Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Lost My Inspire 1 Into Lake

Might be hidden in dji app just have to keep poking around sometimes before you find it. Is there anyway you can get it out of Lake
A friend of mine scuba dived to try to find it but the water isn’t very clear at the moment due to the weed which is hampering the search

Reactions: InspireEagle
A friend of mine scuba dived to try to find it but the water isn’t very clear at the moment due to the weed which is hampering the search
Good you got scuba diver you're bird is probably in the weeds will probably have to feel for it or maybe try dragging bottom if that don't work

Flying my inspire 1 this morning over a lake and then suddenly it’s fallen out the sky and goodbye drone

I’m sorry for your loss, but, based on your original description vs the pieces added later, it doesn’t seem like it ‘just fell from the sky’.

This all smells like pilot nexperience and very poor decision making. Since you described the woman in the boat who witnessed it as descending slowly... you were flying too low and BLOS. And do you think it was wise to do this flight when, as you say you can’t afford to have lost your drone?

And the only reason I think it’s important to determine that is because there ate just soooo many posts (not saying this one) where a drone lost control, or flew away or dropped out of the sky when, in reality, it was pilot error/bad decision making.

There are just so many things that can go wrong with RC aircraft, and then if you have someone at the controls that doesn’t even know how to actually fly if auto systems fail, then throw in some bad decisions, and you have disaster, and blaming of the drone. Then of course you hear people say how there are all these problems with drones and they just ‘fall out of the sky’

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ruffdog64
since this morning i`ve come across posts about inspires landing due to being in restricted airspace, excuse my naivety but wouldn`t a warning to land be helpful rather than it just landing anywhere

Also, sorry for the loss of your inspire. I think you've received some good analysis. Probably operator error unfortunately. These drones are amazingly good at making them easy to operate. But they are also very complex and should probably be approached as such.

BTW, I researched where you were flying, and you were close to what DJI calls an 'Altitude Zone'. Basically the extensions to a runway. GEO will restrict your altitude in those areas but will not force a landing.
Just so you know that that most likely had nothing to do with with your loss.

1.JPG2.JPG

Read about it here: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Last edited:
Might be hidden in dji app just have to keep poking around sometimes before you find it. Is there anyway you can get it out of Lake
I have some experience flying and unlocking flight in NZF, I was doing a job for an engineering who wanted video of traffic through a roundabout he designed(which is in a NZF Air Force bade in WY), I tried to takeoff unsuccessfully for awhile in the NZF(close to where I parked) and before I learned you have to unlock NZF zones by EMAILING DJI, and then dancing through the app menus, making me look silly onsite, any way I tried to take off and it wouldn’t let me so I moved outside the NZF, took off and moved drone over a median above the roundabout, this was inside the NZF, a good bit away from where I took off (outside the NZF) the drone flys fine for about 3 mins inside NZF, then starts beeping at me and slowly descending, no problem as I’m a few feet away and am able to make it ascend slowly, as if it’s in low battery mode, by pushing throttle all the way open, but when throttle is at resting position, seemingly out of nowhere the drone defaults to decending and very unresponsive to controller inputs, similar to how it would be if the battery had a voltage problem/low battery mode. So I land the thing flustered, angry and very “wow that could have gone bad” I learned that day that getting a COA is not the only thing you need to do to fly in 0ft agl with no LAANC. After I unlocked flight through the DJI app, which solved the problem of it dropping out of the sky, I flew it from inside the NZF, to outside the NZF, then I wanted to fly it to where I parked, which is inside the NZF, so I push the stick forward and the drone stops at the edge of the NZF, which I had been flying in not 20 seconds prior.
On one hand this is reassuring since Joe Schmoe cant take his Christmas drone near the airport and “see how the planes look from the sky”
But on the other hand DJI should make info like that widely known to commercial pilots, or I should have done more research prior.
Anyway my take on the drone in lake is the unresponsiveness and TOTAL change of the flight characteristics probably played this biggest role in a lot of BVLOS crashes, it threw me off big time and I was 20 ft away, so if I couldn’t see it, would have been game over. Fly safe everyone

Reactions: InspireEagle
Sorry for your loss :( As someone who's lost more than a couple of planes into the sea (sea being 10 times more evil to electronics that fresh water) my advice is to get the next shiny thing on your rc list and not look back :)

Also, sorry for the loss of your inspire. I think you've received some good analysis. Probably operator error unfortunately. These drones are amazingly good at making them easy to operate. But they are also very complex and should probably be approached as such.

BTW, I researched where you were flying, and you were close to what DJI calls an 'Altitude Zone'. Basically the extensions to a runway. GEO will restrict your altitude in those areas but will not force a landing.
Just so you know that that most likely had nothing to do with with your loss.

View attachment 26870View attachment 26871

Read about it here: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography
Thanks Dave, yes unfortunately i`ve since discovered it`s pilot error, annoyingly I`ve all the rest of the gear in perfect condition which I considered selling but I can`t imagine anyone has just their drone and nothing else lol

Sorry to hear about this. Most unfortunate and I hope I never have to deal with such a catastrophic event. Good luck in your hunt for another one if that is the plan.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207