Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New feature of the 1.2.1.0 firmware?

Reaction score
I noticed something new today about the Inspire. Before lowering the landing gear from the transport position, I leaned it back on it's rear feet and installed the camera. Soon as I did, it lowered its landing gear automatically. I tried it again on the next assembly and it didn't do it. Seems it need the controller to be turned on first and a connection established between the two.

I don't recall seeing this in the docs, but I could have over looked it. I like the feature as it's one less step I need to do.

Can anyone confirm if this is something new, or am I just crazy? lol

in genral, i always power the tx on first, so it is commanding the ac when powered on. and better to attach the camera with the power off.

I noticed something new today about the Inspire. Before lowering the landing gear from the transport position, I leaned it back on it's rear feet and installed the camera. Soon as I did, it lowered its landing gear automatically. I tried it again on the next assembly and it didn't do it. Seems it need the controller to be turned on first and a connection established between the two.

I don't recall seeing this in the docs, but I could have over looked it. I like the feature as it's one less step I need to do.

Can anyone confirm if this is something new, or am I just crazy? lol
It is a VERY bad idea to connect the camera with the Inspire powered up.
It is very likely you will fry your camera by doing this.
The clearance and spacing between the pins on the connector is very small and the chances of shorting out the gimbal during removal or attachment are quite high.
It's your Inspire, so it is up to you but I do not feel the risk for a few seconds saved is worth it.

Last edited:
It is a VERY bad idea to connect the camera with the Inspire powered up.
It is very likely you will fry your camera by doing this.
The clearance and spacing between the pins on the connector is very small and the chances of shorting out the gimbal during removal or attachment are quite high.
It's your Inspire, so it is up to you but I do not feel the risk for a few seconds saved is worth it.

Would this also be the case when removing the camera?

The manual does state to power off the AC after transforming from travel mode to landing gear down mode. The next section then says how to insert the camera, but doesn't specifically say NOT to do it with the power on. But what you say does make sense. I guess I have just got lucky in the 30-50 flights I have done.

Would this also be the case when removing the camera?

The manual does state to power off the AC after transforming from travel mode to landing gear down mode. The next section then says how to insert the camera, but doesn't specifically say NOT to do it with the power on. But what you say does make sense. I guess I have just got lucky in the 30-50 flights I have done.
Yes.....it is advisable to power down for installing and detaching the camera.
You have been lucky...... There are people that have shorted their cameras and had to purchase new ones by attaching and/or detaching while the Inspire is powered.

I thought i read in the manuel not to attach or detach the camera when the inspire1 is turned on..
Btw.. nice avatar..looks like you drag knee..
turbo. .

I thought i read in the manuel not to attach or detach the camera when the inspire1 is turned on..
Btw.. nice avatar..looks like you drag knee..
turbo. .

I've looked all through the manual and the only thing it says is to power down the AC after transforming from travel mode. But, it makes sense to not connect while power is applied if the connector can be misaligned. Just sucks to have to power up/down 4 times for each flight.

Glad someone corrected me in my ways. Hate to fry the Inspire or the camera.

I've looked all through the manual and the only thing it says is to power down the AC after transforming from travel mode. But, it makes sense to not connect while power is applied if the connector can be misaligned. Just sucks to have to power up/down 4 times for each flight.
You're correct. ..

Glad someone corrected me in my ways. Hate to fry the Inspire or the camera.
You're correct. ..
the manual doesn't say anything about removing the camera when the inspire1 is on..
it does say not to remove the micro SD card when its on..
guess I got confused. ..
anyway. .
happy flying. .
turbo. .

When I flew last night I turned on the TX, then attached the camera while in transport mode, then while holding the AC with one hand used the TX to raise the landing gear.

Powering down is a bit more of a pain because you can't raise the gear with the camera in place, so you have to power down the AC, remove the camera, power the AC back up, then use the TX to place the AC in transport mode then power down again. I really wonder how many people do it this way, or just do it the way I did and just HOT plug/unplug the camera.

It's surprising that this is not described better in the manual if there is such a risk to frying the camera. You would think there would be more thought put into the design of the connector. Look at USB and how it's designed to be hot insert and removal. The USB connector that plugs into a computer port is designed in a way so the outside pins connect first and the inner pins are shorter.

Powering down is a bit more of a pain because you can't raise the gear with the camera in place, so you have to power down the AC, remove the camera, power the AC back up, then use the TX to place the AC in transport mode then power down again. I really wonder how many people do it this way, or just do it the way I did and just HOT plug/unplug the camera.

Have a look at this video, skip to 1:30;

Reactions: 1 person
When I flew last night I turned on the TX, then attached the camera while in transport mode, then while holding the AC with one hand used the TX to raise the landing gear.

It's surprising that this is not described better in the manual if there is such a risk to frying the camera. You would think there would be more thought put into the design of the connector. Look at USB and how it's designed to be hot insert and removal. The USB connector that plugs into a computer port is designed in a way so the outside pins connect first and the inner pins are shorter.
its really just a normal thing to do with cameras. you never put lens's on with a camera powered up, you never take a battery out without turning the camera off first. same goes for the inspire its basically like a lens. you dont put on while AC is on. camera 101. this is not a usb stick.

I wonder if everyone knows the "four quick flicks" on the landing gear actuator switches in and out of travel mode. For a while when I first started I missed that and used the app menu option. (Of course every time I had unplugged and powered off the tablet) It's a real time saver for those of us with a little forgetfulness.

Reactions: PB30X
I wonder if everyone knows the "four quick flicks" on the landing gear actuator switches in and out of travel mode. For a while when I first started I missed that and used the app menu option. (Of course every time I had unplugged and powered off the tablet) It's a real time saver for those of us with a little forgetfulness.

+1

Been using it and works flawlessly! Make sure you are on a flat no grip surface[emoji6]... DONT FORGET TO TAKE THE CAMERA OFF FIRST[emoji15]!!

+1

Been using it and works flawlessly! Make sure you are on a flat no grip surface[emoji6]... DONT FORGET TO TAKE THE CAMERA OFF FIRST[emoji15]!!
Yea usually I'll do the 4 flicks a bunch of times after a flight, and it won't work. While I'm busy cursing the machine I usually realize it's because the camera is still attached.
Luckily the machine is smarter than I am.

Reactions: PB30X
I did notice today with the TX on, camera in the AC while holding the front up by hand and powering on the AC, after a few seconds it lowered it's own landing gear without me commanding it to. Doesn't seem to always do this, so I'm not sure what is causing it.

It's smart enough to lower its gear when the camera is attached and sonar senses a distance short enough to think "this stupid guy is going to put me down on my camera" ;)
Same as it will not enter travel mode if the cam is attached whatever way you try.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Reactions: JimPA
I did notice today with the TX on, camera in the AC while holding the front up by hand and powering on the AC, after a few seconds it lowered it's own landing gear without me commanding it to. Doesn't seem to always do this, so I'm not sure what is causing it.

If that worked everytime it would save a little time off the power on, lower gear, power off, add cam, power on, but I know there has to be an auto IMU gyro cal going on when power first comes on with gimbal attached, so I always used the philosophy of when powering on with cam, helo is on a flat non-moving surface until all lights are green. I suppose you could just power off again after the gear are down, and then power back up to get cal. I'd be a little cautious of flying if I was hand holding it heeled up on power on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207