Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Unbelievably upset!

Sorry to hear about your loss and issues. I know for myself I'm a experience pilot but when flying new devices I believe we have to take more precaution regardless of our skill set and to film a few flights before assuming all is clear to document the experience to be used for possible support along with the flight data that is recorded so it could be shared to others if need be.

I feel your pain, this must be uncomfortable. Something so boring happens. would pale night through, certain this happened to me. Hope it can be arrange parts.I would have been bad certain it happened to me:(:(:(:(

Is there any chance the software/firmware on either auto-land or manual control caused an inadvertent entry into Vortex Ring State?

Did you read what the op said...? 'The unit just dropped like a sack of potatoes from about 4-5 feet upon a return to home." or are you just making noise?

personaly i wouldnt trust return to home after reading this. manual all the way

Was this in auto-land mode or were you just hovering in slowly? In other words, were you hands off and it decided to just plummet? I'm sure something failed, probably not compass related, more flow sensors or main power. I hope you get treated properly!

Last edited:
Reactions: turbodronepilot
Mountainpilot because of your name can I ask at what altitude you were flying at? Also the question that was asked about how the landing was initiated is pertinent to determining what happened. If it was an auto landing then after about 3 feet the optic wave sensors should have taken over. What surface were you landing on? Was there sufficient contrast and illumination for the function to work. If not then the Pilot would have had to intervene. Manual landing is controlled by the Pilot not the sensors. They help make the landing smooth but do not take control. The last question that I have was what was the battery percentage when the landing occurred? That will also effect how the craft lands. I am not saying it is Pilot error there could have been a component failure. You may have much more experience than me as a Pilot. But I know for a fact that I have more time on the Inspire. It is not as simple to operate as marketing would lead you to believe and the understanding curve of the App and all its control nuances takes time. There is nothing else like it on the market at this time. The flight logging is available to DJI upon return and they can determine exactly what happened in your flight. May I ask were you are located and what Service Center you contacted? If it is the US then I may be able to assist and expedite your case.

Mountainpilot because of your name can I ask at what altitude you were flying at? Also the question that was asked about how the landing was initiated is pertinent to determining what happened. If it was an auto landing then after about 3 feet the optic wave sensors should have taken over. What surface were you landing on? Was there sufficient contrast and illumination for the function to work. If not then the Pilot would have had to intervene. Manual landing is controlled by the Pilot not the sensors. They help make the landing smooth but do not take control. The last question that I have was what was the battery percentage when the landing occurred? That will also effect how the craft lands. I am not saying it is Pilot error there could have been a component failure. You may have much more experience than me as a Pilot. But I know for a fact that I have more time on the Inspire. It is not as simple to operate as marketing would lead you to believe and the understanding curve of the App and all its control nuances takes time. There is nothing else like it on the market at this time. The flight logging is available to DJI upon return and they can determine exactly what happened in your flight. May I ask were you are located and what Service Center you contacted? If it is the US then I may be able to assist and expedite your case.
That's great information Tahoe Ed ..I know it's off topic ,but since you have a lot of experience with the inspire 1 would you mind explaining how the different flight modes work ?? Thanks ..

4300 foot elevation. Landing onto bare dirt ground with plenty of contrast and light to enable any optical flow sensors. Unit was at 49% power when i was ready to land the craft. As stated i was in a return to home when the unit was descending and when at about roughly eye level .. perhaps a bit more as it all happened so quick the unit just dropped. the more i think about things the more i am sure this happened simultaneously to the arms beginning to lower into a landing mode. It was not a soft drop either it was more of a thrusted decent that happened in a blink of the eye. imagine a quick take off but in reverse is the best way i can describe it.

unit is packaged and being returned to dji. i will let you all know what their findings are once i hear from them.

anxiously awaiting the outcome of this episode. It sounds like equipment failure, not pilot error.

That's great information Tahoe Ed ..I know it's off topic ,but since you have a lot of experience with the inspire 1 would you mind explaining how the different flight modes work ?? Thanks ..

GPS is about the same as on the A2/Phantom/Naza however it adds the Optical Flow sensors. It is a down facing camera and a ultrasonic tx/rx and is useful when GPS is not available. We have been flying the Inspire at CES using the Optical Flow system in what is basically a steal building. It is extremely stable. ATTI is the same as what you are familiar with. F Mode is GPS plus IOC. Right now only CL is available via the App.

Hey mountainpilot. .been thinking about your situation a lot lately..I wanted to tell you that I get the feeling that things are going to work out for you! I don't believe it was pilot error. .purely a guess ,but I think you had a barometer error while landing,causing your inspire1 to crash.

Did you read what the op said...? 'The unit just dropped like a sack of potatoes from about 4-5 feet upon a return to home." or are you just making noise?
I have had one or two inadvertent enteries into VRS when my Phantom dropped "like a sack of potatoes" and hit the ground HARD. Do you even know what Vortex Ring State is???? And, that ALL rotary wing flying machines from a Phantom to a V-22 Osprey are susceptible?

I have had one or two inadvertent enteries into VRS when my Phantom dropped "like a sack of potatoes" and hit the ground HARD. Do you even know what Vortex Ring State is???? And, that ALL rotary wing flying machines from a Phantom to a V-22 Osprey are susceptible?
Interesting. .didn't think it was possible to get vrs 4 or 5 feet off the ground..

It is actually a state whereby the rotors enter into their own disturbed air, either from backwash from the ground or descending too quickly and the net result is a stall condition on the blades, causing the vehicle to "drop like a sack of potatoes"

It is actually a state whereby the rotors enter into their own disturbed air, either from backwash from the ground or descending too quickly and the net result is a stall condition on the blades, causing the vehicle to "drop like a sack of potatoes"
That makes sense. .how would a person avoid backwash ??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alecia4669