Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Motor Mount Reinforcement Braces

Would you be willing to purchase a set with hardware?

• Yes

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Website
www.precisionaerialsllc.com
I have been designing mounts for the motor mounts on the Inspire 2. If some readers are unaware, the motor mounts are adhered to the carbon tube. But on top of that, there is only half of the carbon tube to adhere to as it is cut in half along its face. (see picture attached)

Since I am entering the inspection aspect of UAS, I cannot have this lingering on my mind while flying over critical components of expensive structures.

To this it came to mind a reinforcing brace is needed to be made. So I designed one. Pictures are attached below as well. This is the first version made so far but fits extremely well. The key way didn't print right though so another is being printed to make sure fit is okay.

Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated. Also if anyone is interested in one, please let me know. The final parts will likely be printed in abs or nylon. These first test pieces are made of abs.

Dustin

Attachments

• IMG_20170905_080823.jpg
    IMG_20170905_080823.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 416
  • Inspire-2-Teardown-07-Motor-Installed.jpg
    Inspire-2-Teardown-07-Motor-Installed.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_20170905_082043.jpg
    IMG_20170905_082043.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 394
  • IMG_20170905_080830.jpg
    IMG_20170905_080830.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 382
  • IMG_20170905_080838.jpg
    IMG_20170905_080838.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 400
Reactions: DamesNY
I have been designing mounts for the motor mounts on the Inspire 2. If some readers are unaware, the motor mounts are adhered to the carbon tube. But on top of that, there is only half of the carbon tube to adhere to as it is cut in half along its face. (see picture attached)

Since I am entering the inspection aspect of UAS, I cannot have this lingering on my mind while flying over critical components of expensive structures.

To this it came to mind a reinforcing brace is needed to be made. So I designed one. Pictures are attached below as well. This is the first version made so far but fits extremely well. The key way didn't print right though so another is being printed to make sure fit is okay.

Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated. Also if anyone is interested in one, please let me know. The final parts will likely be printed in abs or nylon. These first test pieces are made of abs.

Dustin
Weight?

To be clear, your work on this is appreciated, but wouldn't this be something better left for DJI to fix based on the fact that if you make a modification structurally, aren't you then libel for any possible damage that might occur? I am just spit-balling here so my questions are more or less thinking out loud.

Dustin
Hi Dustin

Yes I am interested in a set I'm in Australia is that ok?

Glad someone's addressing this issue but I'm also concerned that this particular solution is a bit beefy. Others have suggested a bolt through the arm. That seems more involved with cables etc inside that tube.

Dustin
what kind of prop does that TUZ adaptor accommodate ? Where to buy it please.. Thanks

Hey guys sorry been very busy but I did manage to cut back a lot of weight on the braces. Old braces were 47 grams without hardware. The braces that I just redesigned at now down to just 17 grams. So that's good news.

As far as how many failures have been seen I haven't counted. But there have been enough that frightens me to design a brace. Hell I do inspections mostly with my Inspire 2 I at least need some peace of mind.

I do think DJI should fix this I really do. But let's face it. The only way it will be fixed is with the v2. A large price to swallow for just this fix. And I don't have the time to sit back and hopefully wait for something to happen from DJI. They don't care about us professionals let's be real here.

Geraldosansone, certainly when I get to a final concept I am happy with I will inform this thread and we can work something out :)

I personally will refuse to put a bolt through the arm for two reasons. First the design of the mount and how the carbon tube is cut I fear it would only create more of an issue. I could go more in depth but in short I feel it would break away the adhesive and likely break the carbon tube where it is sectionally cut. Second is I don't not want to monkey with the warranty.

Roostertail, these are the lynh prop adapters but I refuse to promote his products. He does not sit well with me and they are extremely overpriced. There are some other adapters out there I need to find the name though.

Pictures to follow

Don't mind the print quality this was done for a quick mock up.
bfe7b9c4fdcb20a02d7b086ad94ca48a.jpg
35242b43ef01845beb5379cf9bf8ae24.jpg
787cfdd91846ec2faa6aa1b219891bc7.jpg
83822d2d2e064c232ab68a5ed23373c7.jpg

I'm really not sure on this issue at all, I have been watching for it closely and while I have seen a few cases posted is it anymore than usual failure I do not know, it does scare the hell out of me when I do see it but still of all the forums literally seen I think 2 or 3 posted on Facebook, on RCG there are a fair number of I2 users none have seen this, don't think their are any here either ?

Regardless even the fact it has happened at all is not good but their will always be failures with anything, cars and passenger planes are all bonded together these days so is nothing inherently wrong with the method, hopefully what has been seen is just rear QA failure such as bad adhesive or improper setting conditions.

As for the bracket it's a nice idea but my worry is it could actually mask issues beneath, it's much like the P3 motor mount plates, for some these will bring comfort and for others it's no more better.

All I would say is it's worth checking your mounts regularly just to be sure as part of the maintenance schedule I know your all doing ;).

I'm really not sure on this issue at all, I have been watching for it closely and while I have seen a few cases posted is it anymore than usual failure I do not know, it does scare the hell out of me when I do see it but still of all the forums literally seen I think 2 or 3 posted on Facebook, on RCG there are a fair number of I2 users none have seen this, don't think their are any here either ?

Regardless even the fact it has happened at all is not good but their will always be failures with anything, cars and passenger planes are all bonded together these days so is nothing inherently wrong with the method, hopefully what has been seen is just rear QA failure such as bad adhesive or improper setting conditions.

As for the bracket it's a nice idea but my worry is it could actually mask issues beneath, it's much like the P3 motor mount plates, for some these will bring comfort and for others it's no more better.

All I would say is it's worth checking your mounts regularly just to be sure as part of the maintenance schedule I know your all doing ;).

I can see your position on it. Honestly I am still on the fence with it as well. I have insurance on the I2 as well as liability, but when I am flying over turbines or high voltage power lines I do not want to have to rely on an adhesive that seems to be an issue mainly in higher heat conditions. I guess in short this will at least put some of my mind at ease with the whole ordeal.

On he other hand this can be also seen as a fail-safe. Sure serious thermals could still ruin the bond and have the motor mount come off, but this brace will make it so the motor mount physically could not fully detach itself from the arm (by design, it could possibly still come off somehow). So it would be a rough landing but likely one that won't destroy the I2.

I2 underwater version = motor mount failure - this is a positive attitude! probably because he had full coverage insurance?

I can see your position on it. Honestly I am still on the fence with it as well. I have insurance on the I2 as well as liability, but when I am flying over turbines or high voltage power lines I do not want to have to rely on an adhesive that seems to be an issue mainly in higher heat conditions. I guess in short this will at least put some of my mind at ease with the whole ordeal.

On he other hand this can be also seen as a fail-safe. Sure serious thermals could still ruin the bond and have the motor mount come off, but this brace will make it so the motor mount physically could not fully detach itself from the arm (by design, it could possibly still come off somehow). So it would be a rough landing but likely one that won't destroy the I2.
Good idea. After seeing your original post I put some large wrap ties close to the motors. Easy fix that makes it stronger and is lightweight. thanks for posting.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry