Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Some play when twisting arms on Inspire 2

Reaction score
Ok so recently I had the dreaded problem of the props contacting the battery, I read a few things online and was able to fix the problem by tightening and applying loctite to the torx screw at the end of the connecting rod (sorry I have no idea what these parts are actually called).

During this I noticed there's a significant amount of play in the entire mechanism leading back to the centre of the craft. To help understand what I'm talking about, imagine holding your inspire by the rear legs with the bird facing away from you, and twisting your hands.

I never really noticed this before so I'm not sure if this is normal, or if there's something that should be inspected/tightened.
Let me know how your Inspire feels and if there's anything you did to tighten things up!

Ok so recently I had the dreaded problem of the props contacting the battery, I read a few things online and was able to fix the problem by tightening and applying loctite to the torx screw at the end of the connecting rod (sorry I have no idea what these parts are actually called).

During this I noticed there's a significant amount of play in the entire mechanism leading back to the centre of the craft. To help understand what I'm talking about, imagine holding your inspire by the rear legs with the bird facing away from you, and twisting your hands.

I never really noticed this before so I'm not sure if this is normal, or if there's something that should be inspected/tightened.
Let me know how your Inspire feels and if there's anything you did to tighten things up!
Hello, I checked my Inspire 2 looking for the game you speak of and I don't feel any looseness, you leave me a bit surprised by what you say about your Inspire... it is possible that you can attach photographs of the point you speak of where you want or you have applied the glue, the points that you notice that have game in your Inspire2, I am attentive to your comments. Greetings.!

Some people have noticed the same and no matter how much they tried to tighten the hex screw and how much lockite the put there it did not help. The reason why it did not help was simple. The crew has bottomed out, it was simply too long!! Check yours, file about 1mm off it and try to tighten it then. A tiny amount of Locktite won't hurt... Report back 🙂

Some people have noticed the same and no matter how much they tried to tighten the hex screw and how much lockite the put there it did not help. The reason why it did not help was simple. The crew has bottomed out, it was simply too long!! Check yours, file about 1mm off it and try to tighten it then. A tiny amount of Locktite won't hurt... Report back 🙂
Hello Mmarian..! Can you help me by telling me in more detail about that game in the arms of the Inspire2.?...If you would be so kind as to show me through photographs to give me a clearer idea of where that game or looseness of which you speak occurs, I do not notice in my Inspire2 has some play in his arms so I want to be clear where that play is coming from so I can be vigilant when inspecting my gear before each flight. Thank you so much.

Hello Mmarian..! Can you help me by telling me in more detail about that game in the arms of the Inspire2.?...If you would be so kind as to show me through photographs to give me a clearer idea of where that game or looseness of which you speak occurs, I do not notice in my Inspire2 has some play in his arms so I want to be clear where that play is coming from so I can be vigilant when inspecting my gear before each flight. Thank you so much.
When looking at your I2 from the front the left and right prop tips should line up nicely facing each other, like on the second photo. You can try to twist the arms by holding the motors and see how much play is there. Ideally you should not be able to twist the arms by applying a moderate force by hand too much. If the CF tube is loose in its collar mount you will notice that the tips of the props will not face each other anymore and if they stay that way and the difference is more than 1/4 to 1/2" after you release the twisting force on the motors, it would indicate that you actually twisted the CF tube in its collar mount. The first photo shows the screw which is suppose to squeeze the collar mount tight enough to prevent the CF tube from turning in its mount. This screw however is sometimes too long and bottoms out. No matter how much you tighten it, it will not squeeze the collar around the CF tube. If that is the case you would need to shorten the screw by about 1mm. That is the "game" of the potential issue and solution how to fix it.

Attachments

• 20220213_153638.jpg
    20220213_153638.jpg
    753.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220213_153900.jpg
    20220213_153900.jpg
    634.3 KB · Views: 8
When looking at your I2 from the front the left and right prop tips should line up nicely facing each other, like on the second photo. You can try to twist the arms by holding the motors and see how much play is there. Ideally you should not be able to twist the arms by applying a moderate force by hand too much. If the CF tube is loose in its collar mount you will notice that the tips of the props will not face each other anymore and if they stay that way and the difference is more than 1/4 to 1/2" after you release the twisting force on the motors, it would indicate that you actually twisted the CF tube in its collar mount. The first photo shows the screw which is suppose to squeeze the collar mount tight enough to prevent the CF tube from turning in its mount. This screw however is sometimes too long and bottoms out. No matter how much you tighten it, it will not squeeze the collar around the CF tube. If that is the case you would need to shorten the screw by about 1mm. That is the "game" of the potential issue and solution how to fix it.

Mmarian: I am very grateful for the detailed Yam information you have sent me. I did the inspection on my Inspire2 and I don't have that problem. I can see in one of your photographs that you have installed folding propellers on your Inspire2, what brand are they...?...and how did they turn out, do you recommend them?...Greetings!

Mmarian: I am very grateful for the detailed Yam information you have sent me. I did the inspection on my Inspire2 and I don't have that problem. I can see in one of your photographs that you have installed folding propellers on your Inspire2, what brand are they...?...and how did they turn out, do you recommend them?...Greetings!
No problem, happy to explain.
I have the Koptermax folding props from HeliEngadin. I believe that many people who have decided to go with folding props use either the Koptermax or the T-Motor folding props.
I am very happy with the Koptermax, no issues at all and I do not need to deal with the rattling DJI props anymore. I2 with Koptermax props fits in the DJI case after a bit of the foam cut out from the lid section of the case. I do not have any experience with T-Motor props, someone else might chime in.

Here’s a pro tip: never do the transform with the aircraft sitting on the floor , ie don’t let the feet be dragged across the floor. I always hold the aircraft with one hand and do the transform in mid air.

Here’s a pro tip: never do the transform with the aircraft sitting on the floor , ie don’t let the feet be dragged across the floor. I always hold the aircraft with one hand and do the transform in mid air.
1000% in agreement!! I do the same. Letting I2 to do the transformation from landing to transport and vice versa on the ground puts undue stress on the actuator/servo and the entire structure. The legs are dragged along the ground during the transformation and thas is NOT good for the drone and the actuator! Especially if the legs are on a hard and uneven surface i.e. grass or rocky ground or even on a bitumem. That is causing huge resistance against which the tiny actuator tries to push.
ALWAYS LIFT THE DRONE OFF THE GROUND immediately after you press the power button 5x !!
Good practice which pays off in the long run and it will prevent premature failure of the actuator.

Last edited:
Reactions: hhung516

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop