Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

ipad overheating

Reaction score
Just a note for others,

I was flying today, and amoungst other nearly fatal problems, my ipad overheated.

Just as I was landing I guess, becasue after touch down, i looked down to turn off recording, and there was a symbol of a thermometer and text saying it had to cool down before I could continue using it.

that could have been VERY bad given where I was flying today..

I may have to mount some heat sinks on the back of the ipad and some fans, Because its going to get at elast 5 - 10 degrees hotter yet as the summer arrives....

Bad times

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me last Sunday. I was flying around , the iPad was feeling really warm, then it got to hot then a message displayed saying that the iPad won't turn on until it's cool..... I had my inspire in line of site and landed it right away. I'm very skeptical that it was the sun. Ive used an iPad Air 2 many times outside in the sun without issue. This happened twice that day. The second time around I closed out of all the apps then power cycled the iPad.

The Editor

Staff member
Reaction score
It
Same thing happened to me last Sunday. I was flying around , the iPad was feeling really warm, then it got to hot then a message displayed saying that the iPad won't turn on until it's cool..... I had my inspire in line of site and landed it right away. I'm very skeptical that it was the sun. Ive used an iPad Air 2 many times outside in the sun without issue. This happened twice that day. The second time around I closed out of all the apps then power cycled the iPad.
Is a combination of the ambient air temperature, the sun and the fact the DJI pilot app pushes the processor to the limit,

Reactions: jon b
Reaction score
Yep... My Ipad Air2 pulled this stunt today after about 60 mins of back to back flights in humid 85 deg F no wind conditions... :confused:

Was at 400 ft up and about 1/4 mile away at the time... Was easily line of sight...
Had just run off North about a mile away however just before this... thank goodness it waited till I was almost back... :cool:

Anyway...
Stopped the bird and stared at my about to shut down on overtemp Ipad... :oops:
Looked up at my now hovering bird off in the distance... :rolleyes:
Confirmed I still had control... (rotated heading)
Decided screw it and punched RTH on the controller... (was thinking - what was my battery % at when it went dark)
1/2 way back I decided it was about 50% last glance... so likely near 40% by time I get it down... good call..
I helped it find the center of landing pad... I use RTH about 1/2 the time anyway...
(Stop the decent with some up stick and drift it to center of a plywood pad before easing it down)

So... Not a huge deal... :cool:
But not a good thing to see in the heat... not real happy with this "new" issue... :(
Looks like I gotta give the Ipad a rest between flights... :p
No more quick swap I1 batts and relaunch (after rechecking GPS and sensor numbers)

Last edited:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareben