Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Issue connecting I1 RC with 2021 iPad Pro

Reaction score
Just took delivery of the brand new iPad Pro (2021)...lovely, but it won't connect to my I1 or P4 RCs.

I tried it with the Mavic Pro and the connection works, so it's NOT a bad cable issue. I also tried a number of different USB-A to USB-C cables. No luck with any of them. The RCs are just not showing up. I am sure it's some sort of compatibility issue between the brand new port on the iPad Pro (Thunderbolt 3/USB 4, but has the same form factor as USB-C and is generally compatible with USB-C) and the old USB-2(?) ports on the RCs.

Are there any other lucky/unlucky iPadPro owners out there who have figured out a solution, or any suggestions from anyone?

Thanks.

Reactions: richarddrone
The first question is are your remotes bound to the drone correctly? Then you can diss out the iPad.

The first question is are your remotes bound to the drone correctly? Then you can diss out the iPad.
Thank you for your reply, but the connection between the RC and drone is not the issue. It works, I have flown these for years and using another device everything works perfectly.

The problem is the connection between the RCs and this brand new iPad Pro.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
I know it's only semantics, but I think you're talking about your connection between the iPad and the remote. FWIW, you don't have to be connected to the drone for the remote to connect to the iPad. That said, listing software version numbers might help as well as iOS versions for both the working and non-working iPads.

My initial advice would be to install a legacy version of the Go and Go4 Apps on your new iPad, but not sure which Go App versions are compatible with which iOS versions. In order to dive into any kind of forensics here, you're going to have to give a LOT more information.

D

Last edited:
I know it's only semantics, but I think you're talking about your connection between the iPad and the remote. FWIW, you don't have to be connected to the drone for the remote to connect to the iPad. That said, listing software version numbers might help as well as iOS versions for both the working and non-working iPads.

My initial advice would be to install a legacy version of the Go and Go4 Apps on your new iPad, but not sure which Go App versions are compatible with which iOS versions. In order to dive into any kind of forensics here, you're going to have to give a LOT more information.

D
Sorry, if I wasn't clear, but yes, it's the connection between the iPad and the Remote (I've always thought the abbreviation for it was RC = Remote Controller), and totally agree that you can connect to the Remote without connecting to, or even turning on the drone.
Both the old and the new iPad are running the most recent version of iOS (14.5.1) and have the old Go and Go4 Apps installed. As far as software is concerned, they are identical. Both the I1 and P4 are also up to the most recent software.
I am fairly certain that the culprit is the new port on the 2021 iPad Pro, but I appreciate your input and am happy to supply any additional information you think useful. Thanks.

Sorry, if I wasn't clear, but yes, it's the connection between the iPad and the Remote (I've always thought the abbreviation for it was RC = Remote Controller), and totally agree that you can connect to the Remote without connecting to, or even turning on the drone.
I was more addressing other comments. I should have been more clear on that point.

Both the old and the new iPad are running the most recent version of iOS (14.5.1) and have the old Go and Go4 Apps installed.
This is where version information is helpful. "Old" doesn't really mean anything. There are literally dozens of versions of the Go and Go4 apps.

As far as software is concerned, they are identical. Both the I1 and P4 are also up to the most recent software.
So it seems you are mixing terms here. "Software" would be the Go and Go4 app, which you already said were "old." Operating System or "iOS" is not "software." So some clarification would help - along with version numbers (got the iOS version, thanx). "Latest" doesn't mean anything, as often times the "latest software" depends on the iOS. And the "latest iOS" depends on the hardware (ipad / iPhone).

I am fairly certain that the culprit is the new port on the 2021 iPad Pro,
I concur. Based on the fact that you have the latest iOS on all your iPads leads me to believe that this may be a driver issue (or whatever Apple calls their middleware). In this case, it would be up to DJI to fix it. Normally, my primary advice would be that you contact DJI. But it has been the profound experience of everybody in this forum that DJI support is about as bad as it gets. One can all but hear a baby crying in the background from their "tech experts"....<:^/

My secondary advice would be to start rolling back iOS and software. But these objectives are not easily accomplished in the Appleverse and would probably do nothing more than render the already-partly-useless Thunderbolt port completely useless.

My tertiary advice would be to table the new, shiny iPad for now and pick up an older Gen-3 iPad Pro. At least that is what I would do.

but I appreciate your input and am happy to supply any additional information you think useful. Thanks.
I appreciate your appreciation....<:^) But I think you're spot on blaming the new Thunderbolt port. A quick search nets that you're definitely not the only person with this issue. And the harsh reality is that DJI has all but abandoned the Inspire 1, so I wouldn't hold my breath for a Go App compatibility update any time soon. I believe the P4P is still in the loop, but the P4...not sure. So the Go4 app might get some help.

I wish I had better news and/or advise.

D

So it seems you are mixing terms here. "Software" would be the Go and Go4 app, which you already said were "old." Operating System or "iOS" is not "software." So some clarification would help - along with version numbers (got the iOS version, thanx). "Latest" doesn't mean anything, as often times the "latest software" depends on the iOS. And the "latest iOS" depends on the hardware (ipad / iPhone).
Old apps, but current versions: 3.1.68 Go and 4.3.42 Go4 on both tablets, but most likely that's irrelevant in this case.

But it has been the profound experience of everybody in this forum that DJI support is about as bad as it gets. One can all but hear a baby crying in the background from their "tech experts"....<:^/
Indeed! I may have better luck reaching out to Apple, which I probably will end up doing.

My tertiary advice would be to table the new, shiny iPad for now and pick up an older Gen-3 iPad Pro. At least that is what I would do.
Yeah, not an option in this case. I have other devices I can use, but of course the new Pro has the nicest screen. Ultimately it may be time to say good bye to the I1 and P4.

Again, I was mostly just hoping that smarter than me was in the same boat and had figured it out...maybe someone eventually will.

Thanks again

Old apps, but current versions: 3.1.68 Go and 4.3.42 Go4 on both tablets, but most likely that's irrelevant in this case.

Indeed! I may have better luck reaching out to Apple, which I probably will end up doing.

Yeah, not an option in this case. I have other devices I can use, but of course the new Pro has the nicest screen. Ultimately it may be time to say good bye to the I1 and P4.

Again, I was mostly just hoping that smarter than me was in the same boat and had figured it out...maybe someone eventually will.

Thanks again
Well...I may be in that boat *someday,* but not as of this writing. I find that all the legacy stuff works great...for now....<:^/

D

I am having same exact issue and have not found solution yet. I1V2 connects to RC (green light). But when opening DJI Go app it does open, but aircraft does not connect nor communicate with app.

My iPad is a Pro 12.9" 5th gen with iOS 14.6 with Cell/Wifi.

I tried different and new USB cables to no avail.

I think I read somewhere that DJI Go app is compatible with iPad Pro up to 4th gen. Don't know if there is a fix for this.

If anyone knows please share! Thanks

The simple answer for using legacy drones is to compliment them with legacy software and hardware. My newest iPad is a 12.9" Gen 3 locked down to iOS 12.3.1. The other iPads I use are my Air Pro Gen 1 and iPad Air. They are both locked down @ iOS 11 (the latter may be locked down @ iOS 10). I'm running Go App v3.1.1 on all 3 iPads and legacy firmware on all my drones (Inspire 1, P4P and Mavic Pro). Everything works perfectly with 100% reliability, so it's all locked down (a hack for iOS, unfortunately) and will never be updated again.

As an added bonus, you'll save some money on the purchase of legacy iPads. I purchased all 3 of mine "gently used" and couldn't be happier about that decision.

As always, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Good luck.

D

Last edited:
I am having same exact issue and have not found solution yet. I1V2 connects to RC (green light). But when opening DJI Go app it does open, but aircraft does not connect nor communicate with app.

My iPad is a Pro 12.9" 5th gen with iOS 14.6 with Cell/Wifi.

I tried different and new USB cables to no avail.

I think I read somewhere that DJI Go app is compatible with iPad Pro up to 4th gen. Don't know if there is a fix for this.

If anyone knows please share! Thanks
Hey Richard,

Thanks for letting me know that you have the same problem. It confirms that this is not just something specific to my set-up.

And yes, if you or anyone else finds a solution...shy of buying an old iPad...please let me know.

I’m having the same issue have a new iPad Pro 12.9” with the M1 chip and it will not connect to my I1v2 but my iPhone 12 Pro Max works just fine, hopefully DJI addresses this issue.

7ABE153F-DC76-49EA-87F5-15078BF0B02C.jpegThe funny thing about this is that the app list the iPad as compatible but as we all can see it doesn’t work.

Attachments

• DF08FE03-6C2C-49D1-9556-34FC539CC645.jpeg
    DF08FE03-6C2C-49D1-9556-34FC539CC645.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 1
I’m having the same issue have a new iPad Pro 12.9” with the M1 chip and it will not connect to my I1v2 but my iPhone 12 Pro Max works just fine, hopefully DJI addresses this issue.
Sorry to hear that you are facing the same situation, but thanks for letting us know.

A question for you and @richarddrone , have either of you tried connecting another USB2 device to your iPad Pro. Maybe an older hard drive or camera? I am trying to exclude that the problem is an issues with the USB4 port on the iPad Pro and older USB2 devices. I doubt that that is the case, as it should be backwards compatible, but it might be good to be able to rule that out.

Any update on this issue would really like to use my iPad for my inspire??

Not from me. I did reach out to DJI directly with of course the expected results. Long, useless chat, request for logs and promise of a response that never came. But give it a shot...maybe if they hear from more people

None here. But I was thinking...how about using a lightning-to-usb c adapter and connect the iPad Pro to RC with a lightning cable?

Do I make sense here?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RuslanmuG