Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Stock to FPVLR to DBS antenna mod comparison.

Just installed my dbs with no amps. It smokes the lpvr with amps. Very happy I only had a tb47 battery charged and it's a little windy so I didn't push it but went to 8000 ft only 250 ft altitude had full signal can't wait to try out more. And I forgot to unlock map so compass and red arrow were not lined up so when I do that and get a 48 charged with some altitude should be really good. Don't know if my fplvr kit is messed up or what but dbs is way better and lighter not having to mess with the battery's is really nice very happy

I am really interested in your findings because I would love to buy the dbs on your recommendation, (don't wanna mess with amps and batteries).
Did you get a chance to do some more testing?

I've been watching this thread with great interest and don't want to hijack but came across another system and definitely wanted the opinion of those posting. If this is the wrong arena please let me know and I'll start a new thread. The system can be purchased on eBay or directly from the companies web site. The system described below with the 4800mah battery is $249 uninstalled and they also have another system for $279 which has a similar description but includes a 6800 mah battery. It may also include other items but if so they've alluded me so far.

Everyone has been asking...SO HERE IT IS! Everything in 1 kit for complete Control and FPV Video upgrade. Its all included, except the DJI remote.

• Flying in a Wi-Fi congested area? Not getting full remote control range or FPV Video? The Sunhans boosters will solve that problem. Best setup for boosting stock Control and FPV/ Video signal.
  • The OFFICIAL US Sunhans Authorized Seller and UAV enthusiast. NEW 2015 stock just in!
  • FREE upgrade to 1-3 day Expedited shipping.
  • FREE English setup support. NO Soldering required. 2 Booster kit gives you 2 standard RP-SMA antenna connectors, so you can swap out whatever antennas fit your flying style.
**Included is (2) 2.4GHz 2.5W boosters, (2) 6 dBi Omni directional antennas, (2) RP-SMA booster cables, (2) MMCX to RP-SMA internal antenna cables, (2) Sunhans DC Power Adapters, (1) 3-1 DC Splitter, (1) 4800mAh Battery Pack and (2) AC power supplies.

Based in Houston Texas, REX Technology & Solutions, LLC is focused on WiFi Booster and 3G/4G Repeaters. We carry in stock, the latest equipment and provide fast shipping and English technical support.

We are engineers and users ourselves enjoying pushing the limits of wireless technology. We will work with you to help solve your application needs. From better router signals to UAVs, just let us know what we can do to help.
View attachment 3267 View attachment 3268
Hey Chnjab. .welcome to inspirepilots.com. ..
Looks like a cool addition to our long range options,but
at this point it looks like it's hard to beat the dbs mod ...
Guys are only getting 1000 feet more distance with the dbs antennas with boosters ..that's probably why dbs doesn't offer boosters at this point..
This kit looks like the fpvlr kit except the fpvlr antennas use helix coil antennas and this one uses omni directional antennas ..

Reactions: sirnikolas
I'm not sure why your i1 doesn't have similar range as your p3..
Most inspires get more than a mile easy on stock antennas. .I've heard up to three miles on stock antennas in unobstructed areas. ..
There has been a few reports about pilots getting really poor range ,but I'm not sure exactly why..
One possibility is there's a problem with the lightbridge system or maybe there's something that needs to be turned on or off in the app or the tablet. .
it's hard to say for sure...

Well, this HAS my interest. I have two controllers for Inspire and one for the P3P
I'm thinking best is to fit my second I1 controller and make it my primary P3P controller and if works well, change to I1 primary. My I1 is @ DJI LA Spa for motor repairs and I'm limping along with a P3P that looses lightbridge signal constantly. Any thoughts on this plan?
Well that is what I am planing to do also ( I just ordered the DBS Mods), I have been using my Inspire 1 slave controller for my P3 because I can hook my Zeiss cinemizer on it, and it is no problem to use as the slave controller for the Inspire 1 again.

I did my own antenna mod and install connectors to the drone of the radio, see photos.
Put in cheap $20 antennas and got drone out to 15K ft with full bars on controller and video signals, was little scary but could of gone more, still full bars all the way.
Not trying to bash BDS or FPVLR brands, they are great upgrades, but at this point battery is the limit.
I decided to do my own antenna mod and got me site going: DroneLink antenna MOD

Check out my long distance video and photos of my mod,

Attachments

• DroneLink DJI controller antenna mod 3.jpg
    DroneLink DJI controller antenna mod 3.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 61
  • DroneLink DJI controller antenna mod 1.jpg
    DroneLink DJI controller antenna mod 1.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 72
I get great distance and penetration with the DBS Itelite Antenna on the inspire. I am sure the fpvlr kits are comparable. May try a fpvlr on the matrice!

I get great distance and penetration with the DBS Itelite Antenna on the inspire. I am sure the fpvlr kits are comparable. May try a fpvlr on the matrice!
Hi,
Same for me, I have DBSmods on both master & slave, night and day difference from stock!!
I can't say anything about FPVLR, as I haven't tried them at all, but I can say that I am very pleased from the performance of the DBS mods.
I don't fly for distance, I'm most interested in not having my video link drop out. I fly almost strictly LOS, almost always with a spotter as well so I can focus on camera work.
Most of my flying is single operator, but for dual, the mods have made all the difference.
I was experiencing very weak video if I turned the aircraft while filming, almost every flight.
more than 90% of my flights are over open water, almost zero obstacles, but I couldn't rely on my video link.
Sent both tx's to DBS on a monday, had them back on friday, I paid expedited shipping both ways, and the results changed the whole game for me. This is how I've always expected the i1 to perform.

I've tested .5 - .75 miles, no obstructions, can do full 360 with aircraft and not notice a difference. Also, the latency i was experiencing is gone, I can't detect lag at all anymore.

I can also say, dealing with DBS has been excellent. We had a little issue with a tx, and he took care of it without question and as fast as possible, 2 days.

I flew this am, over the ocean in PR, was a 2nd inspire out at the surf break and he couldn't believe the stability of my video link. He has been having the same issues I was experiencing before the upgrade. I've had my upgrade since august, and almost forgot about what it was like before.

If you're on the fence about upgrading, to either system, all I can say is don't wait any longer than you have to.
Craig

Reactions: SuperPete
Thanks for all the info. It sounds like FPVLR is making a statement that his range without amps and battery is EQUAL or BETTER than DBS. So what is the true story here? I am buying one of these mods today... any want to sell their hardware used?

Question to technicians, what is the actual RF difference between NON-AMP NON-Battery DBS/FPVLR mod?
Someone with skill here has a meter or picture image of the RF frequency emitting off these two mods. My friend USAdrone has this tech and I'll ask him if no one here has the real data. It seems SILLY to me that FPVLR and DBS are stating theirs are superior with range that is better without the battery or amps. That makes absolutely NO SENSE.

Heres the take home question I have: what is inside the DBS mod antennae that is different from the helical FPVLR mod? Has anyone taken the plastic off? Picture if you have one please!

Chris

Thanks for all the info. It sounds like FPVLR is making a statement that his range without amps and battery is EQUAL or BETTER than DBS. So what is the true story here? I am buying one of these mods today... any want to sell their hardware used?

Question to technicians, what is the actual RF difference between NON-AMP NON-Battery DBS/FPVLR mod?
Someone with skill here has a meter or picture image of the RF frequency emitting off these two mods. My friend USAdrone has this tech and I'll ask him if no one here has the real data. It seems SILLY to me that FPVLR and DBS are stating theirs are superior with range that is better without the battery or amps. That makes absolutely NO SENSE.

Heres the take home question I have: what is inside the DBS mod antennae that is different from the helical FPVLR mod? Has anyone taken the plastic off? Picture if you have one please!

Chris
I forgot to mention, I also added the

Chris
I forgot to mention, I also added the cables recommended
SMA male to RP-SMA male both right angle RF lot RG402 Semi Flexible blue Cable
in this thread
New Lightbridge antenna system....video inside.... | Page 8 | DJI Inspire Forum

I asked DBS about them when I was having the mods done and he agreed that they would be an improvement over the ones included in the mod.

FPVLR is making that statement, no one seems to argue it, I can't say anything about his product, but no one that has them seems to be complaining. I just stumbled upon the thread in the link above and pulled the trigger.

Reactions: jmedema
Excellent. The shorter blue sma cables have shielding and less interference. Thank you very much! You guys are great!

I installed the DBS Mod and am very happy with it as for as range, I also feel if everyone's that make these extended range antennas is around the same efficiency then you will be trading range for how exact you need to be pointing at your aircraft. The DBS did what I wanted it to do and as long as you point it in the general direction of the air craft it works good.

DBSMODS has a 90 degree transmission span as opposed to 60 degrees by FPVLR.
This is crucial as 90 degrees is much safer to fly with. Both are good but DBSMODS is safer and gives you the ability to transmitt through tree branches. I have even landed 1/4 mile away on the other side of buildings and reset the home point and took off back to the original location! That says a lot!
DBSMODS is not on here pushing the argument because Chuck's equipment speaks for itself. No need to defend what is already considered the best system.

Reactions: slim.slamma
@FPVLR - I have asked you numerous times to contact site admin regarding advertising and self promotion of your products.
If you do not want to become an approved vendor that is your decision however any more posts either promoting or linking to your products will be deleted.

Yes, my mother owns her parents old chicken farm, two of those long commercial houses, pond and pasture.
My aunts and uncle own the adjacent
82 acres. Most is cleared pasture and farm fields and it is a great place to fly. I left the pasture and flew over the chicken houses and landed. Cut motors, restarted, it set the new home point, I took off and flew around a bit. Wide open country in Moore county, NC.

I have also done a comparison of all 4 varitations. Stock, FPVLR, FPVLR with Amps, DBS Mods and DBS Mods with Amps. I have only tested in my backyard with a fair amount of obstruction using almost an identical flight plan. My results have been:

(Time of day, signal interference, slight variations in flight path all contribute to max ranges)

Stock -> 3000-5000 Feet
FPVLR -> 4000-6000 Feet
FPVLR with Amps -> 8000-13000 feet
DBS Mod without Amps -> 9000 - 12000
DBS Mod on Amps -> 9000 - 13000 (Widest FOV and most penetration. Can fly all over neighborhood without having to point my remote)

Like Turbo mentioned, flight path and obstruction plays a huge part in reaching maximum range. The 5 Mile DBS video is on flat land with nothing to block the signal. I fly in open fields but have some houses in front of me that eventually block the range when I get close to 3 miles) This is because the signal from the inspire points down in an angle, so to overcome that restriction, i would need to fly at an illegal height. I am more than happy hitting 2+ miles flying from anywhere from within my back yard. I plan to do some additional testing on open land with less or no obstruction.

To conclude, my initial observation is that the DBS without amps is as good if not better than the FPVLR with amps but at half the cost.

hey if you had to purchase now , which would one would you buy?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fivafi