Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Rotating around a point of interest...

Reaction score
Hi, I'd like to get more video shots where the camera is focused on a subject as it rotates around it.... I've got the dual remote setup and we were practicing this the other day... it isn't easy to do!

Thanks for any links or tips!

The best way I have found is to use a single controller. With the camera fixed straight ahead, you use a little lateral stick input combined with a little yaw. For example, right stick to left and left stick to right. The I1 with circle the POI while pointing at it.

The best way I have found is to use a single controller. With the camera fixed straight ahead, you use a little lateral stick input combined with a little yaw. For example, right stick to left and left stick to right. The I1 with circle the POI while pointing at it.

That sounds like its worth a try. I have been using approx. 45-70 deg camera angle in the direction of rotation, with single controller. For a more accurate orbit I set the max distance (if possible the HP at or about the center of the subject) at what looks best and fly with a lite pressure on the max distance line, using yaw to keep the subject centered... can be a little tricky in the wind...

Isnt there a setting in the plot app to where the camera follows the last poi? I found this out the hard way on my first flight. One of the buttons on the back of the controller was accidentally pressed activating follow poi. When I hit the button again it brought the camera back to fpv mode.

That sounds like its worth a try. I have been using approx. 45-70 deg camera angle in the direction of rotation, with single controller. For a more accurate orbit I set the max distance (if possible the HP at or about the center of the subject) at what looks best and fly with a lite pressure on the max distance line, using yaw to keep the subject centered... can be a little tricky in the wind...

Thanks for posting... I like the max distance trick... should make it easier to make a nice circle :)

Thanks!

Has anyone else found a good speed to use. I've tried slower speeds but once I review the footage, I'm finding the smoothness just isn't there and you can see the micro adjustments the aircraft is making. We've also tried masking this with the 2nd controller but it stills appears to be present. Are people finding the faster speeds are producing the better results?

Has anyone else found a good speed to use. I've tried slower speeds but once I review the footage, I'm finding the smoothness just isn't there and you can see the micro adjustments the aircraft is making. We've also tried masking this with the 2nd controller but it stills appears to be present. Are people finding the faster speeds are producing the better results?
The best speed is 5m/s (10mph) for smoothness. The DJI GO app is not that accurate as you suggest. Autopilot provide a much more stable tracking of the POI.

Reactions: IrishSights
Thanks Scott, I haven't taken a look at Autopilot yet. If you install it do you forget about the DJI GO app completely? And would that be the same for the 2nd control also?
Thanks again
Eamon

Thanks Scott, I haven't taken a look at Autopilot yet. If you install it do you forget about the DJI GO app completely? And would that be the same for the 2nd control also?
Thanks again
Eamon
The DJI SDK does not allow 2 apps to run concurrently. I tend to start with the DJI GO app to record details like battery voltage/power levels and set camera exposure, shutdown GO app (double clicking Home button and swiping up), starting in Autopilot with pre-saved flight plan, engage and take off with Autopilot and fly, on landing, I then shutdown Autopilot and switch to GO app to capture the battery and flight times. Autopilot does log flights and will upload automatically to HealthyDrones if you are tethering to a iPhone for the internet. The Slave RC can monitor a flight but cannot control the camera/gimbal. I have yet to find a way to adjust the exposure in Autopilot (which can be a real pain if you work in manual as I do).

Interesting, so not a complete solution. Personally for me apart from the obvious camera improvements, having the 2nd controller/camera operator has been the biggest leap from my old Phantom, so to lose that would be a pain unless I was flying solo. I'll give it a go and see what happens, thanks for the tip on the POI speed, I'll have a play and see if I can get something that works a little better.

Btw, just seen some of your photos online, really nice work.

Reactions: Scotflieger
Give autopilot a try, it is awesome and I really like it. The interface is sometimes confusing but you will figure it out after some training. You will not miss the GO App...

Chris

Reactions: EamonUrtone
Much better to fly manually if you have the skill to do it.
Plus you have immediate access if you encounter a problem.
Generally I agree. However there are situations when an auto flight orbit is better. When I do 3D models of large buildings where several complete 360 deg very wide orbits are required it's impossible to do it manually...

1. Holding the centre focus point accurately over that length of circle circumference is not that easy to get the required overlap in the images, even for seasoned pilots.

2. The DJI GO apps inervalometer is only 5 sec min, less is needed, as is available in the auto flight SDK apps.

3. It's accurately repeatable.

Finger is always on the the PAF switch so manual intervention is always immediately available.

It's about getting the job done, not necessarily about showing you have the skill to fly an orbit manually.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry