Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

U.S Gov. to require drone registration

Of course people who want to do evil things won't be effected, but thats besides the point!
I don't think that's besides the point; I think that IS the point. This does nothing but inconvenience and intimidate well-meaning people.

My bet would be that most of the airport near misses
WHAT near-misses? Did you watch the YouTube link of the press-conference? Someone asked point-blank how many 'near misses' there have been, and they stammered and said "there's no doubt there have been a big increase in reports". They didn't even attempt to discuss any ballpark figure of the number of legitimate sightings or concerns. If they can't quantify a number, how is 'registration' going to fix the problem, or even be effective in locating the owner?

If by registering people are forced to have more understanding of safe operation and understand that they can be held accountable then hopefully the results will be positive.
You think that's the only way to force more understanding? Not one person is suggesting that we don't have an education problem. But this is heavy-handed, not to mention completely rushed. They have yet to make one sane decision around UAVs, and they want to have a registration program in place by Christmas. If that doesn't raise a whole host of internal concerns for you, perhaps you should be paying closer attention.

I don't really understand the pushback by everyone, to me it seems this is a positive move that will help generate more safe operators.

If the primary goal for the registration is for legitimate operational purposes then it is good but so far based on the video the DOT had clearly stated that the main purpose for the registration is find out who shall receive a civil lawsuit, and/or be classified as a criminal and receive a "stiff" fine or possible jail time.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Hey Paul Joy I would have to disagree on that statement I don't think anyone's flying over an airport on accident , those people know they're up to no good.

There are certainly a lot of unanswered questions but I think there also some sound points made. I just think that education and responsibility are the key to safe usage and a move to register drones with the NAA could be a good way to make sure people realise that they're not just playing with a fun toy but are actually sharing airspace with other air users which brings with it a small amount of paperwork.

Just my view though, to each their own.

True , another thing is this could hurt sales people could look at this hobby now and not want to be bothered with the hassle.

So drones will be restricted but guns no?
Ha only in usa
Guns are actually pretty well regulated here in NY and I have no issue with that as a person who conceal carries everyday. Extensive background checks and a 6 month wait. Hopefully quads won't require the same.

I agree the FAA needs to get off their butts and get a handle on this. Soon many more people will be purchasing these and we will see more drama. I think they should even go farther and drive new drones with black boxes so real time gps locations on all in the air can be watched (like commercial aircraft). The idea would be that if a drone is at a designated height or above, flight data would be available.
I would gladly be willing to provide data (in fact I already am via flytrax). I am still hoping they reduce the requirements for commercial use (makes no sense to force us to get a pilots license while thousands each day are flying with zero knowledge). I am good even taking a test on general aviation and registration.
If the FAA blunders much more the general public will want bans all over the place.
You can file an exemption with the FAA for commercial use.

I really fail to understand this american **** yeah i can do what i want mentality....you aren't as *free* as you think you are.

That is exactly what America was built upon.

You and I have the right to do whatever we please, whenever we please, where ever we please. The only caveat is that our actions to do not adversely impact another's freedoms. When we ignore this fact and act in an irresponsible manner that has a measurable adverse effect on another, then we can expect to be held accountable for our actions.

The quintessential example often used is: I have the right, if I so desire to swing my fists back and forth all day long and not expect any interference. However, once my fist comes in contact with your nose, then I can expect to suffer the consequence of my irresponsibility to the fullest extent of the law.

Reactions: mtnmaddman

You and I have the right to do whatever we please, whenever we please, where ever we please. The only caveat is that our actions to do not adversely impact another's freedoms. When we ignore this fact and act in an irresponsible manner that has a measurable adverse effect on another, then we can expect to be held accountable for our actions.

The quintessential example often used is: I have the right, if I so desire to swing my fists back and forth all day long and not expect any interference. However, once my fist comes in contact with your nose, then I can expect to suffer the consequence of my irresponsibility to the fullest extent of the law.

Amen, If you do a search on how many babies in strollers were killed by pit bulls vs. how many children killed by drones. You will soon figure that they are registering you not your fricking flying camera.

I am supposed to be intimated by USDOT?
I will not comply sorry, err, I mean I just sold mine to a random guy who paid cash. So now what?
FBI kicks my door in?
You think they could clean the heroin needles off the sidewalk on their way in?
Or check on the unconscious homeless person?
Unfathomably unenforceable for responsible/aware/tactical UAS users without developer intervention.

I would love to see prosecution for merely failing to register. In fact I eagerly await the oncoming judicial smack down.
I live in a city of 2 million and typical police response times for non violent crimes is three to four hours on a good day. Best of luck getting them to work on enforcing this.
Come to think of it, I have not registered my daily driver in 3 years and have yet to hear a thing about it...

Reactions: Machoman

Except these days people will deliberately walk in your swinging arms.

America has changed from that which your precious declaration purposes. The countries ideals are still the same though ....blood, slavery, patriotism, treachery, etc...

We haven't been free for a long time now...we are mearly shown the illusion of freedom.

Anyway we both digress....

Registration should be required....people need to be held accountable.

Last edited:
"Registration should be required....people need to be held accountable."

Typical Seattle resident. You know how many firearms I have sold from out of state?
I594 is a joke and another example of wildly unenforceable legislation. .
Keep supporting laws that have no impact on the issues they are attempting to control, other than to turn responsible citizens into criminals.

Go to 3rd and Jackson and tell me we need any government time (City, County, State, or Federal) wasted on trying to enforce wackjob legislation. You should be more concerned about the blood filled hypodermic needles that litter your whole city rather than whats flying around.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips