Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

iPad Mini 4

Reaction score
Currently I use an iPad Mini 2 (128G WiFi only) with my I1. I am thinking about upgrading to the Mini 4 with the same specs and passing the Mini 2 down the food chain to some hungry relatives. Has anyone taking the plunge yet? And, if so, is the "non-reflective" screen any better and does iOS 9 help reduce lag? Many thanks in anticipation.

Currently I use an iPad Mini 2 (128G WiFi only) with my I1. I am thinking about upgrading to the Mini 4 with the same specs and passing the Mini 2 down the food chain to some hungry relatives. Has anyone taking the plunge yet? And, if so, is the "non-reflective" screen any better and does iOS 9 help reduce lag? Many thanks in anticipation.
i would like to know this also...

What's the processor in the mini 4?
I use an Air 2, which is inconveniently large, but as I understand it, it has the better processor than the mini did when I bought.

Just not sure on the mini 4.

Reactions: richlee
Coming from an Air2 I would say if you can afford the M4 then...

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

What's the processor in the mini 4?
I use an Air 2, which is inconveniently large, but as I understand it, it has the better processor than the mini did when I bought.

Just not sure on the mini 4.

According to Apple's website, there is very little difference between the Air 2 and Mini 4 in specs. There is a difference in processors as follows:

Air 2
A8X second-generation chip with 64-bit architecture
CPU: 1.4x faster
Graphics: 2.5x faster (compared to A7)

Whereas the Mini 4 is:
A8 second-generation chip with 64-bit architecture
CPU: 1.3x faster
Graphics: 1.6x faster (compared to A7)

(Source iPad - Compare Models - Apple (AU))

I can't see myself getting an Air 2 because of the size and weight. I am still tempted to get the Mini 4 as it appears better than my Mini 2 with the A8 chip and supposedly "non reflective" screen. In Australia there is still a few days wait before availability.

I'd love to go with the mini, it's a great compromise size. There was no mini 4 when I was buying my Inspire, so I had to go the Air2.

It fits where the manuals were in the I1 case (with minor mods to the foam) so carrying it's no problem.

It has a hoodivision sunshield, so glare isn't a problem, and I love the big screen for my poor eyesight.

But graphics capability was discussed here at one stage as being really important for HD video feed, and the weaker the chip the hotter the device gets, so that convinced me to go with a naked air 2 without a case or other heat retainer, and the mini 3 wasn't going to cut it. Even the 4 has lower graphics, albeit a minor difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gary E
Interestingly, Apple have now dropped the iPad Mini 3 from its range while retaining the Mini 2 alongside the Mini 4. When I was looking for a second iPad to my iPad Air 2 for the 2nd RC I went for the Mini 2 because the Mini 3 offer no advantages and cost more. I do prefer the larger iPad Air 2 over the Mini 2 for flying - probably due to my deteriorating eyesight.

Reactions: Gary E and Ezookiel
Interestingly, Apple have now dropped the iPad Mini 3 from its range while retaining the Mini 2 alongside the Mini 4. When I was looking for a second iPad to my iPad Air 2 for the 2nd RC I went for the Mini 2 because the Mini 3 offer no advantages and cost more. I do prefer the larger iPad Air 2 over the Mini 2 for flying - probably due to my deteriorating eyesight.
apple discovered that too many choices confused and alienated their user base, lol! Im actually surprised they have as many choices as they do to be honest, they have pretty much always been a one trick pony in the past. Making improvements since Jobs is gone it seems.

Reactions: Ezookiel
Okay I have the Mini 4 on order and due any day to replace the mini 2 BUT I may be cancelling as the extra or less than extra umphh is not as promised!!

Benchmarks Reveal iPad Mini 4 Has 1.5GHz Apple A8 Processor with 2GB of RAM [Chart]
Benchmarks Reveal iPad Mini 4 Has 1.5GHz Apple A8 Processor with 2GB of RAM [Chart]

The above highlights this but even more so in new upgrades with specifically Air 2 only features ie. Split views iOS 9 etc.

Hope this helps.

Okay I have the Mini 4 on order and due any day to replace the mini 2 BUT I may be cancelling as the extra or less than extra umphh is not as promised!!

The above highlights this but even more so in new upgrades with specifically Air 2 only features ie. Split views iOS 9 etc.

Hope this helps.

Since I started this thread I have become aware of the Autopilot App, which has been extensively beta tested by many members of this forum. Based on their comments and a look at the features of the App, it is something I am intending to get. I note that according to Autopilot's Web site the Mini 2 doesn't work with the App and the Inspire 1 (see System Requirements at the bottom of the page).

Autopilot - Autoflight Logic

This makes me think the Mini 4 is now the preferred choice.

True, I use Autopilot and you are limited due to the lack of the gps with certain iPads. Follow me options are a little awkward and the lack of a barometer makes altitude a little inaccurate.

Hope this helps.

I hope you order the iPad Mini 4 SIM version with built-in GPS.

I hope you order the iPad Mini 4 SIM version with built-in GPS.
Thanks for the advice. After the above post by UAV Man it got me thinking whether I needed the SIM version and it appears I do. I presume GPS is then "standard".

Thanks for the advice. After the above post by UAV Man it got me thinking whether I needed the SIM version and it appears I do. I presume GPS is then "standard".
The SIM version of Apple's iPads gives you the built-in GPS. You only need to insert a SIM card (and pay) if you need to download maps in the field or intend to stream video.

Thanks for your help in my consideration of whether to upgrade to the iPad Mini 4.

At present I use a Mini 2 without a SIM card with the I1. I try to cache maps when I have WiFi access or use my iPhone 5S as a personal hot spot.

I do not, as yet, fully appreciate the Autopilot App's requirements for the various functions but understand that the barometer in the Mini 4 helps with things like follow me. If the Mini 4 has cache the relevant map or has internet connectivity through the iPhone, do all the functions work just as well as if the Mini 4 had a SIM card? Again thanks for your assistance.

Reactions: PB30X
Thanks for your help in my consideration of whether to upgrade to the iPad Mini 4.

At present I use a Mini 2 without a SIM card with the I1. I try to cache maps when I have WiFi access or use my iPhone 5S as a personal hot spot.

I do not, as yet, fully appreciate the Autopilot App's requirements for the various functions but understand that the barometer in the Mini 4 helps with things like follow me. If the Mini 4 has cache the relevant map or has internet connectivity through the iPhone, do all the functions work just as well as if the Mini 4 had a SIM card? Again thanks for your assistance.

Will let you know when it gets here Friday! I also use my iPhone 6 as A Hotspot. I have always done so with the iPad 2 Air, M2 and M3 No problems. Can't elaborate on autopilot or the multi function Waypoints etc. mode yet, but maps(cache maps) I had No problems with[emoji6]

Some mindset and new learning skills have to be mastered with autopilot lol. Haven't really had the time to test and play[emoji6]

Given that an HD feed is graphics intensive and will stress the lower processors more than it will the better processor; and given that an app crash whilst you're dependant on the video feed for accurate orientation can leave you having to rely on RTH to get back safely; then the comment below is all I need to be happy that I went Air2. It's taken from the article in the link a couple of posts up.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442458889.313244.jpg

The Air2 isn't very heavy, the support harness takes the majority of the weight, it fits in the I1 case with barely any modification, and the larger screen is a definite extra bonus. Wins all round unless you specifically need the smaller size.

Reactions: Gary E
I have both the iPad mini 3 which I use all the time and bought it for the inspire and the air 2, both are fantastic and I've had no problems with my mini 3. These will be going cheap now:(

I just flew 4 batteries back to back with the new MIni 4... thing is perfect!

No drop,artifact, or anything. It was a little warm but with almost an hour of being on + the hot South Texas heat, can't blame it!

Its the perfect size for me... I also have an Air 2 and it just to dam big for me! Mini 4 is the perfect form factor for what I do.

Highly recommend!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth