Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Stock to FPVLR to DBS antenna mod comparison.

for the ones that have an infinite curious soul and have done this mod, you are now free to start testing the myriad of antennas out there.

i would like at some point replace the antennas on the inspire for Circular Polarised antennas and use an helical on the remote to increase penetration.

but i just tested with a couple of these and boy...did penetration improved!!! the big down side off course is that its a much more directional antenna so you have to looking at the radar and playing the role of human antenna tracker. but i was able to go behind a small building (in ruins) and i had total control and full video signal!!.

IMG_0069.2.jpg

Where are you flying? Are there any trees, houses, hills, or any other obstructions in front of you and if so what? I had to increase my height during the end of the flight to stay at full bars to hit 3+ miles. There are houses in front of me so eventually they block the signal when past 10K feet. I have a couple additional flight path's I need to try out but 3 miles is pretty much the max I can get from my backyard. A lot of these guys are flying on completely flat land without any obstructions or trees that would otherwise absorb the reception.

If you can safely increase your height past 7K, you should be able to hit close to 3 miles. But you might have to go above the legal limit in order to achieve more than 7K. With my DBS I get much more linear reduction in signal so I have a bit of warning to increase my height. With the FPVLR's the signal drop is typically immediate.

I can only get 7000 feet with my stage 2 on inspire. Ordered the DBS I'll try that and see how it works

Reactions: sirnikolas
On auto channel stating I get about 3500 feet the only way I can get to 7000 is on manual channel 20 with just below that dropped fro 6 to 2 I can't remember what that's called 2 being slowest for longer ranges is what I read

Take a screen shot of the app when you are getting signal loss. It could be an issue with the controller mod install as I had an issue with mine that was latter corrected. You should be able to do 3 miles on flat land with no obstructions with out much difficulty. What version of the app are you using?

On auto channel stating I get about 3500 feet the only way I can get to 7000 is on manual channel 20 with just below that dropped fro 6 to 2 I can't remember what that's called 2 being slowest for longer ranges is what I read

Take a screen shot of the app when you are getting signal loss. It could be an issue with the controller mod install as I had an issue with mine that was latter corrected. You should be able to do 3 miles on flat land with no obstructions with out much difficulty. What version of the app are you using?
Newest version of app sorry for the bad quality of picture. This was when I was on Chanel 20 set to 4 got a little further7000 when changed to 2image.jpg

It looks from the radar graph that you are not lined up from the controller to the inspire. When taking off, make sure you unlock the map and that both arrows are pointing in the same direction. The Red radar arrow should remain centered in the graph during the whole flight. If it is off centered around 7000-8000 feet that would explain your signal drop as the i1 is no longer in direct line of sight to the controller. This should help you achieve maximum distance.

I have included a picture so you can compare. The red arrow (radar) on the left should be centered like that during the entire flight. Except when you return home, the arrow will still be centered but pointing in the opposite direction. Hope this helps!

IMG_0006 - Copy (2).jpg

Newest version of app sorry for the bad quality of picture. This was when I was on Chanel 20 set to 4 got a little further7000 when changed to 2View attachment 3019

Last edited:
It looks from the radar graph that you are not lined up from the controller to the inspire. When taking off, make sure you unlock the map and that both arrows are pointing in the same direction. The Red radar arrow should remain centered in the graph during the whole flight. If it is off centered around 7000-8000 feet that would explain your signal drop as the i1 is no longer in direct line of sight to the controller. This should help you achieve maximum distance.

I have included a picture so you can compare. The red arrow (radar) on the left should be centered like that during the entire flight. Except when you return home, the arrow will still be centered but pointing in the opposite direction. Hope this helps!

View attachment 3024
I will give it a try and let you know thanks for the help I really appreciate it

Reactions: dreadwing
The new firmware adds about 1000 ft to the FPVLR range without the amps. That is the only configuration I'm am using now, so I haven't bothered to test the others.

Reactions: dreadwing
I will give it a try and let you know thanks for the help I really appreciate it
Just installed my dbs with no amps. It smokes the lpvr with amps. Very happy I only had a tb47 battery charged and it's a little windy so I didn't push it but went to 8000 ft only 250 ft altitude had full signal can't wait to try out more. And I forgot to unlock map so compass and red arrow were not lined up so when I do that and get a 48 charged with some altitude should be really good. Don't know if my fplvr kit is messed up or what but dbs is way better and lighter not having to mess with the battery's is really nice very happy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan