Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Noisy ProRes Footage in Low Light

Reaction score
Website
www.dallasdronepros.com
Has anyone experienced an extremely high amount of noise when filming in low light situations on the SSD ProRes footage only? The micro SD 4k footage is always flawless with no noise, even up to 3200 ISO. We were shooting in 4K ProRes 4444XQ, 3200 ISO, 1/50 shutter, 2.8, to be exact.

We also just did a few tests outside with ProRes 422HQ and 4444XQ at 3200 ISO and 6400 ISO. All test clips have a very high amount of noise that covers the entire image equally. The noise even has random color flakes in it.

Last edited:
Same here. Pretty heavy noise at night at 800, and almost unusable at 1600. Requires massive amounts of denoising work and then sharpening.
I think the X5s May actually be cleaner believe it or not.

In stretching the DR on the x7, DJI introduced some pretty nasty issues in the deepest shadows (banded noise and cmos smear). Best to stay away from them. You can get good results at 1600...but you better not "underexpose" at 1600. Keep your exposures well to the right and it's not a problem...(unless you're shooting at night and you can't expose to the right.) The x5s seems to hold up better in low light situations.

Thx for the input. I’m running into heavy noise filming cityscapes at night , so not much I can do about it. Guess I’ll Stick to CDNG.

In stretching the DR on the x7, DJI introduced some pretty nasty issues in the deepest shadows (banded noise and cmos smear). Best to stay away from them. You can get good results at 1600...but you better not "underexpose" at 1600. Keep your exposures well to the right and it's not a problem...(unless you're shooting at night and you can't expose to the right.) The x5s seems to hold up better in low light situations.
Thx

yes. to compress 4k down to 100mb/s you pretty much have one option...Noise reduction. (followed by horrid-halo-inducing-aliased sharpening). You also lose a fair amount of color detail. It might be the way to go at night.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool