Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Max flight altitude inspire1

One of few situations where this can be done safely and should be considered safe by all including other pilots (I'm one) and lawyers (loathe them till needed, use then loathe again) is in the mountains and far away from places where additional dangers need to be considered. As for the 500 meter limit. Yes it's a bit restrictive but as a person who has safely done this dozens of times I can tell you the inspire doesn't have much more battery to offer anyway. When you skim your way up a mountain while staying low up to the 500 meter limit while travel about a mile or so in total distance from take off you pretty much have to turn around immediately and make you way back down in order to get back to home with a decent margin of power left. On colder days with starting altitudes of 12,500ft and above it's not uncommon to trip the critical battery limit at the the turn around point. Good news is it turns off quickly as you make your way back into the green on the way down. This is a perfectly safe usage for these machines but it is very advanced and should not be pursued those who are not willing to gain the proper proficiencies first. I would never agree to altitudes above 400ft or 1 for that matter in in any location or situation where it would pose significant threat to human life or property, but there are many real world applications where piloting these aircraft is not harmful to anyone and should be communicated respectfully as such. The locations I speak of are naturally very quiet and remote. Any person who has enjoyed such a location will agree, it's absolutely impossible to not hear a manned aircraft approaching from a distance far outside of the range an inspire or phantom is capable off. This simple fact affords the operator ample time to adjust to the new variable well ahead of an encounter. Furthermore I'm sure we can all agree if it ever came down to it any logical human being would but their unmanned aircraft in the dirt way before risking human life. Aside from the natural morality most people share, shame, gilt, and imprisonment are powerful drivers for avoiding the types of risks involved. When I fly in the mountains above tree line or in places like southern Utah the whole point is to be as low to the slope as possible thats where the fun is. often times you just need to climb 500 meters to get to it. It's terribly unfair and shortsighted to generalize all who have interest in this type of activity as careless. Furthermore, if your an opinionated pilot flying in the locations I'm describing purely for recreation your being a hypocrite to boot because if you didn't believe in enduring unnecessary risk to human life including your own you would keep your feet on the ground. I own a the FAR AIM have my certifications and am as well versed as the next competent aviation enthusiast. So do me a favor an hold the FAR driven responses. VFR's an easy one. An inspire is in capable hands is no different then a chance encounter with a glider, PPC, etc. See and avoid is just as functional for the unmanned pilot and did I mention I use 360 degree daylight visible strobes.

Reactions: Peet05
Take your calculated risks somewhere else but not in regulated airspace. There are parking lots where you can train driving without a licence. Don't promote a general consencus that since you believe you are smart you will allow yourself a smart drive out to the highway among licensed drivers and the strict rules governing that environment.... And that you will don't it smartly, just not to fast, or for a long time because ... "You" Are smart and think you should teach that life is about calculated risks. You are not suppose to be o be there! PERIOD! Get that? Now you still insist, you are endangering others. PERIOD! Get that? That risks gives you a high, fine, but prepare for the consequences you deserve. Again, these are two different arenas, not one and how to behave in it. This is not a situation where "we are all drivers, and we oversspeed above 55 sometimes, but hey, I do it smartly and I calculate risks by not exaggerating my speed... The consequences involves colliding not with other drones, but people!! Get your head around that, PERIOD! At 404 agl it is a calculated risk as much as 395 agl. Manned aircraft might be in the vicinity. At 800 agl you are being reckless and stupid... And should be caught. No calculated risks discussion here. The main problem I have about your approach is the fact that it dismisses a reality. Like a teenager that knows it all, and does not want to hear about licensed drivers and police opinion but still want to venture on the highway...

Anyway, spend too much time on this already.
Sincerely, active pilot, active drone and RC Fpv pilot

Every time a thread like this appears, it is being spammed with negativeness by (former) airplane pilots and lawyers pretending they are our parents and know everything better.

Let me teach you guys a lesson about life: Life is about taking (calculated) risks and having fun.

Yes, I break the rules sometimes. Does that make me irresponsible? No, it does not. As long as you use your awareness and do silly things at the right times and places, there is nothing wrong with it. It's all about being smart about it and knowing your tools inside out.

Finally, I'd like to propose adding an "Airline pilots and lawyers" section to this forum so we can freely talk about what life is really about without being parented.

What is frustrating about this thread and OP is that he posted a video which the editor quite rightly pointed out the legal issues with that flight...

At which point he asked for feedback as to where he went wrong...

At that point every response he got was met with a indignant defence - and clearly he didn't wish to learn from the wisdom being offered (I learnt from this thread thanks to the Editor here)

I'm reminded of people that post videos on YouTube showing speeding offences and then are surprised when the police call.

If you ask for feedback - then if you've broken rules don't be surprised people will tell you so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Andrew - did you mean to post this here or did you mean it to go on this thread HERE? :) (seems out of context)

First thing, I'll admit I know nothing about this stuff, I'm a complete newb. And I get nervous enough flying at 400 feet, or over water... so I'm not one of the risk taker mentality drone flyer types.

But I can easily see the attraction of high altitude footage.

For now the limit is 400 feet with drones, but as the industry matures is it not possible that at some point commercial drone pilots could file flight plans with the FAA and attach some kind of collision avoidance transponders on larger drones? Allowing them to shoot video from however high their machines can go, while maintaining a well regulated airspace?

I fly mine off of my catamaran in areas nobody lives - just cool islands. I know most people don't use it this way - but I do - and I sure hate to have a limit put on me for this use.

Below is a photo from the first DJI.... GoPro with no FPV.... those were the hard days but the fun ones! 2011.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-16 at 1.31.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-16 at 1.31.39 PM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 16

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cleaningbyjen