Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

iPad Pro WiFi or Cellular with Inspire 2

Reaction score
I was planning on purchasing an iPad Pro 10.5" for use with my Inspire 2 for commercial purposes.

My question is, should I purchase the cellular version or the WiFi version and tether to my iPhone X?

Also storage wise, 64GB/256GB?

TIA,
Will

I was planning on purchasing an iPad Pro 10.5" for use with my Inspire 2 for commercial purposes.

My question is, should I purchase the cellular version or the WiFi version and tether to my iPhone X?

TIA,
Will
Only the cellular version has GPS; I got the 256GB so I could copy vids and images to the pad in the field and view them.

Reactions: Will18
Only the cellular version has GPS; I got the 256GB so I could copy vids and images to the pad in the field and view them.
Thanks roblevine.

You can get GPS through tethering to your phone as well. What are the benefits of a cellular iPad Pro? Less interference?

I don't think you can get GPS when you tether through anything, the Ipad simply does not have the hardware (chip) fitted plain and simple, it will lock onto a general location using Wifi same as a macbook does and as to your question Re Cellular and interference it becomes a mute point if you want gps, although that being said you don't really need GPS but the cellular gig is an advantage if you are out in the field and it asks for an update of firmware etc ( oh I hate that ! ) lol although you probably have a good data allowance on the Iphone X - So in summary - its not necessary to have wifi & cell but I would get both for the added benefits.

another thought why the 10.5? why not the 9.7 128gb its really not that much difference not as bulky and a lot more reasonable cost wise

I don't think you can get GPS when you tether through anything, the Ipad simply does not have the hardware (chip) fitted plain and simple, it will lock onto a general location using Wifi same as a macbook does and as to your question Re Cellular and interference it becomes a mute point if you want gps, although that being said you don't really need GPS but the cellular gig is an advantage if you are out in the field and it asks for an update of firmware etc ( oh I hate that ! ) lol although you probably have a good data allowance on the Iphone X - So in summary - its not necessary to have wifi & cell but I would get both for the added benefits
I believe you need GPS - either in the tablet or through the DJI GPS accessory to do things like set the homepoint at the RC.

Reactions: DavidK
I believe you need GPS - either in the tablet or through the DJI GPS accessory to do things like set the homepoint at the RC.
Ahh see you learn something new every day! I don't own an Inspire 2 so didn't realise that good old lets screw/gough every last red cent out of you we can round eye devils and make you buy an external add on GPS for your highly priced aerial equipment at 30 to 40 bucks or have GPS in your tablet.

Although that said you can still set a homepoint without GPS just not a "Dynamic home point" you want to move after you take off ( it will go back to where you took off from originally)

So up date either get Cellular in your Ipad or cheaper way buy the DJI external GPS if you think youll need dynamic home points

Last edited:

TIA,
Will
Cellular iPads have the GPS Receiver, wireless only iPads do not have GPS receiver. The DJI drone (any model) has a GPS Receiver and does not require the “screen” device to supply the GPS. It can fly and know it’s home point via the drone gps and referencing the starting location of RC coordinates for RTH mode. The DJI drone’s GPS is critical to stability and most flight modes... if not GPS it’s called Atti Mode, to understand the difference, your manual or google are good sources.

Although to have the “maps” displayed on device screen, requires more than GPS for location; either a data connection by WiFi or Cellular provide data source or the maps need to be pre-loaded into device(iPad, phone, android tablet, etc)... common for remote locations without cellular service. If planing to hotspot / teather to your cellular phone, the phone can provide the “data” for the maps and GPS coordinate data.

Pick your display controller for the processing power needed to run your flight control app. If you intend purchasing & using map, 3D grid, or type of way point or pattern grid style autonomous flying programs, you’ll want the iPad Pro’s faster processor and faster graphics chipset. If sticking with photo shots and freehand video, processing power not as critical. The onboard storage ram is your own flavor basically above 128gb for Pro, 64gb for standard to hold the Apps. The video files on the controller are small format, the sd card contains the larger video files.

Become familiar with your gear, this site is a good source but also review your documentation. Gain an understanding of the circuitry and dynamics of the package to fully enjoy & know the limitations.

WI-FI and cellular! Cellular is needed (even if not activated) in order for drone to find you location if your on the move while shooting.
If cellular is not activated... cellular is useless. Although not needed for RC operations other than data source. The cellular model includes GPS receiver, and that is always useable & free via satellites.

TIA,
Will
The only difference between cellular and wifi is with cellular you will have maps where you are and with wifi only all you do is while you have wifi you just load the area where you are going to fly on maps then it is in your cache, hope this helps.

The only difference between cellular and wifi is with cellular you will have maps where you are and with wifi only all you do is while you have wifi you just load the area where you are going to fly on maps then it is in your cache, hope this helps.
You also dont have GPS with just wifi

I know just a little about iPads and I recently bought the basic 9.7". I'm assuming the "cellular" model is the same device with the addition of CDMA or GSM hardware for use with your mobile carrier. So you'll be paying a fee for mobile data.

I had to take a peek at my "non-cellular" model to determine if it was GPS capable. It appears to have GPS without the use of Wi-Fi. This is what I'd assumed initially. It is clearly following my path and direction with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth disabled. This may be a "compass" related hardware but I am recieving the GPS (Or what appears to be) icon.

The drone remote requests GPS/Location Services to be on when connected to a tablet when this service is disabled. From what I'd noticed, the drone uses the remote/RTH point as a means to return to you for any reason. The drone itself has the capability to track satellite coordinates very well from many satellites. I was connected to 17 the other day. And I do believe internet data is not a requirement at any time during flight. Especially for those that fly in rural areas to shoot footage.

On a side note: I'd be disappointed if this expensive tablet didn't have GPS hardware that a $50 Chinese Android tablet has.

Last edited:
I know just a little about iPads and I recently bought the basic 9.7". I'm assuming the "cellular" model is the same device with the addition of CDMA or GSM hardware for use with your mobile carrier. So you'll be paying a fee for mobile data.

I had to take a peek at my "non-cellular" model to determine if it was GPS capable. It appears to have GPS without the use of Wi-Fi. This is what I'd assumed initially. It is clearly following my path and direction with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth disabled. This may be a "compass" related hardware but I am recieving the GPS (Or what appears to be) icon.

The drone remote requests GPS/Location Services to be on when connected to a tablet when this service is disabled. From what I'd noticed, the drone uses the remote/RTH point as a means to return to you for any reason. The drone itself has the capability to track satellite coordinates very well from many satellites. I was connected to 17 the other day. And I do believe internet data is not a requirement at any time during flight. Especially for those that fly in rural areas to shoot footage.

On a side note: I'd be disappointed if this expensive tablet didn't have GPS hardware that a $50 Chinese Android tablet has.
Welcome to Apple firstly with the RTH amd your drone you don’t need cellular and GPS for it to work your correct but don’t move away because it can’t find you as there is nothing in the tablet/remote to send a GPS position. To the drone. Next your tablet will get positions from your wifi network very much like your laptop it can triangulate its position or if your tethered to your phone same deal, but definitely no GPS in the non cellular as the GPS chipset is inbuilt in the cellular hardware with the IPad sorry, this is also why DJI sell a 40$ add on GPS for the controller so that another way around it

If your Apple tablet does not have cellular you do NOT have GPS - that simple. The tablet does try to find out where it is using other methods, but it's not GPS. BTW - I have my phone service through Google Project Fi - you should look it up. They sent me a data only SIM for my new iPad Pro 10.5" at no cost. The only cost associated is with Cellular data - just goes onto my regular plan.

You are correct. Well then, that's a disappointment. It looks like the GPS IS integrated in to the mobile transmitter/reciever hardware. I was completely unaware that it did not include GPS. This should be a standard feature for a device that costs a premium over an Android tablet. But, I didn't have much luck with DJI Go working on Android. So I'm stuck with the iPad to fly properly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips