Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Warm batteries from the case WEIRD!

Reaction score
I went to check on my batteries as I haven't been able to fly for a couple of weeks, though I did charge them last week thinking I was going to fly. Funny thing is that my #1 and 2 TB48s were warm to the touch almost as f they had been flying not quite that hot though, yet #3 and 4 stored on the other side with the same approximate charge with 3 LEDs lit were literally cold. Can anyone explain to me what's at play here? neither battery is swollen or shows any other side of anomaly.

I went to check on my batteries as I haven't been able to fly for a couple of weeks, though I did charge them last week thinking I was going to fly. Funny thing is that my #1 and 2 TB48s were warm to the touch almost as f they had been flying not quite that hot though, yet #3 and 4 stored on the other side with the same approximate charge with 3 LEDs lit were literally cold. Can anyone explain to me what's at play here? neither battery is swollen or shows any other side of anomaly.

It sounds like they were discharging, how many days do you have them set to start discharging in?

It sounds like they were discharging, how many days do you have them set to start discharging in?
8 days.you are probably right, I just never experinced it and the fact that they were in the case made me panic a little. I thought the process might generate some heat. The batteries are now cooling but the top where the electronics are is warmer. I was thinking they were going to burn up LOL

Last edited:

The various DJI Battery Safety Guidelines docs for LiPo batteries say the batteries will get warm when discharging. Never experienced it myself so I understand it could be alarming if I hadn't recently read those docs (there's one for each DJI drone model).

Reactions: Mixchief
To the best of my experience and DJIs
Dealer in my country, I2 batteries do not self-discharge; and specifically according to my dealer, they have to be attached to the Inspire for them to discharge. It sounds silly and weird, specially when the Phantom 4’s batts did self discharge in a stand alone basis... but I went over all the literature provided by dji and finally called the dealer and asked him about this since I needed to take the drone with me on a commercial flight and wanted to discharge the batteries for safety measures. The answer I got from him is that you have to install each pair of batteries on the drone and power it, only so will they discharge. Pretty absurd.

Anyways, I have never been able to discharge them by any other means than actually flying or at least powering up the motors; I have left the fully charged batteries for more than three weeks, and they still hold a full charge after that much time, even though I configured them on the software to self discharge in 7 days. So I guess the mystery stands. No chance of getting a reply from DJIs support, obviously.... I wrote them about this about this two months ago and I’m still waiting for an answer.

If any of you guys know better, I would appreciate your comments on this one.

Dealer in my country, I2 batteries do not self-discharge; and specifically according to my dealer, they have to be attached to the Inspire for them to discharge. It sounds silly and weird, specially when the Phantom 4’s batts did self discharge in a stand alone basis... but I went over all the literature provided by dji and finally called the dealer and asked him about this since I needed to take the drone with me on a commercial flight and wanted to discharge the batteries for safety measures. The answer I got from him is that you have to install each pair of batteries on the drone and power it, only so will they discharge. Pretty absurd.

Anyways, I have never been able to discharge them by any other means than actually flying or at least powering up the motors; I have left the fully charged batteries for more than three weeks, and they still hold a full charge after that much time, even though I configured them on the software to self discharge in 7 days. So I guess the mystery stands. No chance of getting a reply from DJIs support, obviously.... I wrote them about this about this two months ago and I’m still waiting for an answer.

Inspire 2 batteries will self discharge, you have to set the amount of days when you want them to start discharging in the GO4 App battery section.

My Mavic Pro batteries do this, not caught my Inspire batts doing yet, but I will :)

I've had the same experience with my MP Platinum once.... so now, I don't leave the batteries installed on the MP during prolong downtime and out of the bag.

I'm not sure what literature you went through or the level of product knowledge your dealer possesses but page 27 of the Inspire 2 user manual clearly states that the batteries will/do self discharge after a defined period.

I have my batteries set to discharge in five days. I must say I have never experienced this with the batteries getting warm.

I have my batteries set to discharge in five days. I must say I have never experienced this with the batteries getting warm.
it could set you back a couple of gray hairs let me tell you, I had no idea, been a little over a year with the Inspire and never did I feel warm batteries.

So as the batteries get discharged it will cause warm and with that try to put it in a cool place to reduce heat.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont