Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Override of DJI No-Fly Zones - UPDATE

so quick question about actual NFZ and extra large circle around it.
I am near airport and if I look on DJI website I see circle around airport, when I am flying on my drone there is circle 3 times larger than that circle on the DJI site, can I fly in to that "buffer zone"???

At one time there was many more places to ride a dirt bike or rv and now many are now closed to bikes because of damage to private land, noise ect ect.
At one time there was many more places to go hunting than now until dumb asses shot up road signs, used a washing machine for a target then left it, shot in the direction of people or over a hill ect ect.
People that are not responsible and damage property or people are the ones that screw all of us
and cause all of these restrictions.
Just give it time and a nfz will be on school grounds because one may fall from the sky and hit a child, parks as one may crash and hit a person, over lakes or water because the battery will contaminate the water, state forest and blm lands because a crash could cause a fire when the battery shorts out or ????
Give it time and the
only place you can fly will be on your property or in a designated rc park if this BS continues.
We don't need DJI to be our government and play with restrictions as the good will stay within the laws and no matter what the bad will still fly in restricted zones, just like a felon can still get a gun or anything they want any way they want, so rules and restrictions only screw the good guy.
There is places that a car is restricted to go but you will not see it hit an invisible wall because
its a restricted area for motorized vehicles.
For those of you that think DJI doing these nfz,s are a good thing, you will soon change your mind when your favorite place to fly is shut down because of the spotted owl or some other BS thing they can think up.

so quick question about actual NFZ and extra large circle around it.
I am near airport and if I look on DJI website I see circle around airport, when I am flying on my drone there is circle 3 times larger than that circle on the DJI site, can I fly in to that "buffer zone"???

It's a no fly zone at the centre ( R1) and then a 15 degree sloping flight height limit starting at 66 feet R2 that that extends out 1 mile from the R1 zone. It's detailed in the manual under the flight app section.

Reactions: The Editor
It's a no fly zone at the centre ( R1) and then a 15 degree sloping flight height limit starting at 66 feet R2 that that extends out 1 mile from the R1 zone. It's detailed in the manual under the flight app section.

Here's a question, what happens when the airport is located at the bottom of steeply sloping ground? Here's a map showing the DJI no fly / restricted height circles and another showing the hill by the airstrip in Foula, Shetland. I plan to film here next summer. As the FC/Go App is only aware of QFE (field elevation, i.e. height above takeoff point), assuming I took off half way up the hill (still in the restricted height area but not in the no fly zone) and fly towards the airstrip I could effectively be at 200' or more above ground level at the no fly zone boundary, even taking the 15º slope into consideration. They actually want me to film the airstrip so I may have to take one of my other rigs along, but if my theory is right I could get good enough footage from 200' by circling the airstrip around the 0.6 mile no fly zone boundary. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Rory

Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 10.40.49.png
Foula.jpg

That's how it should be to be honest. Felons can't own guns, un-licensed pilots can't fly over a stadium. Probably a bad example but I do agree to this. Get certified if you want to take your business further
ok, but what do you do when your country has not done any rules yet or a possibility to get yourself a certificate?
fortunately there are no NFZ here in my country :) and I really hope it will stay like this a bit more in time. I can say that I fly responsibly and don´t do any stupid stuff like flying right next to an airport at altitudes where a collision is preprogrammed or just like the last report with the seattle big wheel. my concern is that it will not go into honesty and a reasonable pricing in getting a licence in some countries like the US where you easely spend a whopping 5 grand to get out legally flying which in my opinion is a way to take people off their money. what in earth cost 5 grand to make someone write a test fly some figures and answer questions regarding flight and physics.
how much is a drivers licence in the US at the moment?
one can also come along and say you need to get a shrink to test you to see if your not wako up there and a physicist to see that your coordination is ok, another doctor would need to check your eye sight and if you have depth of field ability to determine where you are in space or next or how far you are next to a tree not to crash into it. the list can go on and on and on. it is eternal. but a real (no offence meant here) - farmers logical sense why is it so overcomplicated?
I really hope that this will not be overkilled and someone with some brains will have the power do make the right decisions.
m 2c

Can I humbly ask, Why would you want this NO FLY zones removed?

I'm a professional photographer and I cannot come up with one single idea of a situation where I would need this. Thus my question, I really would love to know a situation where you would want this.

For example, say a private pilot school would want a nice aerial image of their newly built hanger inside of the airport.

WELL, I'm in a NO FLY zone, I cannot take an image with my inspire. HOWEVER, I am talking to a "pilot school"!!!! All I would do is say, I cannot fly my drone in your airspace. So, can you take me up in your plan and let me stick my camera out a window and I'll photograph your building that way.

I honestly do not want to stir the mess....I honestly want to know.

Thanks for your response.

Kirk

Well here's an example. I have a client who's office is right next to an airport. They are mechanics so being able to say use the inspire at about 20 feet off the ground motion shot towards the vehicles and their building would be really nice and pose no danger to airport traffic. I would certainly follow every regulation possible on notification, permission, etc but I currently don't even have the options because it won't fly...and I can't turn it off.

Well here's an example. I have a client who's office is right next to an airport. They are mechanics so being able to say use the inspire at about 20 feet off the ground motion shot towards the vehicles and their building would be really nice and pose no danger to airport traffic. I would certainly follow every regulation possible on notification, permission, etc but I currently don't even have the options because it won't fly...and I can't turn it off.

Put a piece of tinfoil over the top of the I1 to block the signal, (don't you have internet access?)

Reactions: Pottertown
Put a piece of tinfoil over the top of the I1 to block the signal, (don't you have internet access?)
I'd rather a permanent fix than something that could fail mid flight. If the I1 regained GPS mid-flight and you are within a NFZ, it will auto land.

Watch below at 1min 50sec for what I'm talking about. This video is specifically for the Phantom 2 when the NFZ feature was added, but the same thing will happen with the Inspire. It's described in the manual as well (page 48).

Last edited:
Here's a question, what happens when the airport is located at the bottom of steeply sloping ground? Here's a map showing the DJI no fly / restricted height circles and another showing the hill by the airstrip in Foula, Shetland. I plan to film here next summer. As the FC/Go App is only aware of QFE (field elevation, i.e. height above takeoff point), assuming I took off half way up the hill (still in the restricted height area but not in the no fly zone) and fly towards the airstrip I could effectively be at 200' or more above ground level at the no fly zone boundary, even taking the 15º slope into consideration. They actually want me to film the airstrip so I may have to take one of my other rigs along, but if my theory is right I could get good enough footage from 200' by circling the airstrip around the 0.6 mile no fly zone boundary. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Rory

View attachment 4511
View attachment 4510

Since the Inspire only uses a barometer that is calibrated to 0 at it's own take off elevation, then what you are saying should be true and allow you to take off outside of the R1 No-Fly zone even if you are at 200' elevation. Note that on your No-Fly zone map, the inner ring is your no-fly zone which is only extends the length of the runway. It's diameter is about .3 miles and not .6 miles (using Google earth as a reference). The lighter outer ring is the restricted height zone which will be offset by the takeoff elevation.

B
Foula.jpg Foula.jpg

Last edited:
Can I humbly ask, Why would you want this NO FLY zones removed?

I'm a professional photographer and I cannot come up with one single idea of a situation where I would need this. Thus my question, I really would love to know a situation where you would want this.

For example, say a private pilot school would want a nice aerial image of their newly built hanger inside of the airport.

WELL, I'm in a NO FLY zone, I cannot take an image with my inspire. HOWEVER, I am talking to a "pilot school"!!!! All I would do is say, I cannot fly my drone in your airspace. So, can you take me up in your plan and let me stick my camera out a window and I'll photograph your building that way.

I honestly do not want to stir the mess....I honestly want to know.

Kirk

There's a hostage situation at the airport or near it and air support for SWAT is required.

This is the stuff I deal with. We definitely need to fly in these areas when required. Of course we are certified and ground school trained to do it safely. I have been talking to DJI management about this issue ever since it showed up. Nice to see that it is going to be introduced.

Reactions: Phatzo
any pilot cant that fly without GPS isn't a certified pilot in my opinion and thus should not fly in such areas. i wrap my GPS with tinfoil. not only is it flying faster, it doesn't have any restrictions. i keep a roll of tinfoil in my case just in case nearby pilots wants to give it a try. I trained a couple of my friends to fly their drones without GPS. and trust me, they are so much better now that they find it weird to fly it with GPS just like me.

not to mention, the videos are so much smoother. partially due to no active braking.

Reactions: Eric
any pilot cant that fly without GPS isn't a certified pilot in my opinion and thus should not fly in such areas. i wrap my GPS with tinfoil. not only is it flying faster, it doesn't have any restrictions. i keep a roll of tinfoil in my case just in case nearby pilots wants to give it a try. I trained a couple of my friends to fly their drones without GPS. and trust me, they are so much better now that they find it weird to fly it with GPS just like me.

not to mention, the videos are so much smoother. partially due to no active braking.
All true except there is a height restriction of 400' imposed with no GPS present but for the most part sensible operators will not be going above that ceiling in any case.
The danger with using your method is should the aircraft manage to get a fix (albeit weak or sporadic due to low elevation Glonass or Navstar satellites) a forced landing may be invoked and you will be powerless to stop it.

Reactions: Phatzo
not to be a show off. but this was shot at 3.1m height.
db10-1.jpg

dont worry guys, im certified, when i see the process for getting nfz's turned off i'll tell everyone how to do it, you can even use all my certification information to do it. it's all false info that leads to a person that doesn't exist.

dont worry guys, im certified, when i see the process for getting nfz's turned off i'll tell everyone how to do it, you can even use all my certification information to do it. it's all false info that leads to a person that doesn't exist.
What are you talking about....have you been drinking?

no no it's cool if none certified pilots want a no fly zone turned off. i'll let them submit my exemption info to dji to have it shut off. simple

no no it's cool if none certified pilots want a no fly zone turned off. i'll let them submit my exemption info to dji to have it shut off. simple
And how will that work with the NFZ override being linked to not only certification documentation, ID and serial number of the aircraft?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anastasiyakavitko6