Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Not happy with DNG files from X5s (still photography)

I'm reviewing some files from some days ago. Please take a look at this one shoot with Oly 12mm. For what I've seen till now, I would say it's a decent one, regarding sharpness

Dropbox - DJI_0026.DNG

Contrast focus is always slower. The Oly OMD E-1 has a hybrid system of phase and contrast focus which should be better. I had one, and didn't like it. Sold it and decided to stick with my Nikon D810 and Nikon D500. The thing is, you're on a moving, shaking, blown around platform. Faster shutter speeds are about the best you can do. You're not gonna get tripod DSLR performance. For the most part I'm pretty ok with what the platform can do. You pats your money, you takes your chances.

Hello, I have an I2 plus an X5s received some weeks ago. I'm a photographer and work regularly with Canon. My intention is to have a flying photographic equipment with sufficient quality. A few months ago I bought an Olympus E-M1 to test 3 optics: 12, 25 and 45mm. Happy with 25 and 45, but not with 12. Now, mounted on the X5s, and visualized with Lightroom, the results are somewhat worse. The same lenses mounted on E-M1 look a bit crisper. I attach a few examples with the 12mm after two test flights. I hope links works. The automatic white balance is disappointing and the definition in the corners is, in my opinion, bad. What do you think? I'm expecting too much?

Dropbox - DJI_0006.DNG

Dropbox - DJI_0009.DNG

Dropbox - DJI_0031.DNG

Dropbox - DJI_0033.DNG

Hi -

I am also a frustrated professional photographer, shooting both the D750 and 810 platforms and wanting to take that experience to the air.

While on the cusp of purchasing an Inspire 2, I am wondering if it is a fools error for photography and should get mainly for video which I also shoot.

As this would be consider traitorist talk on the Inspire site to cite a competitor and having had and not been impressed with Yuneec, one would (on paper at least) have to acknowledge their H920 and the Panasonic CG04 MFT camera as worthy of consideration for a still photographer.

I am at a point where I could get the P4P and get good enough results for corporate projects

Older review on Inspire site (however, nothing on camera iteself)
Yuneec Tornado H290 + CGO4 Review

Last edited:
Hi -

I am also a frustrated professional photographer, shooting both the D750 and 810 platforms and wanting to take that experience to the air.

While on the cusp of purchasing an Inspire 2, I am wondering if it is a fools error for photography and should get mainly for video which I also shoot.

As this would be consider traitorist talk on the Inspire site to cite a competitor and having had and not been impressed with Yuneec, one would (on paper at least) have to acknowledge their H920 and the Panasonic CG04 MFT camera as worthy of consideration for a still photographer.

I am at a point where I could get the P4P and get good enough results for corporate projects

It is quite a dilemma. I shoot a D810 and D500 and I will tell you, even in the DSLR world, there is no camera that can match the D810 in DNR and resolution. Nothing from Canon, nor Pentax, or Sony. So the chances of getting this kind of quality from a M4/3 flying, vibrating, shaking (sometimes in the wind) is going to darn near impossible. I am please with the results I get simply because I know the limitations of the X5S. In nice light, it is very capable. Keep the ISO as low as possible and the shutter speed fast, you can get surprisingly clear, crisp photos. I had an Olyumpus OMD EM-1 and in the daylight with the 40-150mm lens on, the images and color were amazing, but when the sun started to go down, you better bring out the tripod because handheld with the contrast focusing AF was just not that good. While I do not shoot professionally, nor fly professionally (I have expensive hobbies. Don't get me on stereo gear), I feel you will be okay with either video or stills. If you want to PM me, I can send you a few stills that I shot with the X5S.

It is quite a dilemma. I shoot a D810 and D500 and I will tell you, even in the DSLR world, there is no camera that can match the D810 in DNR and resolution. Nothing from Canon, nor Pentax, or Sony. So the chances of getting this kind of quality from a M4/3 flying, vibrating, shaking (sometimes in the wind) is going to darn near impossible. I am please with the results I get simply because I know the limitations of the X5S. In nice light, it is very capable. Keep the ISO as low as possible and the shutter speed fast, you can get surprisingly clear, crisp photos. I had an Olyumpus OMD EM-1 and in the daylight with the 40-150mm lens on, the images and color were amazing, but when the sun started to go down, you better bring out the tripod because handheld with the contrast focusing AF was just not that good. While I do not shoot professionally, nor fly professionally (I have expensive hobbies. Don't get me on stereo gear), I feel you will be okay with either video or stills. If you want to PM me, I can send you a few stills that I shot with the X5S.

Yes, the D810 is a beast, but a darn friendly one if you treat it right - will reward you all every time. I guess you said it best, it is about knowing the limitations of the platform and how best to use it. Its not just the cost of the Inspire2 but in winds aloft conditions, things can go South pretty quickly if your situational awareness is not sharp and there goes your 6k investment or some portion, not to mention confidence.

Yes this is an expensive endeavor and at this point not yet paying, so still a hobby. In the old days when shooting out of a Bell Jet Ranger, all I had to concentrate on was getting the shot, pilot was ex-navy, so in great hands and stabilization was rock solid, but for the cost of renting the bird and petrol. Ah Stereo's, now there is a money bit and my vintage vnyl habit <g>

Saw your Vimeo site, some nice images - DR does of course suffer at night, appreciate the offer

Yes, the D810 is a beast, but a darn friendly one if you treat it right - will reward you all every time. I guess you said it best, it is about knowing the limitations of the platform and how best to use it. Its not just the cost of the Inspire2 but in winds aloft conditions, things can go South pretty quickly if your situational awareness is not sharp and there goes your 6k investment or some portion, not to mention confidence.

Yes this is an expensive endeavor and at this point not yet paying, so still a hobby. In the old days when shooting out of a Bell Jet Ranger, all I had to concentrate on was getting the shot, pilot was ex-navy, so in great hands and stabilization was rock solid, but for the cost of renting the bird and petrol. Ah Stereo's, now there is a money bit and my vintage vnyl habit <g>

Saw your Vimeo site, some nice images - DR does of course suffer at night, appreciate the offer

Thanks dude... I forgot to mention watches too as a hobby. :)

Does RawTherapee work with compressed DNG photos? I'd like to try it and I have all my photos lossless compressed with slimRAW. They work in Lightroom and Camera Raw but I haven't used RawTherapee before.

Does RawTherapee work with compressed DNG photos? I'd like to try it and I have all my photos lossless compressed with slimRAW. They work in Lightroom and Camera Raw but I haven't used RawTherapee before.
I don't know it but it's easy to try, just download the program, it's free.

Reactions: erasmus
Hey Michael @Florida Drone Supply, I'd also be interested in learning more about your set up that takes a 5D3.

I've been lurking around here for quite some time, considering I2 with X5S to take my still photography to the next level, so to speak. :D I'm a hobbyist shooting a combination of Canon and Hasselblad so I have reservations about the still image quality coming out MFT. While I certainly can't afford that M600 Pro / Ronin-MX / H6D-100c combo, something that can take a full frame DSLR would be of great interest and hopefully somewhat "affordable".

Many thanks!
Alex

Sounds great. We still have occasion to put a 5D 3 up in the air with a 16-35L so we just had our first cut of a custom frame that carries this with a full DJI electronics package and DJI tuned propulsion system. It flies with the GoApp and will have in air zoom. I'll send some photos off the carbon version when we get it (first cut from G-10).

Great to meet another Canon guy. Talk to you soon.

Sure thing. We ironed out a few small cable routing adjustments on our G-10 version and have all the final carbon pieces arriving today. With any luck we will have it assembled and photographed by this weekend.

Thanks!

Hi -

I'm in the same spot, I need to figure out which camera will be better for still photography, the Panasonic on the Yuneec, or the X5S on I2. I just noticed the Yuneec accepts different lenses.

For all you members who wanted to see how we lift full frame DSLRs using DJI equipment, here is the custom frame I had mentioned we were putting together this weekend.

We designed the frame around A3 and Light Bridge 2 - allowing you to use the DJI GoApp for flying with a DJI remote controller - it also streams us the signal from the HDMI port on the camera for a beautiful HD video feed. It flies just like all the popular copters you have flown with DJI remotes and FCs. For power we use the DJI Tuned Propulsion System E1200 Pro. They are 4216 class motors with 17 inch folding carbon props. The copter uses regular lipo batteries and you can put in any size that fits your flying needs. Its shown with a pair of Tattu 6000s (6S) but could also fly with 4000s, 5000s, 7000s, 8000s, etc.

We put a small 2 axis brushless gimbal underneath it - designed for a 5D Mark III and a long lens. In the photos I just put on a 6D and a 17-40L. We have been able to program the DJI photo button to trigger the camera but have not gotten the wheel to control the gimbal tilt. We installed the channel expander kit on the remote controller - this allows us custom channel mapping of 8 more switches / knobs. We may move the trigger to a momentary switch and we will use the knobs for gimbal tilt, roll adjustments, etc. That leaves other switch and knobs that may be able to be programmed for additional camera control or any other accessories you might need.

Our intention is to also use the DJI Focus to add a remote motor drive on the zoom ring of our lens. This will give us remote zoom from the ground and that would be great for flying a lens like the 24-105L.

This is obviously not a copter for the typical user. It is geared for the times that we just need the extra quality from flying a full frame sensor in a DSLR with a high quality L series lens.

We have been building custom copters like this for nearly 10 years and are very experienced in just about everything out there...if anyone is thinking about being able to get their high end still photo cameras up in the air, this flies like all the "off the shelf" DJI systems but gives you the ability to use your favorite photography equipment.

If anyone wants to know more about this, just let me know...and certainly keep Florida Drone Supply in mind for all your Inspire, Mavic, Spark, CrystalSky and everything else DJI related.

Photos are attached below (and we are still designing the top cover that will enclose the electronics (very much like the M600)

Thanks!

Michael

Custom Hex-1.jpg Custom Hex-2.jpg Custom Hex-3.jpg Custom Hex-4.jpg Custom Hex-5.jpg Custom Hex-6.jpg

That is awesome!! How long will it fly with the batteries you have installed?
We are showing it with the Tattu 6000mAh (6S) batteries and plan to do an endurance test with 6000, 7000 and 8000s to see how much flight time we can get out of it. All batteries are flown in sets of 2.

We are estimating that we can get about 15 minutes flying the 6000s.

Will keep you posted!

Reactions: rent
Very Impressed! Can you comment on the handling?
Hi Barry. I'd be happy to.

So far we have just put it up in the air using the default tuning parameters out of the A3. The A3 offers lots of adjustments and fine tuning.

As we pushed it around the sky it felt very powerful and has a considerable amount of pitch for quick acceleration when necessary. As you release the sticks, it glides / coasts to a very soft stop. This can be changed with the breaking adjustment, but when flying large heavier equipment we find we prefer it to stop a little softer instead of snapping to stop. It climbs as fast as you would expect it to and descends rapidly while remaining steady and smooth.

While hovering we tested the yaw positioning while giving it full left and right yaw. One thing that surprised us was its default yaw speed. It spins really fast. However, it never moved out of position while spinning. I stayed planted in one spot spinning quickly.

We did not have much wind when we flew it so the fact that it hovered perfectly and flew straight and without any altitude drop will need to be tested as our winds pick up...but its off to a great start.

Thats probably about all the significant observations I have to share about the handing at the moment...anything in particular you are curious about - I can add it to my test list for next time.

Reactions: rent
I'm pretty new to my I2, but the images look like they are graded to d-log. It seems weird to me to have this setting for photos, but its is there. The images are then low contrast like I'm seeing. But they seem to come back with some contrast and basic lightroom adjustment.
DJI_0003.jpg

DJI_0010.jpg

They are not L glass on a full frame sensor quality, but not bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207