Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Override of DJI No-Fly Zones - UPDATE

I believe that the problem is DJI and not the regulations. In the US, the FAA has issued an "advisory" AC No. 91-57A which states:

"(5) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the model aircraft provides the airport operator or the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation. Model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)."

So the FAA is advising (the drone operator) to provide prior notice to the Airport for safety purposes. It is not prohibiting or restricting anything!

Somehow, DJI has taken it upon themselves, to prohibit the flight of DJI brand of UAS in these areas! I believe this is not right!. As the "Editor" mention earlier, the software should advice the operator of the proximity to the Airport but not restrict the flight!

I believe that an "override" should be available to Commercial Operators and to anyone else that wants it! As a Certified Pilot, I know that I can not fly in certain locations such as Area 51, Washington DC, or into any TFR. No aircraft in the world that I am aware of, has anything in them that prevents them from flying in those areas. The pilot makes the decision.

As an active EAA Member I have been asked to fly and answer questions to the public about drones, during an event at my local airport. No commercial operations, no money exchanged. The Airport felt that since the FAA classifies them as "aircrafts", the airport will benefit from the education to neighbors of the risks of flying drones near manned aircraft.

OK,

This is probably going to stir up a hornets nest but....

After a looooong wait I have heard back that DJI will be implementing an override facility for the Inspire.

HOWEVER - the caveat is, this will only be provided to certified operators who are able to prove their qualification/certification in their country of operation.

Please do not shoot the messenger, I have only heard today and I do not have details of exactly how it will be implemented. However I have had confirmation that this is currently being worked on. Although this originally was going to be by way of a web portal/login, this MAY have been scrapped now in favour of providing copy documents etc linked to serial number.

Obviously, as soon as I hear anything more I will post it up here.
Thanks for the info here.

I'm currently studying my RPQ-s examine, so hopefully in the new year I will be qualified.

When DJI say that they will remove restrictions for qualified pilots, does this mean a one off, I mean for say saturday 1st December only, giving a date as an example. Or will it be 'forever' at a particular location, as long as its the same aircraft, qualified pilot etc? thanks

Thanks for the info here.

I'm currently studying my RPQ-s examine, so hopefully in the new year I will be qualified.

When DJI say that they will remove restrictions for qualified pilots, does this mean a one off, I mean for say saturday 1st December only, giving a date as an example. Or will it be 'forever' at a particular location, as long as its the same aircraft, qualified pilot etc? thanks
The original idea was it would be for a particular long/lat on a particular date and for a set time window. In reality, that didn't work out too well. Too restrictive and too many variables - weather etc to make it viable.
I believe the idea now is a permanent unlock linked to a specific aircraft's S/N together with evidence of certification and users identity (passport etc).

In some european countries with new drone laws if your bird do not has a NFZ protection (so NFZ implemented) you will not be allowed to fly. Also the European Counsel has made a new law that all drones need to be chipped.

In some european countries with new drone laws if your bird do not has a NFZ protection (so NFZ implemented) you will not be allowed to fly. Also the European Counsel has made a new law that all drones need to be chipped.
This is not European wide law. Suggest caution in stating 'laws'. You would need to specify the country and the articles of the law. UK CAA is in the EU but this is not law here.

Last edited:
The European cretins can pontificate and blow hot air as much as they like but until a law is passed in a particular country it means nothing.
The sooner we have a referendum and get out of Europe the better as far as I'm concerned.

Nothing, but you can bet they'll lock that as tight as technically possible unlike smartphones that are voluntarily a bit lax... And so much more widespread.

In my origin country there is no need for certification, nor any certification I could get to show dji even if I wanted... Yet there are dji NFZ's. What do I do?

Envoyé de mon SM-G920F en utilisant Tapatalk

in my country the NFZ don´t work but I am smart enough to not exceed testing and endanger anything or anyone. I have the same situation as you do. no chance to get a certificate or make one.

Can I humbly ask, Why would you want this NO FLY zones removed?

I'm a professional photographer and I cannot come up with one single idea of a situation where I would need this. Thus my question, I really would love to know a situation where you would want this.

For example, say a private pilot school would want a nice aerial image of their newly built hanger inside of the airport.

WELL, I'm in a NO FLY zone, I cannot take an image with my inspire. HOWEVER, I am talking to a "pilot school"!!!! All I would do is say, I cannot fly my drone in your airspace. So, can you take me up in your plan and let me stick my camera out a window and I'll photograph your building that way.

I honestly do not want to stir the mess....I honestly want to know.

Thanks for your response.

Kirk

I will try to answer that one :)
the reason they won´t go up with you in a plane they have is the expence. you with your drone cost them a fraction of what the gas, the plane, the overhead and other expense is. so compared to you vs. the real plane you would be a lot cheaper. I think that is the only reason.
another reason for NFZ to be removed is only DJI has them. Mikrokopter a german based company that was one of the first inf not the first to invent multirotor electronics has no NFZ what so ever and you really do not hear any reports from owners that fly them to do **** like some idiots with DJI gear or other gear.
it is a question of common and normal way of thinking.
no offence meant and this is my solely opinion about it. personally I do not fly over or near airfields and if I would have to I would contact the corresponding authorities, tower and make sure everyone that has to know about me knows I am in that airspace. no risks to be taken here.
my 2 cents

Hi Kirk,
There could be many reasons but I can give you one I have at the moment.
I have been asked to video a military band whilst they rehearse on a parade ground in front of a beautiful barracks building.
The shots I will be able to get will be fantastic. I will be doing a three camera shoot - one locked off, one handheld and an aerial platform. I will be able to fly over the barracks to a reveal shot of the band in full military dress performing. Additionally, doing close low passes over their heads as they march under the Inspire. These shots would be impossible to get even with a crane.
The only problem I have....... The parade ground is located on a military base and, you guessed it....its a NFZ. :mad:
can´t you override the NFZ with aluminum foil over the GPS of the Inspire?
another possibility would be to use Mikrokopter electronics. - if you know someone that has a hex or similar to carry a cam with gimbal. with that one you can even plan the route ahead.
just an idea.
I have two (hex and octo) but I am sitting in Hungary. I could / would help even if it meant to come over to you. - not kidding. to bad I am not certified in England.
cheers

The original idea was it would be for a particular long/lat on a particular date and for a set time window. In reality, that didn't work out too well. Too restrictive and too many variables - weather etc to make it viable.
I believe the idea now is a permanent unlock linked to a specific aircraft's S/N together with evidence of certification and users identity (passport etc).
That's what I was hoping for. As the farmer wants imaging during the year to show crop yields etc.

+1 to that.

The European Counsel is thinking about a general drone law for the while of Europe.
For some countries it is a blessing, for example Belgium where you can only fly 10m high ....

(Also countries that want to leave Europe Go ahead but they will loose all the positive things of europe for business, marchandising, tourisme, etc ...)

The European Counsel is thinking about a general drone law for the while of Europe.
For some countries it is a blessing, for example Belgium where you can only fly 10m high ....

(Also countries that want to leave Europe Go ahead but they will loose all the positive things of europe for business, marchandising, tourisme, etc ...)
Haha - There are no positive things about Europe - Just bureaucracy.

Europe can make as many non binding laws as they like - they are meaningless. They only become law once passed in a member state country (if at all).

I still remember the straight banana fiasco! :p - Anyway don't get me started on Europe, sorry, off topic.

Reactions: Mike Walker
I have a small airport 1.5 miles from me.
I have been flying at my home for 20 years.
I have never encountered an unsafe situation.
There are small planes flying overhead at this minute.

can´t you override the NFZ with aluminum foil over the GPS of the Inspire?

Yes you can, however it requires that you are able to fly proficiently in atti mode which most people with this NFZ problem cannot do.

The European cretins can pontificate and blow hot air as much as they like but until a law is passed in a particular country it means nothing.
The sooner we have a referendum and get out of Europe the better as far as I'm concerned.

Ok Editor! I finally understand you.

You are the editor, moderator of this forum and you make such unfair political comment!
You should be a moderator, instead you use this forum to judge and quench your frustrations.

I'm pretty sure you don't care about my presence here. We have proof of your arrogance in many posts of yours.

You do not deserve my time reading you comments.

Ciao

Looking for a door to adventure

Ok Editor! I finally understand you.

You are the editor, moderator of this forum and you make such unfair political comment!
You should be a moderator, instead you use this forum to judge and quench your frustrations.

I'm pretty sure you don't care about my presence here. We have proof of your arrogance in many posts of yours.

You do not deserve my time reading you comments.

Ciao

Looking for a door to adventure
You misunderstand - I do not mean the people of Europe - I love Europe and its people. I am talking about the self elected idiots that populate the halls of the European Parliament and sit around tables wasting taxpayers money coming up with "laws" like bananas should be straight.

However, if somehow I have inadvertently offended you I apologise (unless you are a Euro MP).

Yes you can, however it requires that you are able to fly proficiently in atti mode which most people with this NFZ problem cannot do.
Yet another sweeping pointless assumption. I for one, can't speak for others here, am happy and proficient at flying in atti all day long. I had to prove it too. I think you will find that more folk than 'most', as you say, that need to fly in or around A NFZ, can and do regularly and skillfully fly in atti mode.

It appears there is a mechanism in place now to unlock specific NFZ's. I emailed [email protected] and asked them how to get started if I need to fly in a NFZ. I received this response with a couple of documents. It only took a few minutes to get a response.

6593005_orig.png

It appears there is a mechanism in place now to unlock specific NFZ's. I emailed [email protected] and asked them how to get started if I need to fly in a NFZ. I received this response with a couple of documents. It only took a few minutes to get a response.

6593005_orig.png
Good luck with that one - this is the same 'service' that has been around since August and has never granted an 'unlock'
Unfortunately it doesn't work :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool