Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Pilot App hangs Samsung Galaxy Tab S after Lollipop upgrade

Maybe 5.1 is the answer. But its not available on the Samsung. The Samsung is a great tablet, but it sucks as a device for the Inspire. The latency is horrible even when the device is working. Sounds like Nvidia is a popular choice but my IPad arrives on Monday. Then I will have the flight simulator and other features the android app is missing.
I don't agree. i own the 10.5 version of the TAB S and everything was perfectly smooth before OS/FW update.

I don't agree. i own the 10.5 version of the TAB S and everything was perfectly smooth before OS/FW update.

I am not exactly sure what you disagree with, but I will say this. Before Lollipop everything ran after all the DJI firmware upgrades. After Lollipop, complete crap. Someone did mention heat related issues and I think there is some correlation. The last time I tried to fly, the temperature was 90 degrees F. I couldn't even get past the menu screen of the app. Earlier that day, I flew in much cooler temps and the app started but kept hanging up mid flight. Had to keep restarting the app to continue.

The Samsung is a great tablet, but it sucks as a device for the Inspire. The latency is horrible even when the device is working
That's what i'm not agree with.

Same here; after Lolipop upgrade, Pilot App has become essentially unusable on my Galaxy Tab S 8.4. My freezing problem is continuing even after updating the Pilot App and all the firmware for the bird, controllers, and batteries. It seems fine when starting a flight then gradually it gets less and less responsive until finally locking up and eventually crashing (the app, not the Inspire). It seems that it is a compatibility problem between the Pilot App and Samsung's newest OS. Quitting the Pilot App and restarting doesn't help either because the bug messes with the Android OS so you have to reboot the tablet to clear it. I haven't tried it with my phone yet, but I am going to. Unfortunately, it also has had Lolipop pushed onto it.

So, I'm basically grounded until I get this sorted out.

I haven't tried it with my phone yet, but I am going to. Unfortunately, it also has had Lolipop pushed onto it.

So, I'm basically grounded until I get this sorted out.

I have the Galaxy S4 w/Lollipop and it suffers the same problems but to a lesser degree. I was able to start the app but after 3 minutes lost all communication between the app and the Inspire. Couldn't control the camera, or see what the heck was going on. Still able to fly and land visually.

Well, I tried it with my Samsung Galaxy S5 w/Lolipop this morning and it seemed to run fine. I will try again later today if the weather cooperates. My S5 is running version 1.0.10 of the DJI Pilot App.

Nice! I will be very curious in how it works for you and your thoughts... if it wouldn't be to much trouble to report back. Thanks!

So I flew with my new iPad Mini2 today (32 GB version). It worked absolutely perfectly. No noticeable latency. In fact you would only see maybe a very slight delay if you waved you arm in front of the camera while looking at the screen. The screen is very clear but like all theses devices there is screen glare. But the most important thing is the pilot app itself is significantly better than the android version. For one thing it actually works. No start up issues or in flight hang-ups. The application itself has features that are an improvement over the android. Like, an actual satellite count; over exposure indicator; the flight simulator; and in the flight recorder you see additional critical information that is not displayed in the android version. Also when you select a flight record it gets displayed instantly. In the android version I had to wait minutes before the flight replayed. To me this is a worthwhile investment. That's not to say its the best because it is the only IOS device I used. But it does everything I hoped for and actually expected out of the pilot app.

Reactions: WaveReflections
I am not exactly sure what you disagree with, but I will say this. Before Lollipop everything ran after all the DJI firmware upgrades. After Lollipop, complete crap. Someone did mention heat related issues and I think there is some correlation. The last time I tried to fly, the temperature was 90 degrees F. I couldn't even get past the menu screen of the app. Earlier that day, I flew in much cooler temps and the app started but kept hanging up mid flight. Had to keep restarting the app to continue.

I continue to have the app crash on my Nvidia Sheild. I believe many folks get app problems and some maybe do to the hardware they use. Some the software. I pratice minimal operations of the tablet as i fly.

* Wifi off
* all other apps off
* cell phone in airplane mode or far away from me.
* never fly behind objects
* tablet always on max performance mode
* power cycle the tablet before use

This seems to help. Never fly none line of site just incase you need atti mode to gain control.

Same problem with my Samsung Galaxy Tab S (8.4), Lollipop 5.0.2. I own a Phantom 3 Advanced with the latest firmware and 'Pilot app', but the problem still persist. I think the issue is coming from the app.

Last edited:
When I updated to Pilot App 1.2.0, the major problems went away. Still a bit laggy though, seems to be working fairly well overall. No more unresponsiveness, slowdowns or freezes of the app at least!

I also using the a new Tab s 8.4 and having same problems . I'm pretty sure it running the latest android OS seems My problem so far only seems to be when shooting video , that's when I seem to have all the problem you guys mentioned . The AC is not effected only the pilot ap. . when not shooting video the ap seem to work pretty good The video playback is crappy on the tabs too but when playing other 1080p file no problem . Can you change the shooting video from 4k down to 1080 . I was wonder if that would help

mrkihn: You can change the video resolution with the FN slider on the right-hand side of the app. There are other parameters you can alter also.

Mopar Bob: I just did the same thing as you; switched to an iPad Mini2 - 32GB with the same results. The app runs very smoothly with much longer video range and does not lag, hangup, or crash. On top of that are all the additional features that the Android version is missing, as you noted. This is the way I always thought the app should work, and on the iPad, it does. Like you, it is my only iOS device, but I'm very pleased and think it is a good investment. Now, anybody want to buy a brand new Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4? ;)

Reactions: mrkihn
mrkihn: You can change the video resolution with the FN slider on the right-hand side of the app. There are other parameters you can alter also.
Thanks found that . Didn't make a difference streaming to Tab.

Mopar Bob: I just did the same thing as you; switched to an iPad Mini2 - 32GB with the same results. The app runs very smoothly with much longer video range and does not lag, hangup, or crash. On top of that are all the additional features that the Android version is missing, as you noted. This is the way I always thought the app should work, and on the iPad, it does. Like you, it is my only iOS device, but I'm very pleased and think it is a good investment. Now, anybody want to buy a brand new Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4? ;)

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. No, I don't think you can change the resolution of the video that is recorded on your handheld device; only on the SD card itself that is in the aircraft's camera SD slot.

I'm using samsung Note 4 phone with 5.0.1 and if I turn off all the apps (FB, Email, weather, stocks etc.) and just run DJI pilot app it's not bad. I also ensure blue tooth and phone connection is off. But I know what you are all talking about with the updated battery app because their were zero issues before I updated it and now I get very uncomforatble when flying without shutting everything unessential down. DJI PLEASE FIX THIS!!!

problem with the NVidia is the screen. it's not bright enough, if you were sunglasses you almost can't see the image, even with a hood. if you wear polarized sunglasses the screen looks completely blank, so as long as you don't wear sunglasses of any kind the NVidia is great.

problem with the NVidia is the screen. it's not bright enough, if you were sunglasses you almost can't see the image, even with a hood. if you wear polarized sunglasses the screen looks completely blank, so as long as you don't wear sunglasses of any kind the NVidia is great.
The Nvidia screen may indeed be less bright than others, but due to the way LCD displays work, you often cannot wear polarized sunglasses to view them because the display itself produces polarized light. However, it depends on the polarization plane of both the LCD screen and the glasses to confirm this with any particular combination.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverBaez