Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Intelligent Navigation Modes

So I have the new firmware installed without a hitch and the DJI GO App also did its update and I can not find anywhere in the app that has any of these icons shown in the overview. Can anyone clue me in to what I am missing?

The Era of Intelligent Flight is Now | DJI
To access the Intelligent Navigation modes you need to first be in the air and then switch the P-A-F switch to F. A new pop up selection dialog with appear. Note: the Follow Me mode will not work on the Inspire 1 (and I hope it never does because it is too dangerous).

Okay, well maybe he should have asked it another way...

Where did Scottflieger get the info he posted from? Where did he read it from. This existing manual?
No he didn't read a manual. He learned it by flying the software and is trying to guide users here with that knowledge.

PS: It is the Scottish 'Scot' not the american misspelling 'Scott'.

I have repeated this description here for those users who use the search option properly.

There is currently no user manual for the new Intelligent Navigation (NI) modes. DJI say follow the onscreen instructions, but to help you:

Access the IN modes by first taking off and being in the air. Then switch the P-A-F switch to F. This will display a IN selection dialog.

POI: Select Point of Interest (POI) mode. Fly the aircraft over the POI at a safe height to designate your subject. Move away to the orbit radius you want and adjust you height and camera viewpoint. Select the orbit speed (2-4m/s in best) and then tap Apply. Confirm the RTH safety height (clear of the height of your POI) and off you go.

Waypoints: Select Waypoints (WP) mode. Fly to your first waypoint and set the height and direction. Tap Insert WP or press the RC C1 button. Fly to the next point and so on until you have plotted the route you wish to fly. Tap done. You can tab the tiny little star to add the route to favourites to repeat it as many times as you wish. The last 3 routes are autosaved. You have a couple of choices on which way the aircraft will point, what it does at the end (hover or RTH) and the speed (max 5 m/s). Tap Apply and set the RTH safe height. Then off it goes.

Course Lock: The Course Lock (CL) sets the stick inputs relative to the direction the aircraft is pointing when the Apply is pressed. Ensure the aircraft is turned to point the way you want to fly.

Home Lock: The Home Lock (HL) uses the stick inputs in relation to the Home Point (HP). Pulling the right stick down moves the aircraft towards the HP, and pushing it away moves the aircraft away from the HP. Similarly, the left and right stick inputs moves the aircraft left and right from the perspective of the HP. The aircraft must be at least 5m from the HP before this mode can be activated. Note: the left/right movements will not maintain a constant distance from the HP, it flies a curving tangent.

The Follow Me mode is not available to Inspire 1 users.

Last edited:
I have repeated this description here for those users who use the search option properly.

There is currently no user manual for the new Intelligent Navigation (NI) modes. DJI say follow the onscreen instructions, but to help you:

Access the IN modes by first taking off and being in the air. Then switch the P-A-F switch to F. This will display a IN selection dialog.

POI: Select Point of Interest (POI) mode. Fly the aircraft over the POI at a safe height to designate your subject. Move away to the orbit radius you want and adjust you height and camera viewpoint. Select the orbit speed (2-4m/s in best) and then tap Apply. Confirm the RTH safety height (clear of the height of your POI) and off you go.

Waypoints: Select Waypoints (WP) mode. Fly to your first waypoint and set the height and direction. Tap Insert WP or press the RC C1 button. Fly to the next point and so on until you have plotted the route you wish to fly. Tap done. You can tab the tiny little star to add the route to favourites to repeat it as many times as you wish. The last 3 routes are autosaved. You have a couple of choices on which way the aircraft will point, what it does at the end (hover or RTH) and the speed (max 5 m/s). Tap Apply and set the RTH safe height. Then off it goes.

Course Lock: The Course Lock (CL) sets the stick inputs relative to the direction the aircraft is pointing when the Apply is pressed. Ensure the aircraft is turned to point the way you want to fly.

Home Lock: The Home Lock (HL) uses the stick inputs in relation to the Home Point (HP). Pulling the right stick down moves the aircraft towards the HP, and pushing it away moves the aircraft away from the HP. Similarly, the left and right stick inputs moves the aircraft left and right from the perspective of the HP. The aircraft must be at least 5m from the HP before this mode can be activated. Note: the left/right movements will not maintain a constant distance from the HP, it flies a curving tangent.

Very good idea to use the simulator first. It will give you a chance to concentrate on the process without having to fly the aircraft.

In my experience, the new firmware update and App additions work as advertised. Follow Me mode will be a welcome addition.

Thanks...this helps a lot!

I am really amazed that a billion dollar company cannot produce a simple instructional video telling us how this stuff works and give us some of their recommendations on how to fully utilize this software. No manual. Just rely on users who can give good information and can also give info that is not accurate. A basic video tutorial costs peanuts to produce. I think it's really great that this Intelligent Navigation system has been added...but I think it's really irresponsible to not provide decent instruction...maybe it's the language thing, but relying on your customers to provide adequate instruction is pretty bush-league, in my view.

Reactions: RichardB
I am really amazed that a billion dollar company cannot produce a simple instructional video telling us how this stuff works and give us some of their recommendations on how to fully utilize this software. No manual. Just rely on users who can give good information and can also give info that is not accurate. A basic video tutorial costs peanuts to produce. I think it's really great that this Intelligent Navigation system has been added...but I think it's really irresponsible to not provide decent instruction...maybe it's the language thing, but relying on your customers to provide adequate instruction is pretty bush-league, in my view.

They will, but this is typical DJI. They get pushed to make an option, THEN release manual at a later date. It's called growing pains. They've been like this from Phantom1 days. I was all over their case when they released Phantom 1 then Phantom 2. A handful of us built Phantom 1.5s (Phantom1 reshelled to fit Phantom2 batteries. I flew a Phantom 1.5 on a 4S battery for 38 mins (which DJI said couldn't be done) now we're using 6S batteries in Inspire... they're learning at OUR speed.

Reactions: RichardB
this is great! but I have 2 questions ok 3! do you keep the RC in F mode to set up the point of interest and waypoint features? do you go back to P mode to regain GPS? or do you continue to use F mode until your finished using the features, and then go to GPS? last question I forgot where the simulator is can someone help? (I'm old and retired and suffer from "CRS")
thanks in advance

this is great! but I have 2 questions ok 3! do you keep the RC in F mode to set up the point of interest and waypoint features? do you go back to P mode to regain GPS? or do you continue to use F mode until your finished using the features, and then go to GPS? last question I forgot where the simulator is can someone help? (I'm old and retired and suffer from "CRS")
thanks in advance
The P-A-F switch needs to remain in the F position to access and operate the IN modes. Switching to ATTI or P-GPS will cancel the current IN mode. If you select F and don't select an IN mode, you get F-GPS which is P-GPS with a selection dialog filling the app screen. The simulator has all the IN functions and is accessed by tapping the question mark (?) at the top right of the GO app home screen.

Reactions: STClassic01

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters