Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Stopping motors in the air

The rapid downward spiral of which I talk about in war zones is not limited to fighter planes but is also done by large commercial and cargo aircraft. .....
So, this IS a flight maneuver that IS done in the real world and that's a fact! ....
When both sticks are like this the AC will descend rapidly while rotating CW and moving in a descending clockwise corkscrew I do believe and this would be a possible way to achieve the war zone maneuver mentioned above.
Forget combat manoeuvres for fixed-wing aircraft. They are irrelevant for a multirotor.
The fixed wing craft do that to minimise their exposure during descent but a multirotor can descend vertically.
In case you find your drone being shot at and want to get down quickly, whether you spiral down or descend vertically, your vertical speed will not exceed 4 m/sec.

In normal flying you will never get close to initiating CSC unless you fly like a crazy chimp.
But, the idea of having the method for stopping the motors be tied to the operation of primary flight controls is shear lunacy and that to is a fact!
What is a fact is that hundreds of new flyers before you have discovered this, thought it makes no sense and posted their strong opinions on forums.
But with a little flying experience, they realise that accidental CSC just isn't going to happen unless you fly like a crazy chimp, in which case, you'd crash into something anyway.

I am an authorized dealer and I have actually been sharing emails with DJI lately addressing this very issue. I was descending rapidly due to a battery failure issue when in mid flight the motors shut off when the throttle was about 1/8" away from the bottom of the throw that is available on the throttle stick. A CSC command is a great idea for arming the motors but according to my experience lately when lowering the throttle stick only to a low position resulted in a disarm of the motors. I have several Inspire pro and phantoms etc. and I will be checking this on my other drones. I have constructed a catch net made from a fish sane to catch my drone . So basically I am going to hover above the net then lower the throttle stick and see where the cutoff is. Have any of my fellow flyers out there had an issue with the throttle stick in the lower position cutting power to the motors???.I would have thought you would need to lower it to the full bottom of the throw to disarm the motors. I don't recommend doing this to anyone. This is not an accepted maneuver and could result in a damaged drone. Hopefully this is a isolated problem with my machine, I would love to hear what you guys think. Thanks in advance for the help.
I was waiting to see if anyone would mentioned this . I concur, if you pull the throttle stick down (could be to 1/8 throttle) and hold for about 1 second it will shut off the motors. So when your landing be careful not to make too quick of a descent.
one other thing ,,, maybe I'm wrong but, I don't believe the I1 is made to be a "3D" Quad. doing spirals, flips and barrel rolls, especially with a 3 axis gimbal hanging from it. but I could be wrong.

I was waiting to see if anyone would mentioned this . I concur, if you pull the throttle stick down (could be to 1/8 throttle) and hold for about 1 second it will shut off the motors. So when your landing be careful not to make too quick of a descent.
,,, maybe I'm wrong ... but I could be wrong.
Completly wrong .. go back and read the thread
Left stick hard down WILL NOT kill your motors in flight.

I was waiting to see if anyone would mentioned this . I concur, if you pull the throttle stick down (could be to 1/8 throttle) and hold for about 1 second it will shut off the motors.

Oh my, not again.....

It does not shut down in flight with zero throttle!

I would send my Inspire in for repair if I were you.

Although it is indeed a good thing not to descend with zero throttle for aerodynamic reasons, it will (should) not kill your engines until 2 seconds after touchdown.
Unless you Inspire is not ok.

You make it sound that what you experience, is the normal way of things. New people here might decide, based on what they read from you, don't ever forget that, Only post things you know about, or admit that you don't know and are just guessing.

one other thing ,,, maybe I'm wrong but, I don't believe the I1 is made to be a "3D" Quad. doing spirals, flips and barrel rolls, especially with a 3 axis gimbal hanging from it. but I could be wrong.

Right and wrong.
It's only the software that prevents us from doing flips and rolls. If we would get full manual control, the I1 could do the most bizar things, with or without the gimbal in place.
So glad we only have as much as Atti. If we had true Manual mode we would have a lot (even more) of crashing first timers here. And to what point? To be able to flip like a 25$ toy?

Noooooooo......not the left stick down debate all over again!!!!! :mad:
So, poor old CSC is being left alone now and we have moved onto that other old favourite "Will holding the left stick down all the way whilst in flight stop the motors"
NO IT DOES NOT (for the 100th time)
The Inspire is designed in such a way that as long as the barometric data is changing holding down the left stick will not trigger motor shutdown.
IF your aircraft is exhibiting shutdown then you have a faulty I1. No ifs, no buts, it is faulty.
This particular subject never fails to amaze me as to why the controversy is still alive. It goes back to the early incarnations of the Naza flight controllers in the Phantoms where I first saw the questions appear. They didn't shut down under full left stick down either!
Guys, honestly, full left stick down does not shut the motors down until the aircraft is at rest (landed) and then it takes a couple of seconds to execute.

I descend with 100% down-stick often and for long periods and it NEVER turns off the motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same, I do decent at full speed sometimes when I have to, no issues with doing that, motors don't just turn off.. This thread had me a bit worried though..

Some people have said tb47's fail at 30% capasity and go strait to 0% with no warning only after 20 charges? It's been said that it's a defect. Weather it was a firmwear issue or calibration to cold I'm not sure. Could be a reason for the motors to stop mid flight.

I have been flying for many years and have been flying DJI from the beginning and I have never personally had that issue. I am also a dealer and out of all of my customers I have had about 3 defective batteries. Not bad in a 2 year period. I do know the cold does effect my flight time, but I use battery insulating stickers to help counteract the cold. In my personal opinion if a battery is doing that it's a bad battery plain and simple. I hope this helps in some way. I'm always around for anyone who needs any help. Safe flying my friend.

Ralph Rigdon
FlyHighUSA

Just picked up the 1s pro and bolth battery's were junk couldn't charge them or update them. Tb47s.

I'm paranoid when it comes to long descents. I'll pulse the controls on the way down instead of holding down. Supposingly holding down on the controls while flying won't kill the motors. I believe the vps needs to see or sonically hear the ground to enable this feature. The simulator verifies this. But I'm not testing it myself. I'll just keep to my paranoid pulsing.
During the flight test for my license we were taught to descend at a 45 degree angle so the props didn't run out of air.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah