Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

No Image Transmission Signal - Gimbal OK

Reaction score
Website
www.pageforestry.co.uk
Hi,

I haven't flown my Inspire 1 Pro for a few months and decided to try and capture the sunset last night. But I got the message "No Image Transmission Signal". The aircraft has been faultless all the time I've had it (since new five years ago).

I've read everything (I think) on the forum, but I'm still not quite clear what the issue is. So I'm reluctant to start disembowelling the machine before I've exhausted the alternatives, so I thought I'd start a discussion here.

The firmware I have is:

APP: 3.1.66
Aircraft and Camera: 1.8.1.00
Remote Controller: 1.6.0

I have read of issues with newer firmware, so I'm reluctant to upgrade (if it ain't broke don't fix it)

The gimbal operates as normal - the camera self checks and I've taken photo's successfully. I'm sure the aircraft will fly normally.

When it connects the top left corner of the GO APP shows rapidly in order: "Aircraft Disconnected" - "No Image Transmission Signal" - "No positioning (ATTI)" - "Signal" - "Battery Error" - "No Image Transmission Signal"

I followed the steps from the DJI online support on the error, and I replicate it here:

(1) Check whether the gimbal and camera (including the lens) are attached correctly and the gimbal can conduct a self-check. If there is a connection error, check whether the connector between the camera and gimbal is oxidized or dirty and attach the gimbal and camera again. All is good

(2) Check the Status LED on the remote controller. Try to relink the remote controller with the aircraft if it is red. If the image transmission signal of the slave remote controller is weak, move the slave remote controller closer to the master remote controller, or switch the master remote controller to the slave remote controller and check whether this issue persists. Relinked - no issues

(3) If available, link another normally functioning remote controller with the aircraft and check whether this issue persists. Don't have one

(4) If this issue occurs after firmware update, ensure that the remote controller firmware and aircraft firmware have been updated to the latest version.
I'm reluctant to upgrade (if it ain't broke don't fix it) I haven't upgraded prior to this and I hope not to afterwards.

(5) In DJI GO app, tap “HD” and check the channel status under Image Transmission Settings. If the current channel is not stable, choose a stable channel (for both Inspire 1 and 2) or use the other frequency band (for the Inspire 2 only) , or fly your aircraft in a place that is free of interference.
See attached video "Video Channel" - I'm uncertain if I have a current channel - nothing in blue

(6) Enable “Auto” under Image Transmission Settings. In Manual mode, the channel selected manually cannot avoid accidental interference signal. Done as you can see in attached video "Video Channel". I can't change it anyway

(7) Please use the mobile device with the hardware as advance as possible. The hardware will limit the image transmission effect. I'm not sure what they mean by this I'm guessing up to date hardware - I have a 2020 iPad mini and an iPhone 11 the problem is the same on both of them.

I see from other devices that some have got around this by deleting/reinstalling the DJI GO APP, which I've done.

I'd be grateful if someone could advise.

Cheers

Mark

Attachments

• Video channel.jpg
    Video channel.jpg
    526.8 KB · Views: 23
Hi,

I haven't flown my Inspire 1 Pro for a few months and decided to try and capture the sunset last night. But I got the message "No Image Transmission Signal". The aircraft has been faultless all the time I've had it (since new five years ago).

I've read everything (I think) on the forum, but I'm still not quite clear what the issue is. So I'm reluctant to start disembowelling the machine before I've exhausted the alternatives, so I thought I'd start a discussion here.

The firmware I have is:

I have read of issues with newer firmware, so I'm reluctant to upgrade (if it ain't broke don't fix it)

The gimbal operates as normal - the camera self checks and I've taken photo's successfully. I'm sure the aircraft will fly normally.

When it connects the top left corner of the GO APP shows rapidly in order: "Aircraft Disconnected" - "No Image Transmission Signal" - "No positioning (ATTI)" - "Signal" - "Battery Error" - "No Image Transmission Signal"

I followed the steps from the DJI online support on the error, and I replicate it here:

(1) Check whether the gimbal and camera (including the lens) are attached correctly and the gimbal can conduct a self-check. If there is a connection error, check whether the connector between the camera and gimbal is oxidized or dirty and attach the gimbal and camera again. All is good

(2) Check the Status LED on the remote controller. Try to relink the remote controller with the aircraft if it is red. If the image transmission signal of the slave remote controller is weak, move the slave remote controller closer to the master remote controller, or switch the master remote controller to the slave remote controller and check whether this issue persists. Relinked - no issues

(3) If available, link another normally functioning remote controller with the aircraft and check whether this issue persists. Don't have one

(4) If this issue occurs after firmware update, ensure that the remote controller firmware and aircraft firmware have been updated to the latest version.
I'm reluctant to upgrade (if it ain't broke don't fix it) I haven't upgraded prior to this and I hope not to afterwards.

(5) In DJI GO app, tap “HD” and check the channel status under Image Transmission Settings. If the current channel is not stable, choose a stable channel (for both Inspire 1 and 2) or use the other frequency band (for the Inspire 2 only) , or fly your aircraft in a place that is free of interference. See attached video "Video Channel" - I'm uncertain if I have a current channel - nothing in blue

(6) Enable “Auto” under Image Transmission Settings. In Manual mode, the channel selected manually cannot avoid accidental interference signal. Done as you can see in attached video "Video Channel". I can't change it anyway

(7) Please use the mobile device with the hardware as advance as possible. The hardware will limit the image transmission effect. I'm not sure what they mean by this I'm guessing up to date hardware - I have a 2020 iPad mini and an iPhone 11 the problem is the same on both of them.

I see from other devices that some have got around this by deleting/reinstalling the DJI GO APP, which I've done.

Cheers

Mark
Didn't read your entire post but I will say that you are correct in NOT updating your firmware. You're right in the sweet spot.

Did this exact rig (same iPad, same Go App version) work before?

D

Hi Donnie,

Thanks for the reply, yes it’s all worked faultlessly.

I’m wondering if it is some kind of IOS issue, but with little evidence.

It does exactly the same thing when I use a new iPhone 11.

It would be strange that the AC having been in its box for the past few months and never moved would develop a hardware fault.

Cheers

Mark

Last edited:
I have a 2020 iPad mini and an iPhone 11 the problem is the same on both of them.
Are you trying on both devices with same usb cable, maybe at first try with different cable? Also clean up the usb port on the remote controller. I'll also try on android device to see if it works there.

Hi,

The firmware I have is:

(5) In DJI GO app, tap “HD” and check the channel status under Image Transmission Settings. If the current channel is not stable, choose a stable channel (for both Inspire 1 and 2) or use the other frequency band (for the Inspire 2 only) , or fly your aircraft in a place that is free of interference. See attached video "Video Channel" - I'm uncertain if I have a current channel - nothing in blue

Cheers

Mark
I had the same exact thing with my i1pro X5 camera ended up sending it back to DJI Big Mistake. I sent them a pristine Camera and case what I got back was a heavily used camera and a case with stickers all over it. No way you will get your old camera returned back to you!! if you send it to DJI . More than likely it's an internal cable causing the trouble . there was A private shop in the LA. Calif. area that can do this type of repair , you might check Them out
Chuck

Reactions: Marketal
I had the same exact thing with my i1pro X5 camera ended up sending it back to DJI Big Mistake. I sent them a pristine Camera and case what I got back was a heavily used camera and a case with stickers all over it. No way you will get your old camera returned back to you!! if you send it to DJI . More than likely it's an internal cable causing the trouble . there was A private shop in the LA. Calif. area that can do this type of repair , you might check Them out
Chuck
He’s in the Scottish Borders - so probably not.

Hi Donnie,

Thanks for the reply, yes it’s all worked faultlessly.

I’m wondering if it is some kind of IOS issue, but with little evidence.

It does exactly the same thing when I use a new iPhone 11.
Well, let's clarify. I'm still not sure if anything changed to cause your problem. I'm trying to flush that out. So if you can clarify; Did something change from then to now?

It would be strange that the AC having been in its box for the past few months and never moved would develop a hardware fault.
Agreed. But depending on how it was stored, it's not impossible. Moisture and corrosion can do bad things to a drone.

D

Chuck
Thanks for this - it's a bit far for me, but I'm grateful. I don't want to send the camera away and get some sort of "refurbished" replacement, so I'll bear that in mind.

Cheers

Mark

Well, let's clarify. I'm still not sure if anything changed to cause your problem. I'm trying to flush that out. So if you can clarify; Did something change from then to now?

Agreed. But depending on how it was stored, it's not impossible. Moisture and corrosion can do bad things to a drone.

D
Donnie,

Nothing has changed, I bought a second hand TB48 in the spring - it has always flown perfectly with that. We live in a rural spot, so I don't believe there has been any changes to the radio waves about (there is a 4G mast a mile away, it's been there for years).

The Inspire is stored in my dry office/shed in the garden. There is low level heat in the cold weather, augmented by a fan heater when I'm in here working. The 7 batteries (4 x TB48 and 3 x TB47 all but one TB48 I've had from new) is on a bench in the office. I have since the last flight (which was late August, I see) charged them three times and allowed them to discharge to about level 2 before recharging.

I read this on the DJI Inspire 1 forum - it made really depressing reading: Stumped 3 Machines; No Image Transmission! | DJI FORUM

You commented that that I should leave the firmware as it is - but would upgrading the RC firmware be detrimental?

Thanks for your interest in this.

Cheers

Mark

Hi,

The firmware I have is:

(5) In DJI GO app, tap “HD” and check the channel status under Image Transmission Settings. If the current channel is not stable, choose a stable channel (for both Inspire 1 and 2) or use the other frequency band (for the Inspire 2 only) , or fly your aircraft in a place that is free of interference.
See attached video "Video Channel" - I'm uncertain if I have a current channel - nothing in blue

Cheers

Mark
Not sure if you have seen but this has been covered previously.
See my reply in post #8 on this thread.

Donnie,

Nothing has changed,
From working to not working: Same iPad. Same cables. Same iOS. Same App. Same App version. Copy that. Just wanted to establish that nothing had changed from working to not working.

I bought a second hand TB48 in the spring - it has always flown perfectly with that. We live in a rural spot, so I don't believe there has been any changes to the radio waves about (there is a 4G mast a mile away, it's been there for years).
While "interference" is a possibility, it's highly unlikely.

I would take your "HD" out of Auto mode and find a clear channel in manual mode. More than likely this will not fix the problem, but it will help eliminate "interference" as the cause. Based on your photo, channel 20 looks like the best choice.

The Inspire is stored in my dry office/shed in the garden. There is low level heat in the cold weather, augmented by a fan heater when I'm in here working. The 7 batteries (4 x TB48 and 3 x TB47 all but one TB48 I've had from new) is on a bench in the office. I have since the last flight (which was late August, I see) charged them three times and allowed them to discharge to about level 2 before recharging.
Copy that. I would be more concerned with moisture, but "cold" is also a concern. You mentioned "low level heat." I assume this keeps your shed above freezing, but by how much? If you're storing everything @ 40° Fahrenheit, I might be concerned that that's too cold. All my batteries are stored in the house. And I believe IMU's can be affected by temperature extremes. But I don't think this has anything to do with your video feed issues. But I do think I would consider storing all your drone stuff in your home.

I read this on the DJI Inspire 1 forum - it made really depressing reading: Stumped 3 Machines; No Image Transmission! | DJI FORUM

You commented that that I should leave the firmware as it is - but would upgrading the RC firmware be detrimental?
Yes. RC FW v1.6 communicates with AC FW v1.08.xx. An upgrade to the RC will disconnect communication from the AC. RC FW v1.6 is NOT compatible with AC FW v1.08.xx.

Thanks for your interest in this.

Cheers

Mark
You bet.

Try manual mode (CH 20) in the HD menu. If that doesn't work than post a macro photo of your camera's contacts and your AC's contacts. You'd be surprised how good macro photos can flush out dirty or damaged contacts that the bare eye doesn't see.

Oh, and I completely agree with Humming.Bird. DJI repair will not only send you "different" parts, but they will use parts only compatible with the latest firmware, which will force you into a whole new set of problems. If you do end up sending in your camera for repair, get IN WRITING that they will NOT upgrade the Firmware. If they can't do that, move on to another repair vendor.

D

Hi Mark
Sorry I Didn't realize your location , You mite check and see if you have options in the UK where you could send your camera . hopefully DJI has better service in your area.
My issue Was just like yours ,it worked fine put it away for some time and next time I used it, no image transmission It was a ribbon cable deep within the camera had to send it away.
Check out the bottom of this page for similar threads to read up on

Thanks Chuc

PS The camera they sent me back is working ok !!

From working to not working: Same iPad. Same cables. Same iOS. Same App. Same App version. Copy that. Just wanted to establish that nothing had changed from working to not working.

While "interference" is a possibility, it's highly unlikely.

I would take your "HD" out of Auto mode and find a clear channel in manual mode. More than likely this will not fix the problem, but it will help eliminate "interference" as the cause. Based on your photo, channel 20 looks like the best choice.

Copy that. I would be more concerned with moisture, but "cold" is also a concern. You mentioned "low level heat." I assume this keeps your shed above freezing, but by how much? If you're storing everything @ 40° Fahrenheit, I might be concerned that that's too cold. All my batteries are stored in the house. And I believe IMU's can be affected by temperature extremes. But I don't think this has anything to do with your video feed issues. But I do think I would consider storing all your drone stuff in your home.

Yes. RC FW v1.6 communicates with AC FW v1.08.xx. An upgrade to the RC will disconnect communication from the AC. RC FW v1.6 is NOT compatible with AC FW v1.08.xx.

You bet.

Try manual mode (CH 20) in the HD menu. If that doesn't work than post a macro photo of your camera's contacts and your AC's contacts. You'd be surprised how good macro photos can flush out dirty or damaged contacts that the bare eye doesn't see.

Oh, and I completely agree with Humming.Bird. DJI repair will not only send you "different" parts, but they will use parts only compatible with the latest firmware, which will force you into a whole new set of problems. If you do end up sending in your camera for repair, get IN WRITING that they will NOT upgrade the Firmware. If they can't do that, move on to another repair vendor.

D
Thanks Donnie,

There's a guy near Edinburgh who offers repairs, and I've contacted him. I'll maybe get a reply when the holidays are over.

I don't think it gets awfully cold in the office - maybe 10c? But not much below that. I do have a spare room in the house so I'll probably move it all there.

Thanks again for you thoughts.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark
Sorry I Didn't realize your location , You mite check and see if you have options in the UK where you could send your camera . hopefully DJI has better service in your area.
My issue Was just like yours ,it worked fine put it away for some time and next time I used it, no image transmission It was a ribbon cable deep within the camera had to send it away.
Check out the bottom of this page for similar threads to read up on

Thanks Chuc

PS The camera they sent me back is working ok !!
Thanks!

There's a guy near Edinburgh who offers repairs, and I've contacted him. I'll maybe get a reply when the holidays are over.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks!

Cheers

Mark
As mentioned in the thread I pointed to..... Replacement of the X3 is pretty much your only option.
Seen it so many times previously and despite what others may say....it’s nearly always been an early production X3 that exhibits this issue.

Replace the camera and you will never get the problem again.

As mentioned in the thread I pointed to..... Replacement of the X3 is pretty much your only option.
Seen it so many times previously and despite what others may say....it’s nearly always been an early production X3 that exhibits this issue.

Replace the camera and you will never get the problem again.

Thanks editor,

It’s an X5 I have so I hope there’s an alternative to what you say.

Cheers

Mark

If that doesn't work than post a macro photo of your camera's contacts and your AC's contacts. You'd be surprised how good macro photos can flush out dirty or damaged contacts that the bare eye doesn't see.
I've attached three JPG's of the contacts, including the contacts on the camera lens bayonet. They all look OK to me but perhaps to your skilled eye you'll see something I've overlooked. Incidentally I've cleaned the electrical contacts with a rubber (I think in the US they call them erasers for some reason ?!) and when I connect to the AC the error box on the top left hand side of the GO APP now says "Weak transmission signal" for a moment before returning to "No transmission signal" it didn't do that before I cleaned them. I'm therefore tending to think it may be some connectivity issue.
Try manual mode (CH 20) in the HD menu.
I've tried that and nothing changed.(Did you know I have to change my region to the United States from the UK on the iPad and iPhone to enable the "Custom" button in the GO APP HD menu? Bewildering bug in the GO APP!)

Thanks again for your interest and help in this, Donnie!

Cheers

Mark

Attachments

• _MG_1464.jpg
    _MG_1464.jpg
    828.7 KB · Views: 9
  • _MG_1467.jpg
    _MG_1467.jpg
    733.6 KB · Views: 9
  • _MG_1468.JPG
    _MG_1468.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 9
Just an update...

After a long chat with a guy who repairs these things I decided on his recommendation (sorry Donnie) to update the firmware (he was convinced it's a firmware issue) but only after I had subscribed to digdat0 on YouTube and decided that I could remove some of the restrictions the new firmware may place on the AC. After a "successful" update the AC flew perfectly but the image transmission problem remained. The gimbal, camera, photography and filming all worked perfectly as well. I discovered Heliguy have a depot in Newcastle and I spoke to them. They said this is a problem they are familiar with and that they are sure they can fix it. So I've sent it to them. They are to tell me the cost of the repair before proceeding.

I'll post here how it goes.

Cheers

Mark

Reactions: CoreySnipes
Hi Folks,

I sent this to Heliguy in Newcastle who have checked it out. It appears the Drone is good - the fault lies with camera/gimbal as it works with other gimbals X3, X5 and X5R and there is live video feed. They are sending me the Drone and camera back and sending the gimbal/camera to DJI in the Netherlands for repair. I'll get a quote from them for the repair.

Their advice to me was to keep it if the repair is reasonable, but if not to sell the drone (I have 7 batteries) and invest in an up-to-date machine. This irritates me on a philosophical level - I believe obsolescence is environmentally unsound.

I wonder if I'll get my own camera back?

I'll be back in touch, soon, I hope.

Cheers

Mark

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters