Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Setting Home Point Warning

Reaction score
IM not sure if you guys have expereinced this or not. but def make sure your home point is actually set to your location and the app says home point set after you manually try to set it. I did my second flight today and was trying to set my home point before taking off it kept showing my home point set to my first location from the first flight about 400 feet away. it kept saying home point not set. I killed the app power cycled the controller and inspire same thing would not set home point when all was up and running again. I had full GPS signal as well. I tried moving locations no joy. I decided to start the motors take off about 5 feet off the ground and land and then as soon as i did home point was locked to my new location. I double checked by locking it to my controller and my home point was in the correct location on the map this time. so long story short just double check its actually locked to your location. and if it won't you can try what i did. I think i remember others saying this about the phantom but I don't quite remember. is this normal or an odd occurance ?

IM not sure if you guys have expereinced this or not. but def make sure your home point is actually set to your location and the app says home point set after you manually try to set it. I did my second flight today and was trying to set my home point before taking off it kept showing my home point set to my first location from the first flight about 400 feet away. it kept saying home point not set. I killed the app power cycled the controller and inspire same thing would not set home point when all was up and running again. I had full GPS signal as well. I tried moving locations no joy. I decided to start the motors take off about 5 feet off the ground and land and then as soon as i did home point was locked to my new location. I double checked by locking it to my controller and my home point was in the correct location on the map this time. so long story short just double check its actually locked to your location. and if it won't you can try what i did. I think i remember others saying this about the phantom but I don't quite remember. is this normal or an odd occurance ?

With the Phantom it's required that the drone flies at least 20 feet from take off point to set home point for RTH or Fail Safe. I imagine that it might be the same with the FC of the Inspire. Only difference is that now you can reset home point while the Inspire is flying in Dynamic Home Point mode

i think the inspire resets home point very frequently,(like every half second?) so depending on what you are using as your home point it will set it as soon as you are in the air. remember,it is designed to be able to use the remote as a dynamic home point so it keeps resetting it very quickly.
i am interested in a test,walking along at a moderate pace when having the transmitter set as home point and seeing how it returns to home. it should land very close to you.

i think the inspire resets home point very frequently,(like every half second?) so depending on what you are using as your home point it will set it as soon as you are in the air. remember,it is designed to be able to use the remote as a dynamic home point so it keeps resetting it very quickly.
i am interested in a test,walking along at a moderate pace when having the transmitter set as home point and seeing how it returns to home. it should land very close to you.
Interesting. I guess I'm just afraid to take off when the apps screaming at me home point not set. I could just see it now. it flys away and they say well wasn't your home point set ? did you hit rth
guess I'm just leery as i had a vision + ver 3 fly away from a hover after it ran a way point route. it just took off at full speed at a 90 degree angle over 300 feet then into the ground.its on its way back to dii.
trusting this system will take some getting used to. Loosing money is one thing. it flying away and hurting someone or something is another.

I will say this quad is much much more powerful and more sensitive to user input. you can def tell its heft in the air over a phantom.

i must admit,i would think it would set a home point when on the ground first..i just know it keeps resetting it constantly.
maybe some others will chime in with other experience as i don't have mine yet and when i did fly one i did not notice it being set when on the ground..i should have looked more carefully. i should have said above reset when in the air..not set.
the good thing is if it has lost the home point it can be set by the user in the air.
i think the home point is less of an issue than gps lock and a calibrated compass. you can always set a home point manually..but loss of gps signal seems to be more of a fly away issue. home point is merely where it returns to if you lose control. if you don't lose control but have no home point you can still land as far as i know.

Yea I cold just see the situation where someone takes off only goes a few feet looses gps for whatever reason no home point is set and fly away happens then because of a communication failure home point can't be set mid air . I don't think i will ever fly without the home point being set to where I am when i take off.

Why would anyone choose anything but dynamic home point now that it can do it? Even if you don't move an inch the whole time, wouldn't the RC gps be more trustworthy anyway? I plan on using dynamic home point as a default unless it's shows itself to be less reliable.

Why would anyone choose anything but dynamic home point now that it can do it? Even if you don't move an inch the whole time, wouldn't the RC gps be more trustworthy anyway? I plan on using dynamic home point as a default unless it's shows itself to be less reliable.
dynamic home point was on so your saying you would just fly freely even though your home point showed 400 yards away from where you actually were ? i for one will not I want my Little H on the map to be where i was actually at when i take off

No, I wouldn't do that. Re-reading your first post it seems like you weren't in dynamic home point at first. Regardless, no- I would not prefer to take flight without an accurate home point lock first. It seems odd that it would be necessary to lift off first to get a home point.

No, I wouldn't do that. Re-reading your first post it seems like you weren't in dynamic home point at first. Regardless, no- I would not prefer to take flight without an accurate home point lock first. It seems odd that it would be necessary to lift off first to get a home point.
yea I tried both modes and it would not set the home point to my current location. until i lifted off. kinda strange like the IMU cal

ok more test this morning. home point was set each time as soon as the motors are started did not have to be airborne. . it will not set home point with the motors off. guess that solves that issue. or non issue.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
It will set home point once rotors spin up. I have not had any success setting dynamic home point at all from the controller or the aircraft's position once it leaves the initial point. I think it's bug in the software. So it acts like a P2 for now. But faster, and only once rotors spin up.

I'm having trouble understanding some features, maybe you guys can help me out. Upon setting my return to home location I get this warning :Screenshot_2015-02-11-19-28-58.png
I dont understand the 0.0ft part. Does this include landing as 0.0? I set my return to home altititude to 25m so im confused

Reactions: turbodronepilot
yea I tried both modes and it would not set the home point to my current location. until i lifted off. kinda strange like the IMU cal

Are you using auto-take off mode? I know that when I use manual takeoff by starting motors with CSC that it sets Home Point before I lift it in the air, assuming I have GPS lock.

I prefer the non-dynamic home point. For my style, only one fixed home point is needed....where the bird took off. I haven't had to rely on RTH to date. I only fly in ATTI mode and LOS. And, I never need the auto take off and auto landing gimmick.

I always do the landing and take-off manually,it's one off the most funnyl things when flying the Inspire.Seeing the landing gear going up or down and do your thing.

Your screen shot tells me that you are not connected to the Inspire, so how would it be able to set Home Point?

My inspire says this exact same thing fully connected, in the field. I was simply re creating the event from home to show you all. Still don't know what the minimum flight alt. Of 0.0 means

You will not be able to set homepoint before motors are armed. This option is for a manual homepoint at the crafts current location. Not when it's on the ground. The craft will set homepoint automatically onced armed . This is why it's very important to wait for fullsat bars .

Dynamic home is still in its early stages. So if you choose to use it, I would just be aware of the updated home point via the map.

Reactions: Soflms

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters