Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

My first attempt at video and editing. Would love some C&C.

Reaction score
Hi all,

Here is the first video I shot and edited for a friend in the Atlanta area.
I would love to hear what you all think. Good and bad. Hit me, I can take it.
I know it's not professional in any sense of the word, but I learn quickly and expect to get better fast with good feedback and input. The problem is always not knowing what there is to know and what I don't know.

PS. What is the best format and size to make the video specifically for web based viewing?

Hi all,

Here is the first video I shot and edited for a friend in the Atlanta area.
I would love to hear what you all think. Good and bad. Hit me, I can take it.
I know it's not professional in any sense of the word, but I learn quickly and expect to get better fast with good feedback and input. The problem is always not knowing what there is to know and what I don't know.

PS. What is the best format and size to make the video specifically for web based viewing?
Hey eye in the sky..
welcome to inspirepilots.com! !
your video won't play..
says playback has been disabled by the video owner. .
Turbo. ..

Reactions: sirnikolas
Hey eye in the sky..
welcome to inspirepilots.com! !
your video won't play..
says playback has been disabled by the video owner. .
Turbo. ..
Hey Turbo,

That's strange. I checked all settings and everything seems to be fine.
It plays back for me. Anyone else have this issue?

Yup doesn't play....

Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner.

Yup doesn't play....

Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner.
Okay. I most probably should have checked better beforehand (I looked, but couldn't find anything). How do I upload to the site?
I just pasted the url to the video on my youtube account .

I think that is the only way, post to you tube or vimeo then paste link here.

Ha that would be for someone else to say, I'm below amateur LOL

Video was working fine when I saw it. Just a couple of suggestions, I the transitions were a little choppy, I'm not sure if it was my internet connection being a little slow or if it was something else. It seemed to jump to black after the fade, I would fade or do jumps but not both. I like the shots coming through the construction and the aerial shots showing the scene were cool. The only other thing I might suggest would be have the project manager or the foreman have a couple of guy go through and clean up the site, or shoot it when the workers are there. I am the kind of person that wants things to be clean and organized and there was stuff all over the place on the first clip. I might as a consumer think that this builder isn't interested in keeping my space clean when they are working as a result. Again, that's just me, but I think overall, it's a solid 85 on a score of 100. Good looks.
Did you use a filter?

Video was working fine when I saw it. Just a couple of suggestions, I the transitions were a little choppy, I'm not sure if it was my internet connection being a little slow or if it was something else. It seemed to jump to black after the fade, I would fade or do jumps but not both. I like the shots coming through the construction and the aerial shots showing the scene were cool. The only other thing I might suggest would be have the project manager or the foreman have a couple of guy go through and clean up the site, or shoot it when the workers are there. I am the kind of person that wants things to be clean and organized and there was stuff all over the place on the first clip. I might as a consumer think that this builder isn't interested in keeping my space clean when they are working as a result. Again, that's just me, but I think overall, it's a solid 85 on a score of 100. Good looks.
Did you use a filter?
Hi Jeremy,

All great points.
This was an unscheduled shoot. I was in the area, told a friend what I was doing, and he asked me to try and shoot the property. For both stills and video, so he could see what I could do for him on future projects.
The site was a mess, and definitely needed a clean-up.
Yup, I used the standard nd filter, and stupidly left the camera on auto. So, it's definitely overexposed in a few places.

NO, I'm sure I'm not way better than you. I have a photography background, so I notice some of the nit-picky things. If you're interested in doing commercial work, it's just something to think about.
If the workers are on site, then the mess makes sense and it gives the scene some action, but if the goal is to simply show the site, just have your builder make sure it's organized and clean. The thing to remind them as your customer is that their customers are basing their entire opinion of their company on this one video, so ask them "What do you want your customers to think about your work and your crew?"

I understand. off the cuff, it was a good video. I'm going to have to figure out all the different filter options, I have limited experience with that. Where are you buying your filters?

I understand. off the cuff, it was a good video. I'm going to have to figure out all the different filter options, I have limited experience with that. Where are you buying your filters?
I haven't bought any yet. I'm using the filters that came with i1

NO, I'm sure I'm not way better than you. I have a photography background, so I notice some of the nit-picky things. If you're interested in doing commercial work, it's just something to think about.
If the workers are on site, then the mess makes sense and it gives the scene some action, but if the goal is to simply show the site, just have your builder make sure it's organized and clean. The thing to remind them as your customer is that their customers are basing their entire opinion of their company on this one video, so ask them "What do you want your customers to think about your work and your crew?"
Funny, I also work in photography and notice little things that drive me nuts.
You make perfect sense about the cleanliness of the site. This was just a test to see what could be accomplished.

The mess didn't really bother me so much as the cutaways to photos and then cutting back to essentially the same shot. There was no real context to the photos except that I suppose that's what the place is going to look like once built? When you're in tight quarters like that you really have to get creative with the type of shots you're after, and plan them out. For example let's say you want a 10 second rise shot with the camera pointed straight down. First frame the opening of the shot with whatever you want in view, then move up and count to ten, by the time you reach 8 you should be slowing down to come to a stop.
Planning your shots out rather than just getting the thing up there and flying it around is what separates the great videos from good ones.
Same goes for camera tilt movement, plan your start and end point and slow down the movement as you reach the end point instead of suddenly stopping.
All in all good stuff but with practice you'll get much better. Slow movements, shot planning and variety are key.

Great advice. Thanks so much.

The only other footage I had was photographs I copied off their website. So I used those to break up the really boring long shots.
Planning it out, of course makes much more sense.

Reactions: gruvpix
Good work for not being a video pro. I have a couple tips for you if I may...

When panning, try to do all mov't in 10 seconds and only use the middle 6. It keeps the transitions on either end smooth. Use some editing software to fix the luma issues(zebras are your friend here). Try to use the close, medium, wide framing technique. You can get multiple shots with the same subject that way.

A couple other things I noticed:

-It needed a wider variety of shots
-The overall project could use a bit more organization; such as all the stills in one part of the video.

Just trying to give some helpful pointers. Keep up the good work.

Good work for not being a video pro. I have a couple tips for you if I may...

When panning, try to do all mov't in 10 seconds and only use the middle 6. It keeps the transitions on either end smooth. Use some editing software to fix the luma issues(zebras are your friend here). Try to use the close, medium, wide framing technique. You can get multiple shots with the same subject that way.

A couple other things I noticed:

-It needed a wider variety of shots
-The overall project could use a bit more organization; such as all the stills in one part of the video.

Just trying to give some helpful pointers. Keep up the good work.
The truth is, this was my first attempt at video. And it just feels totally off to me.
Thanks so much for the tips. All sound great. A lot of practice ahead of me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop