1) Shooting down an FAA-registered vehicle
2) Discharging a firearm within city limits

CLEARLY, discharging a firearm into the air is 1000x more dangerous than your drone will ever be.

Good luck!

I don't live in the city limits. But I do live in a residential area. Unfortunately, shooting guns is the norm out here, just in 2 years of drone flying never had anyone shoot at me.

I agree with the post above, couldn't you check your flight log the second before the inspire got shot, look at the trajectory though the inspire and do some rough math? realistically its just make a really big triangle. Should give you a rough area of where the bullet came from...

You have altitude, the inspire's heading, and the angle where the bullet hit the drone. I would be glad to help if needed :) I want this idiot to buy you a new inspire. With an X5S this time! XD

Help with the math.

Angle of entry is 53 degrees.

I was at 357'

24bb755e091acdd676aa6bac092958e4.png
6ef7e24a8003ee683a9a53de6561b6eb.jpg
f187fa414b8b7a478200b35fd2f98c25.jpg
IMG_6662.JPG

Filing a Police report, and actively walking into the Police station steaming mad demanding an investigation (are 2 different things imo !!!).

I guaranfukingteeU that if someone shot down my drone down, the locol cops would find out who the hell did it, and put them through the ringer !!!

You don't just go around willingly and damage someone else's property, its NOT OK anywhere !!!
(and then to use a firearm to shoot at it, C'mon man, any police chief would be livid !!!)

Say the paparazzi was filming you on the street, and you grab his $8k camera and slam it down on the street, or bash it with a night stick. You can't do that, it is illegal - period

Say you parked your car on the street, but you went over the curb and 2 of your tires are sitting on his lawn, sinking in the mud, ruining this guys new grass seedlings. Just because he's pissed, does mean it's ok for him to bash your car with a ball bat, or worse yet, pull out a .22 and start shooting at it.

I'm sure if the OP actually tried to contact someone in charge, they would go pick this guy up.
Shooting at OPs drone, balloon, Kite, etc is not ok, especially over a Church!, (that alone probably brings its own separate charge).

Lastly, there is no flippin way I would ever let this guy get away with shooting down my Inspire, NEVER !!

I'm working diligently to get someone to do something to this guy. And your point about going over the curb...he would be in violation anyway because the city or state owns right of way on both sides of the road, so we don't actually own right up to the road.

Just talked to a cop friend that has been an investigator for years and says to contact my DA and get them involved. And also contact the FBI.

Well guys I was shot down tonight. Had been flying about 10-15 minutes was over a church that's across from me (about 500 ft from where I was standing) and I was hovering at 352 feet when I here a small caliber gun shot and then my bird spinning out of control. He clipped the rear motor on the left side of the bird and it spun to the ground. Destroyed my X4S camera, broke left side arm loose from AC. Damage wasn't real bad other than a very hard landing with Landing gear up.

Filed police report but don't expect much out of it. Just wish the Feds would come and handle the case and get this guy. He denied it to me but then said he hates those "****" things.

I'm very sad and depressed, but very mad as well.
18e1b5ef0964ab264e4aacd1ab9e44a3.jpg
2d8c8493331782e664d415510724fd44.jpg
e701c6fa6500b440a33a514ef672ee2c.jpg
I have a question were you flying at night.

Help with the math.

Angle of entry is 53 degrees.

I was at 357'

24bb755e091acdd676aa6bac092958e4.png
6ef7e24a8003ee683a9a53de6561b6eb.jpg
f187fa414b8b7a478200b35fd2f98c25.jpg
View attachment 13299

Based on the pictures and your earlier statement that it was the left rear motor that was hit, the entry angle would indicate that the shot originated in front of and to the left of the AC.
Assuming the angle of entry you quote is the angle from vertical, then with a height of 357', the horizontal distance is calculated as height * tan(angle of entry) = 473.75'
From the second picture posted, the horizontal entry angle appears to be roughly the same. Entering these figures with google maps, gives an approximate origin for the shot as:-

ShotOrigin.jpg

Based on the pictures and your earlier statement that it was the left rear motor that was hit, the entry angle would indicate that the shot originated in front of and to the left of the AC.
Assuming the angle of entry you quote is the angle from vertical, then with a height of 357', the horizontal distance is calculated as height * tan(angle of entry) = 473.75'
From the second picture posted, the horizontal entry angle appears to be roughly the same. Entering these figures with google maps, gives an approximate origin for the shot as:-

View attachment 13301

Just what I thought, the shooter was on the grassy knoll. We have some pretty smart people here.

View attachment 13301

Well I like what you're saying. But the shot didn't come that far. I'm thinking it came from the White House where you have it makes is family property

Well I like what you're saying. But the shot didn't come that far. I'm thinking it came from the White House where you have it makes is family property
In order to have come from that house, the entry angle would need to have been just under 30 degrees. There is one factor not previously considered, which could account for the difference in angle - wind.
Having looked at weather data for your area on that day, there were 8mph WSW winds, with no indication of max gust speed. As you were hovering, the AC would be pitched forward to counter the wind, which could alter the angle of entry sufficiently to the observed 53 degrees. Are you able to get the .DAT files, which might indicate the orientation?

Reactions: Scoobywrx05
In order to have come from that house, the entry angle would need to have been just under 30 degrees. There is one factor not previously considered, which could account for the difference in angle - wind.
Having looked at weather data for your area on that day, there were 8mph WSW winds, with no indication of max gust speed. As you were hovering, the AC would be pitched forward to counter the wind, which could alter the angle of entry sufficiently to the observed 53 degrees. Are you able to get the .DAT files, which might indicate the orientation?

NTM, even in Dead Calm the aircraft does not stand tabletop still and minor deflections of pitch and roll also have to be factored into the equation.

But where you have shot origin, that would have taken it to a 1,000 ft or more shot.

Attached is the last known heading. Weather, etc.
b9f3555d1152670d59a7816bdb686ffd.png
4498f8db588ece33ac1690941bc6414f.png
0c00bd7304fcb3e4a70ebe6fc44858f3.png
82ded4729333a8d9ec96ff155abfa91b.png
2b7070c4b829b3650ec590b21a15cd07.png
3ac2703614e25d0ebbf1bd91f8da7144.png
4f27b3a702259b3f7456c97a672669c5.png
3cc895698decbbae796dadfc9ef98f4c.png

Does this information help any?

I have a question were you flying at night.

Was flying at sunset, dusk. Had my lumi cubes on just to try them out which helps keeping an eye on the drone much easier.

Shot with flashlight was when the police finally arrived, it was after dark.

Do not mess with the local police force they are usually covered up with "other" stuff.

Call the state patrol, they will do an investigation.

In addition you need to notify the local FBI and the FAA asking both for a full investigation into everything.

The dweeb who shot your bird created a very dangerous situation and needs to be stopped.

If you were within the law with your flight they will follow up on this.

If you were not they will still follow up on this.

The being within the law on your part is very important.

It is also helpful to call your local TV stations and newspapers.

Be prepared to spin this in a positive direction for Drones as most TV stations look for the negative in this.

You can catch this guy and use this as a positive message for change.

Be prepared for a possible battle but if you are within the bounds of the law it will be worth it.

I would even setup a fund me page for any legal costs I will contribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry