Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Liability Insurance is a MUST!

UAV insurance is a bit of a specialty, most underwriters (in the US) are just now getting comfortable writing coverage with personal use UAV's. The applications are very direct and complete. A bit of advice from someone how operates commercially and with a COA, You cannot get legitimate jobs without insurance, its the first thing the client asks for. As for simple private operations under the "pleasure and business" category insurance is very reasonable, (typical policy is $950 a year for 1MIL, $1300 for 2Mil and hull rates are standard at 7.5% of hull value) There are very few "A" rated underwriters that are serious about the UAV business, Global (USA) is one and for higher risk operations, USAIG is a player. On the applications you need to be pro-active about what type of use you put down, if you tell them your going to be flying over crowded weddings and filming the local carnival where there are thousands of people, you are not going to get coverage, no exceptions. The underwriters are not dumb, if you want to insure under a company name, they are going to look at your website and see all the things you have posted that you do with the UAV's. No one likes to pay insurance, but every time an uninsured incident happens the industry is looked at that much harder and we dont need anymore negative publicity. Our company operates some high dollar UAV's , (Service Drones, S1000's, Skyjib's, and we have 6 inspires) our commercial policy is obviously much more $$ than the above rates, but for the majority of the forum participants, the insurance is reasonable. We use Highlands Aviation for all our coverage, they shop the market and come up with the best solution for the user. Not only are they a good Broker/Agency, they are also UAV pilots, Manned aircraft Pilots and have years of experience. www.highlandinsagcy.com . Highland Aviation is the company that is responsible for pioneering the program through Global to allow UAV users that do not have an FAA pilots license to even be able to get insurance and they fought that battle using their own resources.
In the case of UAV's , insurance is not for the owner who is flying the machine, its for the person or persons that are innocent and get damaged or hurt.

UAV insurance is a bit of a specialty, most underwriters (in the US) are just now getting comfortable writing coverage with personal use UAV's. The applications are very direct and complete. A bit of advice from someone how operates commercially and with a COA, You cannot get legitimate jobs without insurance, its the first thing the client asks for. As for simple private operations under the "pleasure and business" category insurance is very reasonable, (typical policy is $950 a year for 1MIL, $1300 for 2Mil and hull rates are standard at 7.5% of hull value) There are very few "A" rated underwriters that are serious about the UAV business, Global (USA) is one and for higher risk operations, USAIG is a player. On the applications you need to be pro-active about what type of use you put down, if you tell them your going to be flying over crowded weddings and filming the local carnival where there are thousands of people, you are not going to get coverage, no exceptions. The underwriters are not dumb, if you want to insure under a company name, they are going to look at your website and see all the things you have posted that you do with the UAV's. No one likes to pay insurance, but every time an uninsured incident happens the industry is looked at that much harder and we dont need anymore negative publicity. Our company operates some high dollar UAV's , (Service Drones, S1000's, Skyjib's, and we have 6 inspires) our commercial policy is obviously much more $$ than the above rates, but for the majority of the forum participants, the insurance is reasonable. We use Highlands Aviation for all our coverage, they shop the market and come up with the best solution for the user. Not only are they a good Broker/Agency, they are also UAV pilots, Manned aircraft Pilots and have years of experience. www.highlandinsagcy.com . Highland Aviation is the company that is responsible for pioneering the program through Global to allow UAV users that do not have an FAA pilots license to even be able to get insurance and they fought that battle using their own resources.
In the case of UAV's , insurance is not for the owner who is flying the machine, its for the person or persons that are innocent and get damaged or hurt.

Hi, I'm in Canada. Do you have a link for Global Aviation? Google search turned up a whole lot of different results.

Thanks.
Try Mike King in Toronto. My broker.
[email protected]

Transport Canada requires a minimum of $100,000 liability but in real life, that is way too low.
2 Million minimum is what you need and even 5 Million is even better.

Reactions: Sunscreen
i wish it would so easy to get insurance here in hungary... first available 2014 nov 1 and i am still sending form because the only insurance can not privide me with proper forms... (it is also my fault as i am not always able to fill it out fast, i admit but now going for the third run) was thinking to go to a different country and insure it for world wide...

Applied online. Thanks for the link.

Yes I have Liability insurance , and I would recommend to have it ; however ,you should present it as a recommendation ,not this kind of forsable pressure ,because you have it. Don't take it personal ,but to me it sounds like those daily commercials you see on Tv and listen on radio ( like "you have to have it ,before the offer expires")
Specially because for hobbyist the liability insurance isn't mandatory ,or people are joining flying clubs , and the club has a collective insurance.

Except if you are not flying with a club and flying privately on your own and it crashes into someone or some property, you can potentially be sued for everything you own. It's just not worth it. Same with auto insurance. You never know, even if driving up your driveway.
Maybe I am sounding a bit harsh, but the reality is, this is very serious. It's not like buying home insurance whereas if you lose everything in your home due to a fire or whatever, its only your possessions. However, one gets flight insurance for a drone not for you or damage to your drone, although you can get that as well, it is to protect people on the ground from your machine should something terribly go wrong, and with enough liability insurance, you should be protected enough from a lawsuit.

I don't think I can make this any clearer. Not forcing this on people, just stating the reality of flying drones which is a whole new ball game compared to insuring other items.

Applied online. Thanks for the link.

Except if you are not flying with a club and flying privately on your own and it crashes into someone or some property, you can potentially be sued for everything you own. It's just not worth it. Same with auto insurance. You never know, even if driving up your driveway.
Maybe I am sounding a bit harsh, but the reality is, this is very serious. It's not like buying home insurance whereas if you lose everything in your home due to a fire or whatever, its only your possessions. However, one gets flight insurance for a drone not for you or damage to your drone, although you can get that as well, it is to protect people on the ground from your machine should something terribly go wrong, and with enough liability insurance, you should be protected enough from a lawsuit.

I don't think I can make this any clearer. Not forcing this on people, just stating the reality of flying drones which is a whole new ball game compared to insuring other items.
My recreational insurance covers me for flying alone. Its really is up to the individual to decide and it has been discussed on numerous occasions on this forum. I would recommend please do a search and pickup discussions on those threads. I must admit your opening post did sound like a brokers sales pitch and not just a kindly reccomendation. We do get it.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
In case of accident to be sued and loos everything is scary tactic used by insurance company ,because insurance company is who benefits most of it.
common sense ,discipline and responsibility is to start with;unless to have a insurance is mandatory.
For example : if you as hunter, small boat operator , bicyclist or electric scooter driver cost accident and it is proved it wasn't intentional or reckless ,you might be fined but you won't loos your hose or your savings. Remember this activities might be as danger as flying a UAV and neither of them require mandatory insurance.
Again common sense , discipline and responsibility is to start with.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbodronepilot
I think you're preaching to the choir, as anyone here is more than likely going to have some form of coverage. In my situation, even though my auto & homeowners does not extend themselves to coverage UAS flight, my umbrella does. It is a secondary coverage, if nothing else is there & it's liability only which is my only concern, to raise the coverage to a full comprehensive policy would raise my premiums to the point where I could pay for the UAS in less than three premiums.

USAIG & Airsure are going to be more comprehensive but at the same time, just like ALL insurance companies will deny almost EVERY claim initially. Why this isn't illegal? I have no idea... similar to our states minimums of $25k liability for auto insurance, which doesn't coverage half of my vehicle, additionally I now have to carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage for pricks who hit me, all this together seriously deflates the enjoyment of having anything nice! I take it on the front end & turn around only to take up again on my backside, so If I want to make a joke about this situation, I think it perfectly okay, I'm paying for everything anyway, so lay off on the seriousness.

Wormwood

AMA membership comes with 2 million liability umbrella. It says you are covered wherever you fly as long as you aren't breaking any laws. Seems like the best option for the hobbyist quad pilot.

Reactions: FangsCPO
AMA membership comes with 2 million liability umbrella. It says you are covered wherever you fly as long as you aren't breaking any laws. Seems like the best option for the hobbyist quad pilot.
I'm not sure if that's true..they want you to adhere to their guidelines as far as I know..
no blos fights ..
no mods..
not sure if that's the only requirements..
I can't go along with an organization that doesn't include or is open to blos flying. .turbo.

I'm not sure if that's true..they want you to adhere to their guidelines as far as I know..
no blos fights ..
no mods..
not sure if that's the only requirements..
I can't go along with an organization that doesn't include or is open to blos flying. .turbo.

Well that's what I ment by illegal. As of now its illegal to fly BLOS.

Not saying I don't do it sometimes myself but....ya know.
It's not illegal now ..it's a recommendation I believe. .
the law will be set in a couple of years. .
hopefully blos flying will be legal when the time comes..
I would suggest talking about it more before our rights are taken away from us,because when it becomes law it will take an act of God to reverse. .
turbo. ..

If you join AMA you tie your hands up for the future. AMA does not allow anything but standing behind a line and watching your crafts from a distance. I have been on their lines hundreds of times and I always end up in an argument with them. I believe in rules and safety but their rules are set up for planes and have not been updated for multi rotors with more technology in them. Their insurance does not cover you for almost anything so do not count on that. I fly planes too and I can not stand the AMA.

I think you're preaching to the choir, as anyone here is more than likely going to have some form of coverage. In my situation, even though my auto & homeowners does not extend themselves to coverage UAS flight, my umbrella does. It is a secondary coverage, if nothing else is there & it's liability only which is my only concern, to raise the coverage to a full comprehensive policy would raise my premiums to the point where I could pay for the UAS in less than three premiums.

USAIG & Airsure are going to be more comprehensive but at the same time, just like ALL insurance companies will deny almost EVERY claim initially. Why this isn't illegal? I have no idea... similar to our states minimums of $25k liability for auto insurance, which doesn't coverage half of my vehicle, additionally I now have to carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage for pricks who hit me, all this together seriously deflates the enjoyment of having anything nice! I take it on the front end & turn around only to take up again on my backside, so If I want to make a joke about this situation, I think it perfectly okay, I'm paying for everything anyway, so lay off on the seriousness.

Wormwood
And who is your post aimed at?

I think insurance is a great idea. I have AMA but I am thinking I may need to get something in addition. My biggest concern is that after I obtain it, and I am paying the premiums, how do I know it will really pay out if I have a claim? There are so many exclusions in all the fine print...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topproorityhealthcare