Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

REVIEW: Smart Power Charger DJI Inspire 1 SPC4500

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I have no association with Smart Power Charge. I am simply posting this for forum knowledge.

Shortly after purchasing my DJI inspire 1, I realized that I was definitely going to need some form of a charger beyond what was provided with the stock unit. Having nine batteries (1xTB47 and 8xTB48), there was no way that a single stock charger would do the trick. I am entertained the idea of using multiple DJI chargers, but upon further investigation, that idea didn't seem realistic.

I don't exactly remember where I heard about the Smart Power Charge, but I somehow stumbled upon their website. The company offers a variety of chargers for the entire line of DJI line of quadcopters. Their model for the DJI Inspire 1 is called the SPC4500. It is capable of charging four (4) batteries simultaneously as well as two (2) remote controls (RC), and two (2) USB devises. AMAZING! It was just what I was looking for.

The SPC4500 comes well packaged in a sturdy cardboard box. There is no doubt what's in it when you see the packaging. It has quality printed right on the box. They used quality vector based images that give a clean look. Even before opening the product, the box screams "I will do your batteries right!"

The SPC4500 is packed well inside. Both sides are supported by closed cell foam similar to the quality found in high-end cases. No cheap foam here. The SPC4500 is also enclosed within a dust cover (i.e. clear plastic bag).

This unit is solid! It weighs about 8 lbs. It is made of laser cut steel that is finished in a baked enamel. Look at the detail of the vents for the cooling fans! There are two vents. One per side. There is one cooling fan found on the right side (notice the two screws in the picture below).

The logos/decals on the unit are NOT stickers. They are actually part of the baked enamel finish. The only stickers on the unit are the serial number, the "Made in Taiwan" sticker and the quality control (QC) sticker. All the screws holding the unit together are allen head machine screws. This thing is QUALITY!

Each unit includes the 120V AC power cord, a small instruction manual, and two (2) 26V charging cables for the RC's.

Each of the four (4) slots has its own large, very visible, blue LED panel that indicates battery voltage. Each one is labeled "Smart Battery X." Below the large LED, each battery slot has a red "Deep Cycle" button and a small green LED that illuminates when the charging slot is ready to charge upon turning on the unit. The "deep cycle" function must be initiated by depressing the large red button. Deep cycling is to be done every 10 battery charges per the DJI manual page 22.

IMG_0060_zpsighrcxhq.jpg
[/URL]

Each battery charging slot has a small plastic dust cover (just like the one on the factory DJI charger) to cover the charging terminals. It is a bit difficulty to get it out at first, but once you've got it figured out, its straight forward.

I literally CANNOT say enough about this charger. I would gladly pay the price again ($499.00 at the time of this review). Some lucky people got it at $399.00 during the "pre-order" phase. It has made my life so much easier. I will be posting a video review shortly. It is in production/editing now.

BTW, I use mine at home and a shoots with a Honda EU2000i generator. Works like a dream!

If you order one of these, please tell Rich I sent you. Again, I get nothing out of it. Just want him to know. He and his staff are top notch.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Last edited:
I also got mine for the $399 preorder and received it a couple weeks ago. It had an issue over the weekend and Richie, the owner, is overnighting me a replacement at no cost. Great guy, great company, and SUPER great charger

Yes a week ago.

I got mine a week ago as well.
It didn't charge any faster, got hot/smelled, then stopped working on day 3.
I'm just getting my money back as it is NOT a good idea to charge lipos unattended.
I will get 4 of the new dji quick chargers for less money, and charge all 4 of my packs in one hour, then I'm done done, took 3 hours using the $400.00 "smartcharge", (with a very cheap power supply). too much stress for me watching my lipos charge for 3 hours. going back!

I'm just getting my money back as it is NOT a good idea to charge lipos unattended.
I will get 4 of the new dji quick chargers for less money, and charge all 4 of my packs in one hour, then I'm done done, took 3 hours using the $400.00 "smartcharge", (with a very cheap power supply). too much stress for me watching my lipos charge for 3 hours. going back!

Really surprised by your experience. My batteries charge like clock work (about 85 minutes for the TB47 and 105 minutes for the TB48). Right within spec.

I have not had any problems with over-heating/hot/smell either. In fact, I tried to charge a battery that was hot off the Inspire and my charger WOULND'T even charge it until it cooled down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogemaster
Yeah Carlsberg, it sounds like you and I were a couple of the unlucky few to get faulty items. Mine worked great for a week but when i used the usb port one of them was bad. Like i said, i told the owner and he's overnighting a replacement for me for free. I'm sure if you contacted him he'd take care of you, it's definitely worth it and my opinion, a safe place to store batteries in it's metal frame.

Yeah Carlsberg, it sounds like you and I were a couple of the unlucky few to get faulty items. Mine worked great for a week but when i used the usb port one of them was bad. Like i said, i told the owner and he's overnighting a replacement for me for free. I'm sure if you contacted him he'd take care of you, it's definitely worth it and my opinion, a safe place to store batteries in it's metal frame.
As I mentioned, I cannot speak highly enough of Rich. He is a fantastic guy and certainly stands behind his product!

120 minutes for the TB48).

2 hours, that's terrible man, pathetic in fact.
Spending $400 to monitor a 2 hour charge is ridiculous.
DJI's $90 supply charges in HALF that time, (that's a BIG deal).

If you're going to attach everything you own to that cheap power supply at one time, you BETTER monitor that thing, before we read about how your whole garage when up in smoke, (please don't tell me you use that thing unattended in your house).

I sent mine back before I had the idea to unscrew it and Google the power supply they are using.
How about you do that and report back so we all can learn something.

(regardless of everything said in this thread, please do NOT charge lipos unattended with any device)

2 hours, that's terrible man, pathetic in fact.
Spending $400 to monitor a 2 hour charge is ridiculous.
DJI's $90 supply charges in HALF that time, (that's a BIG deal).

If you're going to attach everything you own to that cheap power supply at one time, you BETTER monitor that thing, before we read about how your whole garage when up in smoke, (please don't tell me you use that thing unattended in your house).

I sent mine back before I had the idea to unscrew it and Google the power supply they are using.
How about you do that and report back so we all can learn something.

(regardless of everything said in this thread, please do NOT charge lipos unattended with any device)

Are you always so negative? I review a lot of your posts and rarely hear anything positive.

You've assumed I don't keep any eye on things just because I have a "smart charger." WRONG

I misspoke on the charge time for a TB48. It's actually around 110 minutes.

Reactions: sirnikolas
Reactions: Carlsberg
Hello offtosleep, can you confirm that there is in fact two fans one on each side, my unit only came with one on the left side looking at the front but on the right side no fan at all?
Thanks in advance,
Carlo

Disclaimer: I have no association with Smart Power Charge. I am simply posting this for forum knowledge.

Shortly after purchasing my DJI inspire 1, I realized that I was definitely going to need some form of a charger beyond what was provided with the stock unit. Having nine batteries (1xTB47 and 8xTB48), there was no way that a single stock charger would do the trick. I am entertained the idea of using multiple DJI chargers, but upon further investigation, that idea didn't seem realistic.

I don't exactly remember where I heard about the Smart Power Charge, but I somehow stumbled upon their website. The company offers a variety of chargers for the entire line of DJI line of quadcopters. Their model for the DJI Inspire 1 is called the SPC4500. It is capable of charging four (4) batteries simultaneously as well as two (2) remote controls (RC), and two (2) USB devises. AMAZING! It was just what I was looking for.

The SPC4500 comes well packaged in a sturdy cardboard box. There is no doubt what's in it when you see the packaging. It has quality printed right on the box. They used quality vector based images that give a clean look. Even before opening the product, the box screams "I will do your batteries right!"

The SPC4500 is packed well inside. Both sides are supported by closed cell foam similar to the quality found in high-end cases. No cheap foam here. The SPC4500 is also enclosed within a dust cover (i.e. clear plastic bag).

This unit is solid! It weighs about 8 lbs. It is made of laser cut steel that is finished in a baked enamel. Look at the detail of the vents for the cooling fans! There is one per side.

The logos/decals on the unit are NOT stickers. They are actually part of the baked enamel finish. The only stickers on the unit are the serial number, the "Made in Taiwan" sticker and the quality control (QC) sticker. All the screws holding the unit together are allen head machine screws. This thing is QUALITY!

Each unit includes the 120V AC power cord, a small instruction manual, and two (2) 26V charging cables for the RC's.

Each of the four (4) slots has its own large, very visible, blue LED panel that indicates battery voltage. Each one is labeled "Smart Battery X." Below the large LED, each battery slot has a red "Deep Cycle" button and a small green LED that illuminates when the charging slot is ready to charge upon turning on the unit. The "deep cycle" function must be initiated by depressing the large red button. Deep cycling is to be done every 10 battery charges per the DJI manual page 22.

IMG_0060_zpsighrcxhq.jpg
[/URL]

Each battery charging slot has a small plastic dust cover (just like the one on the factory DJI charger) to cover the charging terminals. It is a bit difficulty to get it out at first, but once you've got it figured out, its straight forward.

I literally CANNOT say enough about this charger. I would gladly pay the price again ($499.00 at the time of this review). Some lucky people got it at $399.00 during the "pre-order" phase. It has made my life so much easier. I will be posting a video review shortly. It is in production/editing now.

BTW, I use mine at home and a shoots with a Honda EU2000i generator. Works like a dream!

If you order one of these, please tell Rich I sent you. Again, I get nothing out of it. Just want him to know. He and his staff are top notch.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Hello offtosleep, can you confirm that there is in fact two fans one on each side, my unit only came with one on the left side looking at the front but on the right side no fan at all?
Thanks in advance,
Carlo
My mistake. YOU are correct! It is just laser cut out on the right side to be symmetrical.

Sorry for the mistake.

My mistake. YOU are correct! It is just laser cut out on the right side to be symmetrical.

Sorry for the mistake.

No Problem, I was talking with Richie today and he wasn't aware there was a send fan, but I wanted to confirm with you.
Thanks for your time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop