Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Sad experiences with Autopilot and Litchi

Reaction score
Website
www.video-vermont.com
Have just been practicing Waypoint and Focus flying with my Inspire 1 Pro x5 camera.

I have been using both Litchi and Hangar's Autopilot and comparing the results from the two.

I specifically questioned Litchi on their FB page about whether the Inspire's camera could be controlled independently from the direction the Inspire was flying. The answer came back that it can only be done in Litchi Focus mode. But it seems this is not so. I couldn't get the camera to track me or a subject at all!

In Waypoint mode, the camera is controlled by the heading of the Inspire. It cannot be controlled independly.

In Waypoint mode with Autopilot, the camera again seems to rely on the direction of the aircraft. Autopilot shines however in Focus Mode. You can get wonderful cinematic tracking. The only trouble is you have to have the camera is Auto mode for all Autoflight modes with no control over focus tweaking and no peaking to check focus.
Have these software companies abandoned any further development of the Inspire's independent camera?
Anyone else care to verify my findings?

Without being aware of the shots you were trying to achieve through your practice I'm curious if you tried out using camera triggers in Waypoint Mode with Autopilot. With that combination you can achieve camera movement which you specify independent of flight path.

I believe Hangar is still settling things after their acquisition of Auto Flight Logic but I sure hope they continue to develop and support their offering.

I just purchased Autopilot a few days ago. I am impressed so far but experienced a glitch repeatedly that whenever I touched on the map in the dji beta version the entire app crashed on my iphone, fortunately this wasnt during flight just during my learning curve while grounded. If it happened mid flight I would freak out.

I just purchased Autopilot a few days ago. I am impressed so far but experienced a glitch repeatedly that whenever I touched on the map in the dji beta version the entire app crashed on my iphone, fortunately this wasnt during flight just during my learning curve while grounded. If it happened mid flight I would freak out.
I have exactly the same experience with the latest beta version.

I have to admit that I fear upon turning age 57 I have stepped one foot over the threshold of understanding technology. It’s a downhill slope that leads to the day when I can no longer coordinate the three remotes it takes to turn on the news. That being said;
Is there a way to run Autopilot on an older (2015) wifi but no cellular ipad - I thought I read somewhere that using airspace I can send the gps function from my phone to my ipad, thereby allowing Autopilot to function as if I had an ipad with both gps and barometer?
Please keep your answers semi but not overly technical!

The gimbal does move independently on the Inspire:
Why does Autopilot yaw the entire aircraft instead of just the gimbal on aircraft types with 360-degree gimbal yaw capability, such as the Inspire 1?

As for active development, we are still very much working on AP. Just yesterday we released Mapping Mission Format in Waypoint Mode (in beta).
Do you have any observations on the which setting (gimbal yaw vs AC yaw) has better accuracy and/or smoothness?

I also have a suggestion/request - in my experience, the when following a path in waypoint mode, the AC makes very aggressive pitch/roll movements when accelerating/decelerating or changing course. It almost seems like it either at zero pitch/roll when no change in course/speed is required or max pitch/roll when even the slightest change is required. In my experience, this results in jerky movements which can effect shot smoothness. It would be great if you can implement a more gradual, smoothed out algorithm/interpolation for maintaining or changing course & speed.

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
russiananytime