Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Safety clips for props causing jello. I think?

Reaction score
Never had a problem with the i1 before - always rock solid footage. I decided to get those simple snap-on clips for the props anyway, just to be safe. Went and flew a job for a client (of course it had to be a paying job) and there was jello in the footage I had never seen before.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Just shot a quick test. Took the drone up and banked it left and right, forward and back pretty hard. First without the clips and then with. The footage without is solid. The footage with exhibits the slightest bit of roll in the footage when I bank left to right. The job I did for the client was on a really windy day and my test was during very calm conditions so that's probably why I didn't get the jello in my test but there is that bit of wobble.

Never had a problem with the i1 before - always rock solid footage. I decided to get those simple snap-on clips for the props anyway, just to be safe. Went and flew a job for a client (of course it had to be a paying job) and there was jello in the footage I had never seen before.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Just shot a quick test. Took the drone up and banked it left and right, forward and back pretty hard. First without the clips and then with. The footage without is solid. The footage with exhibits the slightest bit of roll in the footage when I bank left to right. The job I did for the client was on a really windy day and my test was during very calm conditions so that's probably why I didn't get the jello in my test but there is that bit of wobble.
Never had an issue - ever.
Have you checked the little piece of foam is attached to the inside of each clip?
It is possible that dynamic hub balance is being thrown out slightly I guess from maybe a badly manufactured clip
Think it will be a trial an error replacement strategy to see if you can locate the offending one. If indeed that is the problem.
Assume you have checked that free play in the arms hasn't got worse over time? If so you will need to shim them.

Me too, been using them for 2 years, no problem. Started using the quick locks again for a big sports event job that required very quick changing of locations. No difference at all.

At first I was like, "um...what foam?" but yeah, just checked all of them and foam intact. I'm suspecting a motor balance issue as well but considering I've never had an issue before the clips (don't fix what ain't broke) I think I'll leave well enough alone. But I will check the free play in the arms so thanks for that tip.

Not sure how the clips would cause jello effect. I could see if they caused scan lines in the video when shooting toward the sun (because of reflection off the clips) but not jello. Jello has to do with the image being scanned by the sensor at a different (out of sync) rate that is being recorded.

If you ARE getting jello, using an ND filter to keep your shutter at 1/60 (for 29 fps) or 1/50 (for 24 fps) should eliminate any jello (if that's actually what you're getting).

Not sure how the clips would cause jello effect. I could see if they caused scan lines in the video when shooting toward the sun (because of reflection off the clips) but not jello. Jello has to do with the image being scanned by the sensor at a different (out of sync) rate that is being recorded.

If you ARE getting jello, using an ND filter to keep your shutter at 1/60 (for 29 fps) or 1/50 (for 24 fps) should eliminate any jello (if that's actually what you're getting).
Vibration can cause rolling shutter or 'jello' since the entire sensor is not being scanned in one go (it's not a global shutter).
It is feasible (although I've never seen it) that a prop clip or similar upsets the dynamic balance of the motor housing thus causing vibration to be transmitted through the the airframe to the camera/sensor.
Unlikely but physically possible I guess. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide