Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Watch out hand catching an inspire....

It's up to people if they want to hand catch but the reality is; it's not if it goes wrong but when. No such thing as new accidents.

I have done the same as @Eric but one must be very careful. Started doing when landing surfaces were just too difficult to land. I lower craft to a couple feet, landing gears down and grab over the top onto GPS dome, then cut power with left hand on left stick. Only once did I have a near incident because I had on loose clothing and prop wind began to kick my clothing into the props. Quick move away prevented disaster. I agree it is VERY dangerous and can ONLY be done with extreme caution and by adults with long reaches. My daughter who flies camera does not do this. I've done this most likely over 75 times. I have to be careful to NOT become over-confident and not respect the power of the blades. This accident is a good reminder! Thanks

QUOTE="VisualPoets, post: 158656, member: 24263"]I have done the same as @Eric but one must be very careful. Started doing when landing surfaces were just too difficult to land. I lower craft to a couple feet, landing gears down and grab over the top onto GPS dome, then cut power with left hand on left stick. Only once did I have a near incident because I had on loose clothing and prop wind began to kick my clothing into the props. Quick move away prevented disaster. I agree it is VERY dangerous and can ONLY be done with extreme caution and by adults with long reaches. My daughter who flies camera does not do this. I've done this most likely over 75 times. I have to be careful to NOT become over-confident and not respect the power of the blades. This accident is a good reminder! Thanks[/QUOTE]2002_1123_125150AA.JPG

Yes it is, a very good one. I go to ultra focus mode and do a a clothes check before hand. Pretty sure my CF props would do more damage than stock too. I worked on F15's and felt much more in danger working them ;-). Try standing in a puddle of fuel finding the leak when up in full burner.

Reactions: Pescatoral Pursuit
I hand catch my phantoms all the time. I haven't worked up the cahonies yet to try with the I1. Mainly because I just simply don't know where the heck to try to gab it.

Grabbing it by one leg seems a bad idea. Getting to the battery compartment seems risky at best with the legs down. Any further and you risk covering the VPS which is going to make the drone do something stupid. And further and you are into the gimbal. I just don't really know a practical area to go for.

What I do is I lie down on the ground where it's uneven or if there isn't enough space to land, I will use my chest and belly to create a larger surface. I put the remote above my head and reach up for the controls. Once the bird is near, I slowly lower it towards myself and when it's close to my body, I take a deep breath and try to push out my belly as far as I can to create a "dome", which causes the 4 corners of the inspire to sort of grab around my belly and center itself on my belly so that it won't move side to side on landing.. Once it makes contact, I power the drone down and wait for the props to stop.

I've done this at least 100,000 times and it's my preferred method of landing now as I think it's much safer and easier, as long as I don't get an erection.

We have this product back in stock again (and shipped all back orders today):
Hand Catch 1.jpg Hand Catch 2.png Hand Catch 3.png Hand Catch 4.png

The red clamp can be left on the Inspire and the handles screw on whenever you need them. They are extremely light weight and add a little bit of extra safety to hand catching the Inspire. Common uses are on boats, beaches & dusty environments (avoiding the dust and sand kicking up everywhere is you don't use a launch / landing pad). They are $44 and here is the link: Secraft Hand Catch for DJI Inspire

They work on both the Inspire 1 and the Inspire 2.

Thanks!

View attachment 15096 View attachment 15097 View attachment 15098 View attachment 15099

The red clamp can be left on the Inspire and the handles screw on whenever you need them. They are extremely light weight and add a little bit of extra safety to hand catching the Inspire. Common uses are on boats, beaches & dusty environments (avoiding the dust and sand kicking up everywhere is you don't use a launch / landing pad). They are $44 and here is the link: Secraft Hand Catch for DJI Inspire

Thanks!
For continuous air to ground shots these are the way to go. That said I feel safer catching the GPS hump.
Great build quality, I highly recommend these.

View attachment 15096 View attachment 15097 View attachment 15098 View attachment 15099

Thanks!

Used these this weekend and they are awesome. Had a shoot on the beach and the drone never touched the ground between the hand catches and the GPC case.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaisyBanue